Normal oil usage (precats in tact)

Started by ad_car_08, August 18, 2008, 14:13

ad_car_08

Hi,

I'm going to pick up a mk3 mr2 on a 2000 W reg, later today.
When I initially viewed the car, I was aware of the precat failure, so I checked those which were in tact.
I wanted to check the oil level, but because he'd literally just got home from work, I didn't check the dip stick because I knew it'd give me an inaccurate reading. Instead, I asked about oil consumption and if he'd needed to top it up, to which he replied he'd put a very small amount in not so long ago, but that's normal on a car like this.

Having only driven diesel run arounds, I'm not totally "aux fais" with how a petrol car lives, especially that of a sporty car like the MR2, so i chalked the "top up" down to general house keeping of the car.

I just wanted to double check with you guys as to what exactly is normal oil usage in these cars? Is any form of topping up a sign of piston seal wear or what??
Seeing that the precats are intact, I thought the engine should be ok??

Please stop me if im about to make a fatal mistake in buying this vehicle!!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

markiii

oil useage on modern toyota engine is somewhat higher than people used to older engines might expect.

topping up occasionally is jst part of teh maintnance

however anything more than 1 quart per 1000 miles is excessive
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

Sorry, what's 1 quart?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Sorry, what's 1 quart?

Take it as 1 Litre. Toyota reckon that oil consumption above 1 L / 1000 miles is excessive. All engines use a little oil, some more than others. I would not personally buy a car that used that much oil. A little top up is to be expected.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: