Another blown engine?

Started by Jap GT300, January 18, 2004, 10:54

Jap GT300

I was driving my 2 yesterday chasing a Boxster passed Brands Hatch, where there is a long open road.  I had been driving hard from the start and hit the rev limit in both 1st and 2nd.  I was approaching 90mph in 3rd when I heard it hit the cut out again.  I looked at the rev gauge and it seemed to bounce of 7000 twice before I hear this ping sound followed by a tapping noise.

I let of the gas and pulled the car over I left it at idle for a minute before  switching the car off and restarted it, everything seemed okay.  I thought it may have been the SMT pump, where i had pushed it to far and there wasn't enough hydraulic pressure.

I make my way back home  and after a mile I notice the tapping noise again.  The noise seemed to be coming only from the drivers side and it  happened only at about 3000revs.  During my journey home it gets gradually worse until it becomes a banging noise throughout the whole rev range.  When I let off the throttle the noise disappeared, so at this point I thought it may be something caught in the drivers side rear wheel.

I couldn't see or feel any thing wrong behind the wheel or anything else.  I started the car and lifted the engine hood.  I could hear it wasn't happy idling.  I pulled the accelerater cable from inside the engine bay and as I did so I could tell the banging was coming from Cylinder 4.

I'm pretty sure something internally has died.  i'm going to go out and check everything over this morning in case it is something else.

What should I be looking for and does any one know of someone else with the same problem?  With any luck this will be covered under my non-dealer warranty.

I'm absolutley gutted but at least i have an S2K courtesey car.
  s:( :( s:(   Adam

mph

I thought something internally had died, then found out that it was only the turbo had broken away from the exhaust manifold. Don't how that helps, perhaps exhaust gasket blown?

I've heard of sparkplugs dying before now, probably worth checking them out for discolouration if nothing else.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"What should I be looking for and does any one know of someone else with the same problem?

Sounds like my issue. Check your oils.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1250 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

did you boost your engine?
any turbo kit on it?

Tem

Quote from: "EYAL-MR2"did you boost your engine?
any turbo kit on it?

He was going to get 180hp without charging, cause the engine is so reliable  s8) 8) s8)

Sorry, I just HAD to say that  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Jap GT300

Yeah thanks Tem!

I have checked the exhaust Gasket and all seems okay, although there does seem to be two tabs at the bottom is this normal?

The noise seems to be coming from the inlet manifold rather than exhaust side.  I haven't been able to check the plugs yet but i will do it tonight.

Thanks Adam

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"The noise seems to be coming from the inlet manifold rather than exhaust side.  I haven't been able to check the plugs yet but i will do it tonight.

When I first took my car in, the noise was barely hearable. If I had the stereo or heater on, I couldn't hear it. The mechanics thought it was just some valve noise on the intake side of cylinder 4.

The noise was loudest at around 3000rpm and only under load. Even after the oil loss they had trouble hearing at idle, they had to take the car for a spin first to believe me.

Sorry, but this sounds exactly like it  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

How's the oil?

aaronjb

That reminds me - the very first thing that Toyota asked me when I mentioned my rattling noise from the engine bay was 'Have you looked at the oil?'..

Anyhow.. hope it's nothing too bad Adam   s:? :? s:?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Jap GT300

I've had no oil loss yet and the noise was noticable as soon as I heard something go.  It does sound as if it is in the early stages of what happened to you.

I haven't checked the Oil!  I suppose that should have been the first thing, it was okay about 1k miles ago though

Should i go through the hassle of warranty replacement or be on the look out for a 2ZZ.  I really have no clue about how to shoe horn the 2ZZ inside.

Tem

Quote from: "Jap GT300"I haven't checked the Oil!  I suppose that should have been the first thing, it was okay about 1k miles ago though

Mine was just fine for the first 28k miles or so, never burned anything, but quoting myself from my case:
Quote from: "Tem"The next thing I notice is loss of oil, which also very suddenly turned black. Lost about 0.5l within 50km and it turned from "newlooking" to black.

0.5l/50km means 16l/1k mile...you don't have that much oil to burn, please check it before you drive it again.

(about 2ZZ, you can find detailed info about the swap from SC)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"(about 2ZZ, you can find detailed info about the swap from SC)

Or see if someone will do it for you, I asked Millway about it as I don't have the time to be swapping engines in my garage right now.

Jap GT300

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"

Or see if someone will do it for you, I asked Millway about it as I don't have the time to be swapping engines in my garage right now.

True, I'll have to do some research.  I don't really want to be putting another 1ZZ in there.

WD, Did millway quote you for installation?  I don't have a clue as to how many hours will be put into this.

FYI  My car has 9k on the clock and one service under the belt which was carried out in Japan.  I had one oil change at 6800miles when it first arrived in the UK.  I will check and change the oil before the car is next driven, however I think it is past the point of no return   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"
Quote from: "WoodenDummy"

True, I'll have to do some research.  I don't really want to be putting another 1ZZ in there.

WD, Did millway quote you for installation?  I don't have a clue as to how many hours will be put into this.

FYI  My car has 9k on the clock and one service under the belt which was carried out in Japan.  I had one oil change at 6800miles when it first arrived in the UK.  I will check and change the oil before the car is next driven, however I think it is past the point of no return   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

They didn't give me a exact figure, but they still think it would be cheaper than a Turbo 1ZZ.  Believe it or not engine swaps really are not THAT hard and the 2ZZ looks like it fits right in with minimal work on the engine mounts.  If you have the room its not impossible that someone who's not done it before could do it.

I guess its a great way to learn  s:) :) s:)

If you are still not sure give Millway a call, they are still looking into it for me as far as I know so i'm sure they can do the same for you  s:) :) s:)

We might even be able to get it cheaper if we get them to do two   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

My only problem is I might need rear seats soon (no, not a baby) so i'm looking at something like a Audi S3.

Anonymous

I've looked at this a little and it looks like it would be really hard to fit in the 2ZZ.  The 2ZZ measures (LxWxH) 652x608x659mm whereas the 1ZZ measures 639x586x632mm.  

Looking at how the engine fits in the car, there is a substantial crossmember directly (certainly well within 27mm) over the top of the 1ZZ cam cover, so it would require a major alteration to make the 2ZZ fit.  I thought that it might even be impossible whilst retaining the operation of the soft top.  

If anyone else knows different, please speak up.

Cheers
Andy

ps engine dimensions are from SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-0671, "Development of the High Speed 2ZZ-GE Engine"

Tem

Quote from: "Andy S"If anyone else knows different, please speak up.

It fits as several people have already proved  s8) 8) s8)

Where did you find the paper? I'm interested...

Jap GT300

In fact some people have managed to get the larger 3S-GTE in there.  I can't remember if they retained the fire wall though.  TP spirit and that bloke with the fake white GT300 in Singapore

GSB

Quote from: "Tem"It fits as several people have already proved  s8) 8) s8)

Where did you find the paper? I'm interested...

It certainly does, although the V6 requires loss of hood and refabrication of the firewall/bulkhead steelwork.

Heres a link to that paper, courtesy of google...

http://www.c7performance.com/data/2zz_ge_article.pdf
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I think the 2ZZ would be a better choice than the V6.  The 2ZZ fits right in and the V6 would add a little to much weight.  I don't fancy the handling with that extra load.

Jap GT300

Is it true the 2zz is actually lighter than the 1zz?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Is it true the 2zz is actually lighter than the 1zz?

na, tiny bit heavier.  15lbs I think.

Anonymous

But is a better engine in every single way.  You probably won't even lose MPG.

Anonymous

Where did the paper come from? Found it on the web I think, sorry I don't have the link and I stupidly seem to have deleted the file.  I'd mail a photocopy to anyone who PM's me a snail mail address.  

The 2ZZ weight is quoted at 115kg Vs the 1ZZ at 102 kg.  

Any links to a successful 2ZZ fitment?

Andy

Tem

Quote from: "Andy S"Any links to a successful 2ZZ fitment?

Can't seem to get on any US servers, so no direct links, sorry.

But go to  m http://www.spyderchat.com/ m
To to the board (=chat rooms), then to the Performance area. Browse manually or use the search.

At least LittleRocket and CIN have done it. Some others are either doing it or possibly done already, haven't had much time to follow that site lately.

mph

If you're going to the trouble and hassle of an engine swap, why bother with the 2ZZ? The Honda VTEC in stock form is 200bhp, revs insanely and has a much nicer torque curve than the Toyota.

Might be worth talking with Rich @ BLiNK...
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: