Leaking Driver's Door

Started by crankshaft, January 19, 2004, 15:25

crankshaft

My 2 leaked on the driver's side from the bottom part of the front pillar.

I later discovered that the little metal tab which protrudes out about 6mm and about 100 mm down on both sides of the windscreen pillar was bent in on the drivers side, compressing the drivers door window rubber.

This let the water run in.

I have always wondered what exactly that little tab is for, someone once told me it was someting to do with eliminating wind noise, but bearing in mind that it only proturudes by about 6mm and is so insignificant, I find thisn hard to believe.

Does anyone know what function this little 'tab' performs ??

Cheers

CrankShaft   ==_=_=_=_==
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

If its the saem thing I think you're on about, its there to guide the glass into the correct position when you close the window at speed. At high speeds or with the heater fan switched on, the pressure difference from inside to outside can force the glass outwards.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Aha! So that's what it does!

Mine went rusty and broke off a year ago when I tried to bend it back into position! No ill effects yet though... so I don't think its too critical.

I might still ask the dealer for a new one though, worth a try!

Tim.

crankshaft

That sounds much more logical, mine was bent in so hard   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   by the closed door / window that it was almost not visible.

I thought originally that the roof was leaking cos the carpet was damp in the drivers footwell after a torrential downpour.

CrankShaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Tags: