URGENT HELP PLEASE - GEARBOX

Started by Anonymous, August 4, 2008, 22:50

Anonymous

I have just bought a MR2 roadster today, my dad went to pick it up for me, and he thinks that a bearing has gone on the gearbox.
its a 2001, also the engine oil light flashes when you hit on the brakes.

The noise from the gearbox has got louder on the way home from my dad picking it up, about 30 miles.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.

I will be going to Toyota tommorow to see if they can find out what it is.

Also I forgot to mention, the car has had a new clutch in April 08, and the seller told me that the Toyota had told him that the gearbox will burn excessive oil with a new clutch

enid_b

would suggest taking it straight back to where you got it from, get your money back and choose a different one.

you dont want anything to do with that car mate

E

(welcome by the way)  s:) :) s:)
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Liz

Hi and welcome along to the club and sorry that one of your first posts is with a problem.

First things - what year is the car?
Private or trade purchase
Have you seen bills for the new clutch so that you can ring the engineer to tell them that is bollocks about the gearbox oil  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
My primary concern if I was you would be the engine oil coming on when braking - you say "hit" the brakes - emergency style or normal? Have you checked the oil level?
Service history?
Did you find this forum after buying the car??
Did you test drive it?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Was it a private sale? If not straight back in the morning with it, if so i think you should still do your utmost to get your cash back.

Anonymous

it was a private sale,
the oil light comes on when braking normal.

It has got full dealer service history, and no problems gearbox wise have been reported - apart from a burnt out clutch which was replaced.

Liz

Have you checked the oil level?

markiii

the clutch will not affect gearbox oile the clutch area is titally dry

the oil light is not coonnected anyway as it refers to teh engine oil

if it's on check your oil NOW
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

there is no oil what so ever in it.

I know this would explain the oil light, but what about the noise from the gearbox.

Are the engine/gearbox oil combined or seperate?

markiii

seperate if tehre is no oil at all it's probably fubared

suggest you take a read of teh precat thread in maintenance and take it bask ASAP

the gearbox noise is likely teh engine unbless the car is truly fubared on multiple fronts as teh 2 are totally unconnected
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

I really would try and return the car, worth a go, even if its private. All I've read so far indicates, as Mark has said, that you have at least two areas of concern, duff gearbox and engine. That will make the car worth very little , as is, I'm sorry to say. A great shame and I do feel for you, but this does sound like its  going to be very expensive to sort out.
If the car is still under warranty, then Toyota may be able to fix it, but I really wouldn't want a car like that if it could be avoided.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Just looking back at its history it had a Exhaust Manifold replaced in April.
And the seller told me that this is under warranty for 12 months. Edit sorry, the car is not under warranty the parts are.

So if I go to Toyota, do they know about the Pre-Cat fault?

northernalex

Quote from: "DeeJ"Just looking back at its history it had a Exhaust Manifold replaced in April.
And the seller told me that this is under warranty for 12 months.

Yes, and they will replace engines that are under 7 years old with Full service history ( I think it has to be Toyota) - but Toyota like to deny anything that would show unrelaiblity on their cars. Id seriously be back to the guy you bought it off and threaten him with court... I mean you did ask if the car had any problems and he said no...!  right?

Alex

Edit.. where are you based?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

markiii

Quote from: "DeeJ"Just looking back at its history it had a Exhaust Manifold replaced in April.

yes and no

they are aware of teh 1zz burning oil, they don't accept it's precats

it it had the manifold replaced in April it will be due to precat failure, evidently it wasn't  fixed soon enough to save teh engine

likewise if they didn't change teh main cat you probably have teh old precats in it blocking exhaust flow. Is the car down on power?

markiii

Quote from: "northernalex"

Yes, and they will replace engines that are under 7 years old with Full service history ( I think it has to be Toyota) - but Toyota like to deny anything that would show unrelaiblity on their cars. Id seriously be back to the guy you bought it off and threaten him with court... I mean you did ask if the car had any problems and he said no...!  right?

Alex

Edit.. where are you based?

well sometime they will with full service history, however if it's a 51 plate it won;t be under 7 years old as of July/August

Anonymous

The car is 2001, may just miss the warranty, but I rang the seller earlier and he said take it to toyota and see whats wrong with it and he would see what he could do.

northernalex

What mark said --- 2001... no goodwill/warrenty repairs possibly by Toyota.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

The car is not at all down on power

Anonymous

It was registered January 2001, so I have missed the warranty

onion86

Quote from: "DeeJ"there is no oil what so ever in it.

I know this would explain the oil light, but what about the noise from the gearbox.

Are the engine/gearbox oil combined or seperate?

I'm assuming you've put some in it now?   s:? :? s:?  

This doesn't sound good to me. Good luck with Toyota, I hope for your sake it's something 'simple', although it doesn't sound like it's going to be. Therefore, good luck getting your money back...
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "DeeJ"The car is not at all down on power

Have you driven any other MR2's to compare it against?

Simon

StuM

Hi and welcome.  Sorry to read of your problems.

What type of tests/checks did you do on the car before buying?  Did you check the oil level?  You say it was a 30 mile journey home - do you know if the seller used the car much between you agreeing the deal and picking it up?  

Did you sign anything when you bought it to say "sold as seen"?  If (as seems likely at this stage) the engine is suffering pre-cat failure it would have been a gradual decline that the seller was aware of - the replaced manifold points to this.  Did you ask him why the manifold was replaced?  Once you know the state of the car, speak to your local Citizen's Advice bureau and ask them your legal rights regarding this.

Best of luck, hope it gets sorted for you and that this doesn't put you of MR2s altogether.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Liz

I wonder if the owner was aware of how bad it was - I mean if any of us were underhand enough to of sold a car in that state then we would of made sure that it was topped up with oil before it went?  I always think that its a pity  that people find us in these circumstances when there are vehicles for sale on here from known owners that have been looked after.. hope that you get it sorted, I suppose that there is a glimmer of hope seen as Mr T replaced the manifold previously.

StuM

Quote from: "Liz"I wonder if the owner was aware of how bad it was - I mean if any of us were underhand enough to of sold a car in that state then we would of made sure that it was topped up with oil before it went?

Very good point Liz, I hadn't thought of it that way.  

The one thing that is a bit odd to me is that the exhaust manifold was replaced without anything else apparently being done - if the pre-cats had gone pop in the old manifold, would Mr T not have known that the fix was bigger than that?  Or can you catch it early enough?

I would be tempted to ring the Toyota dealer that replaced the manifold and ask them why it was replaced.

Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

loadswine

Quote from: "Liz"when there are vehicles for sale on here from known owners that have been looked after..

Absolutely Liz, some we know are looked after, there are a few who join the forum just to put a free ad up for their 2.

I assume somebody checked this car over before agreeing to the deal in the first place. If its that bad, its strange these items didn't show up then. I would be pursuing the seller as much as I could and only when that runs its course, would I be spending money investigating at the dealers. If it was me, I wouldn't be at all happy and would convey that to the seller!!!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Quote from: "loadswine"....... there are a few who join the forum just to put a free ad up for their 2.

Indeed and they would be stopped if I ruled the world!!

I have been looking at other marques recently and checking out sale threads and noticed the 1 post people linking to ebay and PH ads, wouldn't touch those.

Anyhoo, I hope that OP does contact the seller - they may have a conscience, but  legally they don't have to do anything at all with the buyer beware catch all  s:( :( s:(

Tags: