ALLOYS

Started by Anonymous, January 17, 2004, 19:46

Anonymous

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I noticed one of my alloys corroding, I went round to Mr T's today, they took one look and said, "Oh yes five spoke alloy, we'll have a replacement on wednesday".
Do I take it this is a common fault and can I expect more of the same???  s:?: :?: s:?:

Liz

Lots of info about this on:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... ing+alloys m

Hope this helps with a common problem.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

One of mine has started to flake too... yet another thing on the list for them to fix!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Lots of info about this on:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... ing+alloys m

Hope this helps with a common problem.

Thanks Liz.
I don't know if it's a help or a hinderance, I've just had the power steering pump changed and now the alloys are going, scanning this forum it looks like I may have a few problems with the Mr2 as I did with my Crapica (oops sorry Celica)

Anonymous

I had a complete set changed after about 10 months from the car being new and now the second  set are going as well after another 10 months   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  Shoddy really as it seems to be common as said by others..

Anonymous

Toyota reliability??????????????

Liz

Mine goes in soon for its power steering pump, before I completely go mad with it whining at me when I am sitting at traffic lights etc. I keep nudging the wheel just to make it shut up for 5 seconds!!

heathstimpson

And the 03 light clusters seals go very quickly as well  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

I know you all hate me when I bring this up, but nothing really has gone wrong with my car... as for the alloys, they were used for 12 months and there isn't a single mark on them; they are being stored in a leaky garage and having looked at them a few days ago, they are still OK.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I know you all hate me when I bring this up, but nothing really has gone wrong with my car... as for the alloys, they were used for 12 months and there isn't a single mark on them; they are being stored in a leaky garage and having looked at them a few days ago, they are still OK.

Could be a static build up, road salt, electrolosis thingy.
Maybe thats where I'm going wrong, (leave them in the garage!)   s:D :D s:D

SteveJ

Quote from: "Les"
Quote from: "Slacey"I know you all hate me when I bring this up, but nothing really has gone wrong with my car... as for the alloys, they were used for 12 months and there isn't a single mark on them; they are being stored in a leaky garage and having looked at them a few days ago, they are still OK.

Could be a static build up, road salt, electrolosis thingy.
Maybe thats where I'm going wrong, (leave them in the garage!)   s:D :D s:D

The failure of the powder coat is due to hot particles coming from the brake pads damaging the lacquer - this then allow moisture to penetrate into the alluminium alloy below, which corrodes causing the blisters.

The wheels that are (were - not sure if they still are) being refurbed by Pristine near MK are getting a different coating which is more resistant to this kind of failure.

Anonymous

Checked the other wheels today after washing, all the others are showing signs of corrosion!!!!  s:x :x s:x    s:x :x s:x    s:x :x s:x

zud

I've just had mine replaced, and MrT said they were new wheels rather than refurbs.  But, they made me wait a couple of months for new stock which is supposed to have cured the bubbling problem.  

I also mentioned the rusting calipers... and they agreed to paint them as well... they're now black and look great with the new wheels.  A feather in the cap for T W Hawkins of Ewell (the dealer) and a very happy '2 owner (me)   s:D :D s:D
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

N-i-iiiiiiiiice!

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

On the issue of replacement alloys there was certainly the use of Pristine to refurb alloys due to the numbers and having used them personally they did do a good job.

However I was led to believe I was given a new set by the dealer although they could have been mistaken. They certainly came beautifully packed in big Toyota boxes and wrapped in tissue paper so might have been new.

A complete set of SSR's Type-Cs look more and more attractive once the warranty starts to run out ...

Anonymous

When I had mine replaced last summer (just before warranty expiry), the replacements came with Japanese symbols printed on the inside edge of the rims; so either Pristine are doing this, or I got a brand new set.

markiii

I think they have run out of stock in the Uk to refurb, so now when you have warranty work done they are new wheels.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

dancarbon

We had ours replaced last July, but when I was checking the wheels on wednesday (the brakes had rusted and locked tight whilst I was on holiday) I see that the new wheels had bubbled worse than the originals  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Here we go again.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

I've had mine replaced twice.
Now that its out of warrenty I'm scared to look closely again!  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

So am I right in thinking the alloys are covered under warranty if the car is less than 3 years old? And if I take the car to my main dealer, they'll replace them asap?

Mine is is a 2001 model with 15" alloys on front and back (I think). I've heard the newer models have 16" on rear and 15" on front - would the dealer replace mine with 16"s on the rear?

Sorry for the newbie question - only got my '2 a couple of weeks ago..... but all four wheels have the blistering you all describe.

TIA

JG

aaronjb

They should replace them, yes - you might have to do a little persuading, but it is something covered by the warranty.

They won't replace them with the 2003 sized wheels though, you'll get 15"s all round - I would imagine 16's on the rear would put your speedo out (as their rolling radius was designed to work with the 2003 models 6 speed gearbox)..

HTH,
Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Got ours going in shortly as the disks are yuck - locked up the other day - they blame it on keeping it garaged - and theres me thinking thats the best place for it.

Um - subtle hint, check out my avanta - mentioning no names   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

When my alloys were replaced, I tried my best girlie tricks to get a set of 16's for the back but they wouldn't play   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

My car is booked in for it's 10k service on Friday and it's getting the alloys replaced for bubbling/corrosion after 10 months. Dealer (Arnold Clark - Aberdeen) not quibbling it at all and didn't look to surprised when he looked at the wheels yesterday.

I had stupidly managed to kerb one of the rear alloys a month ago as well and they're not quibbling the replacement of that wheel - so I suppose in one way this is really quite handy..  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I've now got my car booked in for 21st - dealer (Steven Eagell, Milton Keynes) didn't quibble either. They just checked them over and asked when I could bring it in.

Thanks for all the help above!

JG

Tags: