Best use of £500 on performance mods (Stage 1)

Started by Kool PT, August 9, 2008, 17:23

Kool PT

£65 has just bought me a Che front member brace...comments will follow after installation
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

uktotty

Short shifter is £20 on ebay and mine works a treat!

Kool PT

i know but i prefer my knobs to stick up straight, and che's one curves to the left.

anyone know if the che fstb is an exact replica of the cusco one and as such can be fitted over the plastics and not completely obscure the removal of the spare wheel bin lid?

markiii

Quote from: "Kool PT"i know but i prefer my knobs to stick up straight, and che's one curves to the left.

actually the B&M and cheapy ones are the nly ones that do go straight up

the stock one actually curves to teh right
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Kool PT

weeeelll i want one that stays like the stock. besides, TRD one is readily available, not too expensive and is by all accounts overall a superior product. it just probably won't have a place in this particular plan. brass shift bushings in the meantime, i guess

evileye_wrx

Still got the money left for a Unichip   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  Probably won't see a better whooompf than that

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Kool PT

a unichip & no bracing   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

i think i'd rather have a full set, 350 will almost pay for lowering & full bracing

Kool PT

however may consider it for the future...

reckon i'd get up to 150bhp with the unichip? ppe cai & gutted manifold should be good for 5-6bhp on top of stock power

Liz

I got 153 with the unichip on my old one, along with an A'Pexi and H&S exhaust - its not about the BHP though, don't get fixated on that.
Its about the torque..that's where you feel the difference!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Kool PT

that's very true. I just want to try and aim towards a sub 7 sec 0-60.

contrary to my earlier plan, i think i'd like to get involved in track stuff asap!

markiii

why not come down to anglesey in october

we have a variety of tweekd roadster there you could compare on track
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Kool PT

I'd love to but it's a 905 mile round trip :S

DannyN

Quote from: "Kool PT"I'd love to but it's a 905 mile round trip :S

Fly down ?
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

markiii

or stay over bring teh mrs and make a long weekend of it

Kool PT

Don't have the money or the time off work but thanks for the invite. Will no doubt make it along to a meet some day  s:D :D s:D

Quick update for anyone who cares - markiii pipe and K&N filter are out, PPE kit is in, what a lovely noise but now my exhaust sounds rather piddly when engine breaking   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  che front member brace is on its way.

Seriously considering just going with a full che set of bracing, then upgrading if better stuff is put up for sale in the future (ie Corky's stuff). It might not be the best, but apart from being cheap it's also available, most of the UK shops selling this stuff just get back to me saying that whatever I ask for's out of stock. Remember that i'm trying to establish an all round performance upgrade here, that would give me the biggest bang for my buck. there's nothing to say I won't upgrade from this stuff as time goes on.

Che's got a new rear brace coming out this month or next, so one of them, a breast plate, and front/rear strut braces (I know rear doesn't do a lot, but I've heard that they DO make a difference when the rest of the chassis is braced, and it's only another 60 quid...unless someone has a better idea?) should tie in nicely with my remaining budget.

Kool PT

just closing the deal on iMR2 breastplate, all being well it should arrive next week along with che front member brace

Anonymous

where can i buy Che stuff from such as a manifold?  i've searched, but i cant find.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "roadstermike"where can i buy Che stuff from such as a manifold?  i've searched, but i cant find.

Have a look over on Spyderchat, and Ebay

Phil
Phil

Kool PT

Fitted che front brace, results not as noticable as i was hoping for - steering feels a little lighter and front is less rattly/wobbly. Should be fitting breast plate next weekend so will update next week once the two are combined.

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "roadstermike"where can i buy Che stuff from such as a manifold?  i've searched, but i cant find.

Have a look over on Spyderchat, and Ebay

Phil
yeah thanks i got it.

Kool PT

have now bought a cusco FSTB from a fellow club member.

iMR2 breastplate has arrived so will be fitting it on sunday. think I was a bit hasty with the front member brace comment earlier, i have noticed sharper turn in around corners but have to push it to feel the difference.

uktotty

Seems this bracing lark is becoming critical, does it REALLY make that much diff?

edward.carter

Quote from: "uktotty"Seems this bracing lark is becoming critical, does it REALLY make that much diff?
In a word YES

and having taken the bits off and sold them (as i thought i was getting rid of the car due to first house purchase) difference is massive, so much so that im looking again.

only had a corky's breast plate and trd fsb and the difference is quite something

need to find another corky's somewhere that takes credit cards lol   s:D :D s:D

Kool PT

the reason i set a small cap on my spending and created this thread was to try and define what mods could really transform the car to the greatest extent without spending any crazy money. my list has ended up being almost entirely down to bracing, based on input from everyone else, so I'm bloody hoping it's important!

I don't know how many others are fully braced but with no other performance mods (ok apart from 4-5bhp from the intake & gutted manifold), but I plan to write a full review once i'm finished.

evileye_wrx

I think that it depends on what your planning on doing with the car. If your going to race it, or increase  bhp greatly over n/a levels then a lot of hardcore bracing will probably want to be on your shopping list. If your are an average driver who is just planning on adding a chip and some milder mods for example and go for the occasional weekend blat then I would think that front tower strut brace and breastplate would be enough.

In saying that I do have a post facelift car which is braced better as stock, but am also turbo'ed and have never had and issues with just ftsb and bp. I think lowering springs would be on my list after those 2 rather than anything else.

Phil

Phil

Tags: