ad_car_08s pre-cat removal questions from his garage!!

Started by ad_car_08, August 22, 2008, 12:38

Peter Wright

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Right, update time!...
I've drilled the head off the left bolt (the worse one) and continue to feed the right bolt with the penetrating fluid, resigned to that fact i'm not gonna get this done today!
Now to add insult to injury, I've taken a look at the nxt two bolts....not good news....
I'm feeling like THE most unlucky person when its coming to these precats!!   s:( :( s:(    that left one is literally rusted round!!
will the irvine kit tackle that then?? sounds like I'm gonna have to buy MORE tools!!  s:( :( s:(

You think you have problems, you havent even started on the manifold bolts yet   s:( :( s:(  
You should have started with plus gas  10 days ago on every bolt
I also ripped my gasket, so I hope you have bought a new one
I hope you read the how to
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43234 m
Best of luck im sure we are all feeling for you
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

MR2 New Boy

Quote from: ad_car_08that makes no sense....irwin only do 10mm, 11mm and 13mm sockets......I NEED A BLUMMIN 12mm!!!!!!

.......i gotta laugh, i'd cry otherwise  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

To be honest I wouldn't bother with them. I went through exactly the same frustrations as you. I bought a set and wasted my money.

It took me 2 days to get the heat shield off and had to cut a piece of the shield of to get at the last bolt.

Be patient it will come. but its not a quick job  s:D :D s:D

ad_car_08

Quote from: "MR2 New Boy"
Quote from: "ad_car_08"that makes no sense....irwin only do 10mm, 11mm and 13mm sockets......I NEED A BLUMMIN 12mm!!!!!!

.......i gotta laugh, i'd cry otherwise  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

To be honest I wouldn't bother with them. I went through exactly the same frustrations as you. I bought a set and wasted my money.

It took me 2 days to get the heat shield off and had to cut a piece of the shield of to get at the last bolt.

Be patient it will come. but its not a quick job  s:D :D s:D

Thanks for the words of encouragement MR2 new boy   s:D :D s:D  
It's beaten me for today, but I'll be back onto it Sunday! Hopefully finish it on Monday.

Peter, yeah I'm using that as my manual. It's such a valuable resource, the indepth description and pictures are perfect for the clueless like me!!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

lemans

Hi All

A good tip for rusty/damaged nuts given to me by a mechanic is to apply a little dab of grinding paste on the offending item.  If the rounding off is not too great the grit in the paste takes up the spaces and gives better grip.  Coarse is probably better than fine!

I have used this with success in the past.

Regards

Daryl
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

ad_car_08

HI all,

Well I've finally got the heat shield off and now tackling the bolts that hold the manifold onto the engine and the 3 amigo's.

This is getting beyond a joke! I've tried 14mm on the amigo, but that was a shade too big, and a 13mm was too small?! same sorry for imperial?!

As for the manifold-engine bolts, a 7/16 was too small, 12mm too small, 13mm too big....

What on earth are the sizes?!
[/size]

Anonymous

The amigo bolts are 14mm, my manifold nuts were 12mm

ad_car_08

i've tried a 14mm ring spanner on the amigo's but they seem slightly sloppy & made me worry about them rounding off
[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah, you are right to be worried about rounding them off. I know this is obvious, but it sounds as if you need a socket which fits better. I'm assuming youv'e wire brushed it to get rid of the loose stuff and soaked it with PlusGas. It's all very 'softly softly' - tighten a bit then loosen a bit and better when hot etc, etc,.
So easy to say from a distance I know. (Bear in mind that a garage would just round the bolts, try an extractor, if necessary drill them out re-tap and, also if necessary, fit a new part - nought wrong with this but it can start to get expensive). Got a garage to fit a new uprated front roll bar to a Saab 9-5 last year and one of the bolts sheared so best to stick on in there!

ad_car_08

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'm very pleased to say the manifold is now off, and precats are now gutted!!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    Without the help of a breaker bar & a can of WD40 to loosen those 3amigos, I'd still be there now!!

So armed with a hammer and flat head screwdriver, I've smashed and pulled out the precats and wadding. Then to make sure, I've steam cleaned the manifold to get rid of any residual precat dust. That'll do the trick won't it????
[/size]

markiii

yep it should do

when reassembling put a little anti seize on teh 3 amigos, just in case you ever end up in there again
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

A happy ending. Well done matey.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ad_car_08

Quote from: "spit"A happy ending. Well done matey.

I haven't put it back yet!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

but yeah a happy ending indeed, thanks to all those who offered help and encouragement!

Now thinking what the next project could be. Could do an oil change, but are there any other common faults that need sorting before i can breathe easy and enjoy my roadster???
[/size]

ad_car_08

(Apologies, just found this topic  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2248 l  which didn't appear when I ran a search!)
[/size]

StuM

Congrats on getting it off and gutted.  Perseverance paid off   s:D :D s:D  

Cheers
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

ad_car_08

Thanks Stu   s:D :D s:D  

Perseverance paid off indeed....plus the use of an extra pair of hands & brain!

Still looking for the next project to undertake...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[/size]

StuM

Quote from: "ad_car_08"plus the use of an extra pair of hands & brain!

Yes, I had these too - plus borrowed a well stocked garage!   s:) :) s:)
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

sounds like deja-vue,my three amigos snapped off,had to drill and retap.had to dremel all five manifold nuts,took 8hrs to remove and prepare for refit.got worried when i saw smoke from my engine when i restarted it but it was just plusgas burning off!!

Anonymous

I really got used to this with old cars (late 50's - early 70's). You'd think it would be different with cars of our age.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ad_car_08"As for the manifold-engine bolts, a 7/16 was too small, 12mm too small, 13mm too big....

What on earth are the sizes?!

easy, rusted to hell sizes, you've lost material due to exfoliation of the outer layers, hence why the sockets dont fit, not that i condone it but hammering on a smaller size socket will help as someone has already said, just make sure its a hex(6 point) and not a bi hex socket (12 point). The irwin screw/stud extractors are good but if the dont work will give you fewer options later as they completely knacker the heads up

your best bet on fixing bolts like the heatshield ones is to just snap the head off, gring it down, drill it undersize then use a 1st and 2nd Tap. Using these crappy single size taps makes your life very hard as they arn't always designed to give you the ability to start the thread properly, a descent tap set will have a starter tap(1st) and then a second to finish off the threaded hole.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

any suggestions for one of these "Good" tap sets stu

mine is pretty crap
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kentsmudger

Quote from: "markiii"when reassembling put a little anti seize on the 3 amigos, just in case you ever end up in there again

OMG! They won't grow back, will they?    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

markiii

:-) :-) :-)  modding this car is addictive, you'll be in there again in time

loadswine

And after you've done it on this 2, you'll be doing it on the next one!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: