Known Defects

Started by crankshaft, January 18, 2004, 14:29

crankshaft

OK, so I've been a member of this forum for less than a month and if I did not put my hands over my ears and shout 'waaaaahh" whenever I heard anything bad about the 2, I would either sell it or become very paranoid !

It seems from many of the posts of numerous mechanical defects, that the 2 is just a bag of nails, but fortunately, anything anyone says will not make me regret buying my 2.

I am very sure that all cars suffer from defects and problems, but my experience so far (with Toyota World in Bristol who I bought the 2 from) has been excellent. They are accommodating and really do seem to be hell bent on ensuring that I am treated well. (I wanted to buy the MR2 keyring which was not in stock and they offered to mail it to me, when I asked how much they said "ahh, never mind it's only a couple of quid")

Thinking they were all the same, I did visit Toyota main dealer in Taunton, and my first impression from them, was P*ss off, you did not buy the car from us and we are not interested in you, we are very very busy.

I have read many of the posts and believe that ALL cars suffer with the same defects, the great thing with this community is that we all get to know about them good or bad.

I have read very few, if any posts which say that the dealer refused to rectify a problem that to be honest in my opinion could be very well justified as normal wear and tear.

Saying that, I do feel that it would be great if we had an area of this forum which listed the more common known defects for which Toyota has released a fix, that would certainly add a tremendous value to this wonderful forum that would benefit eachy and evry member.

I took my 2 back after a few days on Christmas eve, it soounded like a diesel when ticking over, they identified it as a known problem with the tensioner and booked me in the day after boxing day.

There must be so many of us who are "re-inventing the wheel" and suffering the same problems, if they were listed in one place then we would all save some time.

Not sure if I have posted this in the right section !

Cheers

peterC
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

Funny you should mention that, as I started writing soemthing on those lines not so long ago... Now I've just got to remember where I saved it and get someone to post it up as a sticky in the maintenance forum.

As you have found though, most problems are pretty rare, and those that do occur are rarely serious, so all in all the '2 is a pretty good car. Thats why it came top of its class in the JD Power survey last year.

Watch this space.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Peter,

I tried to start this a few weeks ago, but no one took up the offer.

QuotePerhaps we should try and prepare a standard list of comman faults that users can access prior to getting their car serviced.

Other issues that come to mind are :-
- Condensation in front and rear lights;
- Hand brake in-effective on a slope;
- Rusty brake discs;
- Bubbling alloy wheels;
- Car Alarm siren is crap;
- Soft-top ears / connection of strap;
- Belt tensioner.

Any others ?????????????

Puggman

Slacey

Lusaka(?) I think has compiled a pretty comprehensive list of the common problems, with links to the solurtions, I believe it will be up on the website when it goes live soon.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

This may/may not(!) help:

http://www.planetkc.com/rande/tsb/tsb.htm

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

crankshaft

Sundance;

That's great, could it be put on a sticky so it's always at the top of the forum ??

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

There is a sticky in draft format for this section which covers troubleshooting issues and another of a more educational element on the old basis of teach a man to fish and he can feed himself for life etc   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The latter will probably go on the future website but the troubleshooting one will go up soon.

Once it is up please let me know if of any additions or constructive feedback to improve it, as it will very much be a continuing work in progress.

Anonymous

At the end of the day, a lightweight car will always be a pain.  From rattles to oil leaks.

The MR2 on a whole is reliable, it starts every time, doesn't leak oil or rain though the hood like the Roadsters of old did.

The problem with it is the 1ZZ engine, its naff.  Its an economy engine and not really built for a sports car.  I wouldn't worry about it exploding on you the odds are it won't but Toyota could have given us better I think.

(Also 1ZZ are SO cheap you can buy one for under £300)

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Also 1ZZ are SO cheap you can buy one for under £300

How much for a 2ZZ?

Anonymous

I've not got round to looking, Millway said they would get me a engine price when they get back to me.  From what I remember on SC they don't cost that much.  I'm sure someone got one for $500 at some point.

Tags: