Tein coilover advice

Started by Andy_Foz, August 31, 2008, 22:01

Andy_Foz

Hello peeps

After finding out my car had Tein coilovers, I bought myself a set of C Spanners with the intention of winding the rear down a little bit.

One side was no problem at all, the other side however was a different story.... the lower of the two platforms/washers moved no problems at all.... the higher platform just would budge at all though regardless of various improvised leverage devices.

So after giving up, I put the easy side back to the original height and began tightening up the bottom platform.... then the washer/platform gave way and broke in half   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Im not too concerned as the original platform isnt going to budge (for reasons beyond me), but even if I took the shock out, would I be able to replace this one particular part? Would Tein sell them on their own? Grateful for any advice.

Andy

markiii

I would imagine they can be refurbished
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

They can be a bit fragile, its really a good idea to clean up the threads every now and then and coat them in a light grease, just to stop this happening.
I remember mine when I first got it and the rings were really hard to shift, so gave them a thorough clean and greased them and not been a problem since.
Not sure if a refurb will be economical or not, may be best to replace them if the cost of refurb is massive.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

I would just get in touch with Tein and see if they'd sell a set of rings and clean the shocks up myself.

They sell the top end pillow ball mounts on their own, so seems feasible they'd sell other bits.
TDI-PLC are a dealer so might be able to advise
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

A bit late for your issue, but KW suggest cleaning the threaded area and lubricating it before adjusting the ride height. I would imagine this would apply to all brands.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Andy_Foz

Thanks, guys. Yes, no doubt cleaning would have been a good idea!

If I had bought the coilovers then fitted them, I would have course looked after my investment, but they were on the car when I bought it and as soon as I discovered them, I did clean them up as best as I could. Clearly, this was too late!

Andy

Andy_Foz

P.S. Ive emailed Tein UK, hope to get a reply later on. Will let you know how I get on!

Andy

Tags: