where to buy breast plate?

Started by Kool PT, August 6, 2008, 18:20

custardavenger

Sorry for the hijack but once I have finished the run of FMB's I will be doing a MSMB in the Tom's construction style. Hope to be starting in late January.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

gavinl

Quote from: "StuM"Looking good.  Do you have any idea of cost yet?

Many thanks,
Stu

I'm interested also

GL
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus G3430 Sport
95 Supra Single Turbo
...and a nice little yaris for the wife

Anonymous

Now it's fitted. I was actually staggered by the improvement in feel & handing of the car....Just have a few tweaks to make to some sizes and will be ready to go for a batch.

The prototype cost me £121, this will drop when I make a good sized order (5off) but I am looking at painting options so it may go back up. It is looking like £120 - £150 and this will include the correct length stainless bolts & washers.

evileye_wrx

My Corky Breastplate was only £101 including delivery from the States

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

ChrisGB

Quote from: "evileye_xc"My Corky Breastplate was only £101 including delivery from the States

Phil

Check out the exchange rate at the moment!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

steveybmr2-173

I'd possibly be interested in one of these breast plates, since I had my recent re-work of the turbo install, next on the list is bracing, as I think the aftermarket bracing was removed from my car, I drove it yesterday, first time in ages, and after driving the Audi all of the time, the twitchness was more apparanent. I need under body bracing as well as front and rear strut bracing.

Interested to see a final product and some prices  s:) :) s:)  Might be worth a little review in MR2 Only Mag once its tried and tested too.

Steve - MR2 Only Magazine

gavinl

Any update on this - I have money ready for bracing this year.
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus G3430 Sport
95 Supra Single Turbo

gavinl

Quote from: "gavinl"Any update on this - I have money ready for bracing this year.

BUMP   s:D :D s:D
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus G3430 Sport
95 Supra Single Turbo

Anonymous

I am basically ready to kick off a batch of these - except I have a few remaining issues:

1) The cost for me to add the square holes to mate with the Toyota pipe clips adds a good wedge to the price, so I am looking into supplying standard round hole mount pipe clips. Does anyone know of a UK suppler of such parts? And to save me getting under the car again, does anyone have the diameter of the three pipes?

2) Painting - anyone know of a good (cheap) contract paint or powder coat company in the UK? I don't fancy painting them cos I do not have a garage....

nyeregis

Why bother to paint?  My original Corky's was bare alloy.  It is hardly a show item but for approx £10 an owner can pretty as desired?

Tony
Lagoon blue, hardtop, Corky\'s, Hass turbo, E Manage, A/C. Kirks.

ad_car_08

Agreed. I wouldn't be put off buying knowing I had to splash some Hammerite on.

+1 for the interested list   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

gavinl

no problem with unpainted here   s:D :D s:D
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus G3430 Sport
95 Supra Single Turbo

nitro

any news.   s:) :) s:)

MR 2ster

I'd be very interested in a group buy!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "sjspitz"I am basically ready to kick off a batch of these - except I have a few remaining issues:

1) The cost for me to add the square holes to mate with the Toyota pipe clips adds a good wedge to the price, so I am looking into supplying standard round hole mount pipe clips. Does anyone know of a UK suppler of such parts? And to save me getting under the car again, does anyone have the diameter of the three pipes?

2) Painting - anyone know of a good (cheap) contract paint or powder coat company in the UK? I don't fancy painting them cos I do not have a garage....

Hi. I could put you in touch with a couple of excellent and reliable engineering firms that offer in-house painting.
One in particular would have no problem with small quantities and would probably even sample for free if you can show them the interest/pre-orders you have.
Matt

MR 2ster

Surely a zip tie for the pipes will work (Ghetto style) and re: paint just sell them bare and owners can paint up!!!

Just start making them IMO! People are crying out....!!! lol

ChrisGB

Quote from: "sjspitz"I am basically ready to kick off a batch of these - except I have a few remaining issues:

Re the holes, I don't know what profiling method you are using, but laser cutting should add around 10 - 30p per hole. Water Jet cutting, if you are working in ally and your laser cutter does not have capacity to cut it, will work out more, but still only in pence, not pounds. I cannot remember if the rear face needs to be pocketed and that will cost however you profile. Microjet plasma on the other hand reaches its limitations with this sort of detail, which is where a laser works out a lot cheaper because you don't have to second op for the hole profiles. If you have a product that needs bodging up to work, you will sell less of them. People want to use the original pipe clips for peace of mind, cable tie bodge could chafe pipes in the long term.  Profiling is cheapest it has ever been at the moment. Drop me line if you get stuck for a decent profiling supplier.

Powder coaters should be a yellow pages job.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

aaronjb

Quote from: "ChrisGB"I cannot remember if the rear face needs to be pocketed and that will cost however you profile.

If it's as thick as the Corky bracing, it does (the originals being plate steel, of course, have minimal thickness)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"I cannot remember if the rear face needs to be pocketed and that will cost however you profile.

If it's as thick as the Corky bracing, it does (the originals being tin foil, of course, have minimal thickness)

Just corrected that for you  s:D :D s:D  

I am not going out to lay under the car and have a grope around in this weather.

Chris

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  And there was me trying to be all technically accurate for you, Chris  s:P :P s:P
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

campbell

come on son, when will these be ready?   s:D :D s:D
Ex cars
1983 VW Polo 1.0, 2000 Renault Clio 1.2, 1984 VW Mk2 Golf Gti, 1992 Citroen AX Gti, 1989 Mk1 MR2 T-bar, 1992 Mk3 VW Golf Gti, 1998 Mk 4 Ford Fiesta D, 1996 S2 106 XND, 1989 ST185 Toyota Celica GT-Four (Ltd Edn), 1998 Mk3 Golf Gti, 1994 Ford Mondeo Si, 1991 Mk2 Toyota MR2, 1990 205 Gti, 1994 ST205 Toyota Celica GT-Four, 2000 Renault Laguna DCi, 1997 VW Golf Colour Concept, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa Sport, 1998 106 GTi, 1999 Mk4 VW Golf TDI ...

...Current
2003 BMW 530i Champagne II Ltd Edn
2001 Mk3 Toyota MR2
1998 Corsa Redtop (For Crail also for sale!)

gavinl

TTT
03 MR2 Roadster
03 Lexus G3430 Sport
95 Supra Single Turbo

philster_d

TTT?

ekimq

Quote from: "philster_d"TTT?

Things...      Take...      Time... (and as a project manager, that time is always longer than you expect)
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

philster_d

Well I can agree no matter how long you spend on an estimate, it is still just that, an estimate. If things consistently take longer that estimated though maybe the estimation process can benefit from some attention or a better feedback loop.

Maybe you just meant we are all too optimistic when starting something, so im sorry if thats the case.   s:) :) s:)

Phil

Tags: