Blown engines?

Started by Anonymous, January 18, 2004, 17:03

Anonymous

Forgive my naiivety in this, but am I right in thinking that the engine in the MR2 is the same as that in the 140 celica and in the corolla?

Does anybody know of blown engine issues with either of these cars or is it specific to the '2 and (possibly) the way the manifold and exhaust setup is? Or could it be to do with air induction and/or cooling?

Just pondering the issues and the seemingly high number of blown engines on the '2, but not heard much about the other models (assuming they are indeed the same actual engine).

Cheers

Steve

mph

You're quite correct, the 1ZZ-FE engine is shared amongst many of the Toyota range.

As for the "high number of blown engines on the '2",  I believe, "No-one complains about a happy engine" - or in other words, while it may appear as a high proportion here in the forums, it discounts all the thousands that don't post about there happy engine.

Of those that do have problems, from the information I've received, it's more likely to be the quality of the pre-CATs in the exhaust manifold that are the initial cause of problems.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: