AFR pegs lean when trying to get going..

Started by aaronjb, August 4, 2008, 10:24

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "aaronjb"I'm starting to think I need to bring lube   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

flatterer  :-) :-) :-)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  So what you're saying is.. I won't feel a thing?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

hit you on teh head with an 1/2" ratchet mate and it will all be over before you know it  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

You just want to get me back for dropping one on your head that time  s;) ;) s;)

Aaanyway.. ahem.. was there a topic here?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

SimonC_Here

So it wasn't just me dropping ratchets on your head Mark!

Anonymous

What's the latest, Aaron?

aaronjb

You just had to ask...

It was going fine - flatspots were gone, I was starting to map with the boost controller..

Then I noticed this morning that idle was leaner than it should be (it's usually ~12.8:1, and it was 14.5:1).. damn I thought, oh well maybe just a glitch.

On the way home idle got leaner and leaner.. OMGWTFBBQ, I thought.

Then I noticed the horrible blowing exhaust noise, and the fact that the engine was idling steady and true even though the AFR read 19:1.

Ahh, that'll be because one of the nuts has dropped off the manifold->turbo joint again, making a big air leak.

PHEW!

Just means I have to get up early tomorrow with a bag o' nuts and fix it again - hopefully I didn't blow the gasket out (fortunately the single plate Nissan gaskets are very sturdy, so hopefully I'll be OK on that front.)

markiii

did you fit teh nissan locking plates?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Nope, never did get any - it only drops off every ~6000 miles, so it's not really that bad  s;) ;) s;)

I'm going to replace the nut with an aerolock tomorrow, should be good to go again.

aaronjb

Well I take that back, it's not one nut that's fallen off.

It's all four.

They were there before the last weekend, too, I'm pretty sure. Apparently whenever I push the car hard, they decide to drop off.

Oh, and you can't get to two of them without having the car on a lift of above you in some way, possibly even without taking the entire exhaust system off the car and doing it on a bench like the first time it was put together.

Fucking car. I really do think it's time I grew up and bought something sensible - this just happens at the wrong time entirely, every time.

spit

Quote from: "Markiii"did you fit the nissan locking plates?
Quote from: "aaronjb"Nope, never did get any

1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

I have a spare set in my garage, if your still coming over on Saturday we can fit them

SteveJ

Use hi-temp k-nuts - 26k so far and not lost a single one (not had to tighten them either!). They arent cheap though - ~£5 each   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"I have a spare set in my garage, if your still coming over on Saturday we can fit them

If I can make it to yours with two out of four nuts in place (I should be able to.. well, worst that can happen is it sets light to the car!)

edward.carter

Read this from the beginning last night, i can offer nothing in ways of technical expertise, just to say hang in there and good luck!!   s:) :) s:)  
fingers and toes wil be crossed all weekend!

aaronjb

Thanks Ed, I'm just all ..   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  at the moment with the car. It always breaks when I could really, really do with it not doing so!

edward.carter

its always the way mate, i know mines no where near as bad as yours but having just brought first house, was a pretty bad time for the gearbox to go, but, just one of them, lobbed all the bits on credit card, worry bout them later lol  s:) :) s:)

philster_d

i am picking the nissan parts up for mine tomorow. So if you wanted to i could re order them and you use them, if they were the same? I know you using a different turbo

philster_d

Oh yeah with regard to the K nuts mark said also to get them but is there a size or anything ? i was going to get them on DT

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Well I take that back, it's not one nut that's fallen off.

It's all four.

They were there before the last weekend, too, I'm pretty sure. Apparently whenever I push the car hard, they decide to drop off.

Just a thought, but could be that either surface isn't completely level. My manifold nuts kept popping off every time I pushed it and in the end it turned out to be a twisted manifold flange surface.  s:( :( s:(  Got it machined and have had no issues since.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

Quote from: "philster_d"Oh yeah with regard to the K nuts mark said also to get them but is there a size or anything ? i was going to get them on DT

Hi-temp M8x1.25 is what I ordered from DT - they work a treat.

One thing to keep in mind - they bind onto the stud, so dont rely on a torque wrench to do them up - you need to add a little more (not much) to the setting. Personally I have done mine up to the point at which the gaskets stopped leaking and then left them and havent had (touch wood) a single problem since.

aaronjb

I don't think there's enough clearance to get a K nut onto three out of the four studs on my setup, sadly - there's only just enough space to get a plain nut onto two studs (literally it just fits past the end of the stud).

I got all four nuts back on eventually with the aid of a lot of swearing, but sadly I've blown out the gasket, because tight as I do the nuts up, exhaust gas is still merrily pissing out between the rearward facing edge of the manifold/turbo interface.

Which means the whole lot is going to have to come off at the weekend.. which is going to be a nightmare.

That early model S2000 is looking awfully tempting again (not that I'd fit, so perhaps a Mk2 MX-5).

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "aaronjb"Well I take that back, it's not one nut that's fallen off.

It's all four.

Just a thought, but could be that either surface isn't completely level. My manifold nuts kept popping off every time I pushed it and in the end it turned out to be a twisted manifold flange surface.  s:( :( s:(  Got it machined and have had no issues since.

If it's that then it's definitely all coming off and going back to stock.. That may well be what I do in the end anyway, as I just don't have the patience for this anymore, and I don't like to keep relying on peoples assistance (and garages and hospitality, in the case of Mark).  So I think it's probably time I sold both the cars and bought a relatively reliable runaround that can just go back to the dealer for servicing.

I'm not entirely convinced about the sanity of doing Anglesea now, either, as it's probably the thing will just fall apart on track.

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"If it's that then it's definitely all coming off and going back to stock..

I did that once, when it felt like I just got an issue after another and didn't have too much time to work on them. Drove around like that for one summer and slowly worked on all the little bugs I've had. After that it has been running perfectly for me.

If you're not in a hurry to get rid of the car, might wanna give that a go. Just take everything off and drive around like that for a while. Then start putting them back when you feel like it.  s8) 8) s8)

Hope you find a way to get everything working. I'd love to see you with a reliable boost.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

philster_d

I feel the same guilt around always relying on everyone elses kindness to help.

/Philster.

Tags: