URGENT HELP PLEASE - GEARBOX

Started by Anonymous, August 4, 2008, 22:50

loadswine

I think you're right Liz, private sellers escape most comebacks. I've been caught myself in the past, but who knows, a person with a conscience may exist and I have my fingers crossed for the OP that their seller is one.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

StuM

There is some good reading [Admin] Link removed upon the request of the company targeted [/Admin] regarding your rights when buying from a private seller.

Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "DeeJ"The car is not at all down on power

Have you driven any other MR2's to compare it against?

Simon

No, but my dad use to have an mx-5 1.8 and it feels more powerful than that, and my dad has drove it and he said it doesn't at all feel down on power.

I am taking it to my local garage tomorrow, and they are going to see if they can tell what the noise is.
Also I will be going to my local toyota garage to try and get someone from there to listen to the noise aswell.

Anonymous

Another quick question,
If the car had been sitting for a couple of months without being properly run, could this affect the car.

markiii

Quote from: "DeeJ"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "DeeJ"The car is not at all down on power

Have you driven any other MR2's to compare it against?

Simon

No, but my dad use to have an mx-5 1.8 and it feels more powerful than that, and my dad has drove it and he said it doesn't at all feel down on power.

I am taking it to my local garage tomorrow, and they are going to see if they can tell what the noise is.
Also I will be going to my local toyota garage to try and get someone from there to listen to the noise aswell.

not really a good comparison
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "DeeJ"Another quick question,
If the car had been sitting for a couple of months without being properly run, could this affect the car.

shouldn't do
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

StuM

Only thing I would expect is the brakes to be a bit noisy where the disks have a build up of corrosion.  Certainly wouldn't expect odd gearbox noises and would not explain the lack of oil.

Do you know what Toyota garage did the manifold?  As it was only in April, they should be able to tell you why it was done and if anything else was changed at the time.

Stu
Stu M

Anonymous

I know what garage did the change, I will ring them tomorrow and enquire about it.
But atm the oil is not worrying me its just the gearbox.

Does anyone know how much a new or recon gearbox is fitted.

Anonymous

Quote from: "StuM"

Only thing I would expect is the brakes to be a bit noisy where the disks have a build up of corrosion.  Certainly wouldn't expect odd gearbox noises and would not explain the lack of oil.

Do you know what Toyota garage did the manifold?  As it was only in April, they should be able to tell you why it was done and if anything else was changed at the time.

Stu

The exhaust manifold was replaced at a cost of £405.48, the exhaust at a cost of £383.25, and a clutch kit was fitted all in one go in April

StuM

Quote from: "DeeJ"Does anyone know how much a new or recon gearbox is fitted.

This was posted earlier today:

Clicky

Quote from: "DeeJ"But atm the oil is not worrying me its just the gearbox.

I would be reluctant to start spending any money on it until you know:

a) Why there was no engine oil in it.
b) What the sellers response is to your concerns.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Anonymous

Tenner says the gearbox is fine and your engine is b0rked. Pre-cats gone is why your manifold and exhaust were changed (when it should have been the main cat replaced as well).

Change the gearbox if you want, but I'd be shopping for a new engine first.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Tenner says the gearbox is fine and your engine is b0rked. Pre-cats gone is why your manifold and exhaust were changed (when it should have been the main cat replaced as well).

Change the gearbox if you want, but I'd be shopping for a new engine first.

But the engine pulls great,
Definetely 0-60 in sub 8 secs.
No loss through the rev range.

So I can't see the engine being knackered

markiii

rather depends on how much oil it's drinking

that cost for the manifold is half what it costs a dealer

i.e toyota manifold is £700 plu s vat

add on their markup plus labour

if they did it for that price it was a goodwill gesture, which again implies they know something

Liz

Quote from: "DeeJ"But atm the oil is not worrying me.

I think it should be your main worry, your car has been previously repaired for an engine failure, probably not had the main cat replaced and has now no oil in it.  I am prepared like the rest of us to stand corrected on this - but I will give you good odds that its your engine making the noise and not the gearbox.

In fact if it is the gearbox and you give me proof of that I will chuck a tenner in the club funds!

Still.... last I am saying on the matter, there are people on here with more knowledge than me.  Good luck.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "DeeJ"But atm the oil is not worrying me its just the gearbox.

Would it worry you if you had no blood in your body?

Trust the advice you are getting here, your engine is most probably fubar, forget about the gearbox and concentrate on trying to get your money back. Good luck.

Anonymous

Seen my local mecahnic today, he knows about the pre-cat failure, and he said that the engine is fine.
His only concern is about the gearbox - just shopping around for one now. Toyota want roughly £2000 fitted

StuM

Quote from: "DeeJ"Seen my local mecahnic today, he knows about the pre-cat failure, and he said that the engine is fine.

Sounds like you got very lucky with that bit then - even if the precats hadn't failed, driving the car with no engine oil would destroy it.

Keep an eye out for 6 speed boxes as well - you could at least get a silver lining to the cloud if you upgraded to that.
Stu M

muffdan

I hope your mechanic is right, but I don't think you'll know if your engine is fine until you've driven 500 miles. Keep a very close eye on your oil consumption, check every 200 until you know what it's using. The sump was empty for a reason!

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

markiii

Quote from: "DeeJ"Seen my local mecahnic today, he knows about the pre-cat failure, and he said that the engine is fine.

based on what? looking at it?

loadswine

I saw your link to the Autotrader ad, which may help your cause, but I am no solicitor.
One thing I am confident of though, this car is going to cost you serious money if you hang onto it, judging from what you have reported so far. The gearbox sounds like the tip of the iceberg and I know we've said it before, but put your maximum effort into returning it to the seller and getting reimbursed, its the most sensible thing you could do.
All the signs point to more than one problem, and this will hurt your wallet.
I symapthise, but this is what I would be focussing on.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

The above is good advice, the car has by your own admission been driven with no oil in it. Even if your gearbox is the problem at the moment it is highly likely that your engine will be fubar shortly. Put all your efforts into getting your money back, i would not under any circumstances spend money on the gearbox at the moment.

Tags: