Would these be Legal?

Started by evileye_wrx, August 2, 2008, 10:02

evileye_wrx

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123 m

They look frikken awesome, but would they let out the light? Would reflectors work etc. Wouldn't fancy buying, or doing something similar then get pulled for it.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

uktotty

Its a shame you are looking at them Phil, I saw them a few weeks ago for £12 !!
Not sure about the legality, the guy says they allow most of the light through but would question the reflector bit as you say.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "uktotty"Its a shame you are looking at them Phil, I saw them a few weeks ago for £12 !!
Not sure about the legality, the guy says they allow most of the light through but would question the reflector bit as you say.

I was more thinking of doing something similar rather than buying at that price. I suppose I could pick up some cheap lights and see how it turns out

Phil
Phil

ChrisGB

I have seen similar on any number of chavvy fiestas, clios etc round here. They reduce the visibility of your brake and turn signals as well as your side lights and reflecctors, so really should be an off road only accessory IMO.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

northernalex

Phil.. they look pants!.. complete pants... like the kinda pants that Russ would wear..
And you dont want you car looking like Russ's pants (or shirts) lol
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

GSB

Quote from: "evileye_xc"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220254803256&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

They look frikken awful...

Fixed.

They are utter crap. And they are also utterly illegal.

Sir, you do not drive a Corsa, so please, pretty please, pretty -pretty please, do not "modify" your car in the manner of a misguided Corsa owner... Honestly, blacked out lights are just never going to look like anything other than lights that have been painted...

Quote from: "GSB, to a Yaris owner several years ago, on another forum..."The sad fact is that any modification you do to your car has to be declared to your insurance company. How do you think they'll react when you say, "I've painted my rear lights black..."

The other issues here are pure physics and the legality of the blacked out lights...

The law states that your lights must be clean. Didnt know that did you? It doesn't say it in those words obviously, but it means that nothing must interfere or obstruct the lights so that other road users cant see them. If you have dirty lights the police can and will pull you, fine you, and endorse your license. By painting over them with any kind of tint, or paint, you are reducing the transmission of light from your taillamps, by making them as black as the ones in the photo they may as well be covered in mud. They certainly no longer comply with the standards set in law for taillights and thus the car no longer complys with the construction and use regs. That means your insurance is invalid.

Now another word of warning: a few years ago a man I know was involved in an accident beacuse the person behind him couldn't see his rear lights. He served time in prison for the offense...

And just one other thing reagrding the black paint on those lights... It looks crap too.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

DannyN

Quote from: "evileye_xc"http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220254803256&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

They look frikken awesome, but would they let out the light? Would reflectors work etc. Wouldn't fancy buying, or doing something similar then get pulled for it.

Phil

I like the idea mate,  dunno whether I like the ones on ebay but I like the idea,
Think I'd like mine 'smoked' if that makes any sense
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "DannyN"

Phil

I like the idea mate,  dunno whether I like the ones on ebay but I like the idea,
Think I'd like mine 'smoked' if that makes any sense

Yeah, thanks for the views people. I've been looking for some kind of cover for the rear lights ever since no one could decide on a design for Simon Tan to make. I would like something looking less big and red so a cover, darkening etc would do the trick. As per the title I did feel something along these lines might increase the chances of Police intervention so wasn't sure.  There is a guy up our way offering to make pieces in carbon fibre so perhaps I will have a word with him about what we can do. Perhaps some sort of cover which does not darken the lights/ refectors themselves but gives a new and unique look to the rear end of the car

Phil
Phil

ChrisGB

Hmmm, how about a nice carbon fibre lip spoiler covering the rear light sides and tops and running just above the rear bumper between the lights? Mind, any reduction in lift it may produce will translate to high speed understeer potentially.

My view, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Jaik

There was a company that did these for the Cappuccino (my last car):

...compared to the standard ones...

It's a fibreglass shell that fits in the normal place (though you could use carbon fibre, obviously  s;) ;) s;) ) and has a couple of Hella light units in which you can buy from kit car part supplier, Demon Tweeks and various others.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Hmmm, how about a nice carbon fibre lip spoiler covering the rear light sides and tops and running just above the rear bumper between the lights? Mind, any reduction in lift it may produce will translate to high speed understeer potentially.

My view, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chris

You mean a bit like a Veilside (?) spoiler, or is it Damd? I forget. Definitely a possibility.

My view, if it looks like everyone elses, change it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Phil

Draggon

Mmmm I wanted something like this...but no one makes em yet.  s:( :( s:(

Yes I know...terrible paintshop...but hopefully you get the idea

Sorry if this pic is someones car on here...I stole/borrowed etc the pic ages ago to give SimonTan the example on the thread relating to rear lights etc...it looked better in grey to show what I meant at the time
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

Its mine,. i don't have a problem with it, but im a current member, not hard to find, would have been polite to ask.

Wabbitkilla

Can't see the point of doing that to your lights - looks hideous!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Can't see the point of doing that to your lights - looks hideous!
+millionty

Anonymous

Rice, a milion paddy fields, do not do it.

Jaik

I don't think it looks that bad, but it's definitely worse than stock  s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

Ze Style Police say burn eeet!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Draggon

Quote from: "nelix"Its mine,. i don't have a problem with it, but I'm a current member, not hard to find, would have been polite to ask.

Ahh sorry nelix...I had no intention of showing it on anywhere else than on this forum   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

I was looking at something a bit more integrated for the back lights...rather than a big stuck on light cluster (I like the rear lights, was just mulling over having something a bit sexier) not to everyones taste admittedly....and my photoshop techniques ruined beutiful car pic...sorry again   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Liz

I am sure that Simontan does a cover for the rear lights in a similar vein to the headlight eyebrows.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

uktotty

And if he doesnt then he will now  s:) :) s:)

DannyN

There was lots of discussion about a rear cover from Simon but novbody seemed to able to make up their mind what they wanted so I think the idea fell by the wayside
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Tags: