where to buy breast plate?

Started by Kool PT, August 6, 2008, 18:20

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "Andy_Foz"Excuse my ignorance, but where will this go? I assume it tightens the chassis somehow? Will it be a simple bolt on affair?

Andy

It fits under the centre of the car, a direct bolt-on replacement for flimsy stock braces across the centre tunnel. As the only bracing I have added (yet!) I can definitely recommend it, it really makes the whole car feel more solid.

Viewed from the front of the car, the stock set-up looks like this -

and the Corky's (or similar) looks like this -

See the two side by side and the difference is clear -

Thats a really helpful picture, thank you. Now I know exactly the part you mean. Would love to get my hands on one of these now!

Andy

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Where are the holes for the hoses and did you remember to allow for the extra hose clips on the air conditioned cars?
Well spotted...the holes are on the manufacturing drawing - they are just not included on the FEA plot that I posted above....

Quote from: "aaronjb"Hey it's a Corky plate!
True. Although I have made a few changes with the aim of increasing stiffness and I didn't actually measure & copy from his design - I actually spent a long time under my car in the rain working it out for myself. I know it would have been easier to buy from Corky but I get huge tax benefits if I 'develop' products like this through my company   s:D :D s:D  .... I'd rather waste the cash than pay it to Mr Brown & his cronies...

Quote from: "markiii"I suspect the term developing is a tad misleading
Seriously, I am developing it rather than copying it....

Star_69

sjspitz, fair play for designing it yourself. As you are still in the early stages would you consider designing a version like the MSMB as its supposed to be better and there is nobody currently offering one since Corky doesnt do them anymore. I'm sure you'd shift more!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Tem

Quote from: "Star_69"sjspitz, fair play for designing it yourself. As you are still in the early stages would you consider designing a version like the MSMB as its supposed to be better and there is nobody currently offering one since Corky doesnt do them anymore. I'm sure you'd shift more!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

That would be interesting. I'd imagine ground shipping from UK across Europe wouldn't even be as bad as from US.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

That is already in the pipeline. First I need to get the centre brace done & dusted....

evileye_wrx

I will definitely be in for a midship type brace. Of course if you start selling those then there will be more Corky plates coming available on the 2nd hand market. Mine for a start. Anyone want dibs on it  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

StuM

Quote from: "evileye_xc"I will definitely be in for a midship type brace. Of course if you start selling those then there will be more Corky plates coming available on the 2nd hand market. Mine for a start. Anyone want dibs on it  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil

Yes, I thought that too.  Of course if there is a chance of a MSB, will that limit the number of people that would buy a breast plate though?  Guess price is the key..
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Tem

Quote from: "StuM"Of course if there is a chance of a MSB, will that limit the number of people that would buy a breast plate though?

Just what I was thinking. I assume most would be interested in the "real" thing, but like you said, price counts.

Or were you thinking about doing the breast plate first and then just adding the rest to that? IIRC, Corky tried to do that, but it just didn't work out.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jaik

What sort of price will we be looking at for those?

Anonymous

Are these still in the development process.
I am looking into getting one made myself.
Will it be alright to use rods instead of flat plate?

Anonymous

Not sure if this is acceptable to the mods, if not I'll remove this post, but there is a corkys MSMB for sale in the private sales with a front and rear strut brace:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=22360

markiii

thats fine it's your sale and it's for sale on ROC
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

StuM

Quote from: "sjspitz"I am currently developing a stiff breast plate. A test one is under fabrication - hopefully finished in the next 2 weeks. Once I have tested it I will put up more details & shall be putting them for sale.

Pretty pic as a 'taster'....

Hi,

Any news on this?

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Anonymous

Yeah. Progress has been me moaning to my fabricator to find out WTF he is up to.... I mean in the time he has been working on this, I have finished two major design jobs for his company! I am considering an engineering walk-out - but being a single person on a picket line is no fun!.

The company doing the profiled plate lost the original PO. I am being promised it ASAP but they have been pretty slow on this. Once I know it fits I will get a price from them to make 5x or 10x batches depending on how many people are interested once I know final price. I am also looking at a different fabricator who I may go to speak to at lunchtime today.

WillsSayers

Perhaps a kind admin could create a poll for this thread with the question "Will you commit to buying?"

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

StuM

Quote from: "sjspitz"Yeah. Progress has been me moaning to my fabricator to find out WTF he is up to.... I mean in the time he has been working on this, I have finished two major design jobs for his company! I am considering an engineering walk-out - but being a single person on a picket line is no fun!.

The company doing the profiled plate lost the original PO. I am being promised it ASAP but they have been pretty slow on this. Once I know it fits I will get a price from them to make 5x or 10x batches depending on how many people are interested once I know final price. I am also looking at a different fabricator who I may go to speak to at lunchtime today.

Thanks for the update.  Love the idea of a one man picket line!

Stu M

Anonymous

Hi All,

I found a place in the UK that sells breast plates and other Cusco bracing http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk

I was going to wait and see if any came up on the second hand market but as most people said that these are one of the best mods to make for handling I ordered these about 8 weeks ago and they arrived yesterday. Perhaps not the cheapest or quickest way to do it but saved me watching the "Private sales" section on the hope of getting them.

Hope this helps anyone looking for someone in the UK that sells them.

Cheers,

Bob

Anonymous

Quote from: "Duracell"Hi All,

I found a place in the UK that sells breast plates and other Cusco bracing http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk

I was going to wait and see if any came up on the second hand market but as most people said that these are one of the best mods to make for handling I ordered these about 8 weeks ago and they arrived yesterday. Perhaps not the cheapest or quickest way to do it but saved me watching the "Private sales" section on the hope of getting them.

Hope this helps anyone looking for someone in the UK that sells them.

Cheers,

Bob

How much did these cost in total?

Anonymous

Costs

Breast Plate £129.85
FSB £124.09
P&P £12.50
Total £266.44

bob

Star_69

Good find Bob. Cheers!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

gavinl

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Perhaps a kind admin could create a poll for this thread with the question "Will you commit to buying?"

Agreed, money waiting   s:D :D s:D
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus G3430 Sport
95 Supra Single Turbo
...and a nice little yaris for the wife

Gif

Naive question here, anyone know what's involved in fitting these two?

Presumably the strut brace is just unbolt strut tops and fit?  Does it fit without interfering with the plastic liner or does this need cutting / modifying?

What about the breastplate? Are there mounting bolts already in place for this or is any other work required?
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Gif"Naive question here, anyone know what's involved in fitting these two?

Presumably the strut brace is just unbolt strut tops and fit?  Does it fit without interfering with the plastic liner or does this need cutting / modifying?

What about the breastplate? Are there mounting bolts already in place for this or is any other work required?

Strut brace means cutting plastic or running without it (I do this and the front bin has stayed dry, if a little dusty). Breast plate fits in place of existing feeble factory bracing and is just a case of remove 6 bolts, drop old tin braces off, offer new one up and replace the bolts. Can even be done without jacking up the car.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

At  long last.... a prototype.... it is super-duper rigid.

I will fit it this weekend, make any nescessary modifications and kick-off a batch of 5 at the start of next year.

StuM

Looking good.  Do you have any idea of cost yet?

Many thanks,
Stu
Stu M

Tags: