Goodyear Eagle Ventura

Started by paul russell, January 20, 2004, 10:55

paul russell

Has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle Ventura's? I was going to go with the F1's but apparently the 185/55x15 is being discontinued.
Thanks, Paul.

SteveJ

Quote from: "paul russell"Has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle Ventura's? I was going to go with the F1's but apparently the 185/55x15 is being discontinued.
Thanks, Paul.

That would be markiii's cue to comment - he has these at the moment and let's just say they are *INTERESTING*  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Why not try Toyo Proxes - might work out cheaper and have a good reputation.

markiii

DO NOT, I say again DO NOT buy venturas for the roadster.

They are very grippy, and very progressive, and brilliant in the wet.

They do however have teh softest sidewall known to man.

End result is that unless you run them way over pressure (which has some nasty side effects of its own) the tyre will start to roll on th wheel.

This feels like the car is going to flip.

I would term them as dangerous. The only reason I'm still running them is I can't afford to change them yet.

I'm sort of used to it now. But there are far far better tyres you can buy for this application.

Ref the F1's they are a little narrower than it would suggest on paper, go with 195/50 on the front and you'll be fine.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

paul russell

Thanks for the advice. My local tyre fitter can't get hold of any Eagle F1's until next week and I really need them asap. Looks like I might have to go with the Bridgestone RE040's again. To be honest, I haven't found them that bad. It's only since they have been getting a bit worn that the handling has deteriorated, but I guess that would be the same for any tyre. What are the Toyo's like? Would they last as long as the Bridgestones?

Anonymous

Ive started using them and im still experimenting with pressures etc, but i think Liz has had a set of toyos on her car for AGES!

if your desperate for tyres, i think you could do a lot worse than trying the toyos.

markiii

The toyos' are supposed to be very nice, though I've never had them. I would suggest though if your looking at the Bridgestones get the S03, it's a really good road tyre, and teh RE040 is pants.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

I love my Toyos, had them on since July 02, still got loads of tread - but I don't do track days and I have only given them one blat at North Weald, got a new near side rear after the accident though, but asked my tyre supplier and they said that the others were ok and not to worry about changing them.  As a point, Simon had a set of god knows what on his Eunos and had a few hairy experiences in the wet with them, I bought him a new set of 15" alloys which came with a set of Toyos for £350, look nice and he says that he feels alot safer in the wet now, no back slip around corners.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quoteno back slip around corners

thats half the fun
  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Can someone tell me how the yokohamas compare with the other tyres available for the mr2?
  I can't compare, but I like them in the wet, and they are allright in normal/fast driving, but when pushing hard (in the dry)  the front tyres bend, like Markiii said about the Venturas, with a sound like breeeeeeeee. It's not dangerous but takes all the fun, and you can not reach the limits of the car.
   This thing happens with the other tyres, at 26psi?

Tem

Quote from: "pp"Can someone tell me how the yokohamas compare with the other tyres available for the mr2?

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2084 m
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=834 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "pp"Can someone tell me how the yokohamas compare with the other tyres available for the mr2?

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2084 m
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=834 m

Thanks...lots of information,  s:D :D s:D   but very little on tyrewalls (I hate soft tyrewalls).
   Willow  said that the Yokohamas are inapropriate for any spirited driving, and I agree. He bought F1s and said they are good but could have stiffer tyrewalls and Juansolo said Yokohamas Advan are very good with almost no roll.
    Can I conclude from this that tyrewalls from Advan are  stronger than the ones in F1s?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

probably.

Best bet for really stiff sidewalls is Bridgestone S03

juansolo

Stiffer than the Bridgestone RE040's to the point you need to run them with much lower pressures.  Ride suffers because of it though.

I'm not sure I'd run them unless you were planning on using it on circuit though.  They're a great allrounder but the Bridgestones are probably better road tyres.

Edited: I meant RE040 not RE030 doh!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

darrenjuggins

Hi late picking this thread up,

but I concour with Kris on the Good Years, you Roll all ove, its dangerous coming off a roundabout fast.

When I got my Roadster in 2000, I got a puncture and the RE040's where difficult to get hold of I opted for Good Year ventura, after a week I spoke to goodyear direct who categorically told me that they SHOULD NOT BE USED on a Roadster and with that agreed to buy them back, had to wait about 2,000 miles for the RE040's to come in so I crawled around on the venturas......

you have been warned.....

Answer this though, why if they are so bad on Mid Engined, Rear Wheel Drive cars, do MGF's have them as standard ??????????????? maybe MGF's drivers would be well informed to change to harder wall tyres.

If you go for the RE040's look to pay about £130 per pair fitted and balanced.

Cheers

MR J
Darren A. Juggins

markiii

not so, the MGF uses F1's as standard equipment.

a whole different fettle of fish.

darrenjuggins

ah.....

That new model or old ?

I'm sure when we went to Thruxton a coupe of years back they had venturas on, well certainly felt like it on track LMAO!!!!!!
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"Stiffer than the Bridgestone RE030's to the point you need to run them with much lower pressures.  Ride suffers because of it though.

I'm not sure I'd run them unless you were planning on using it on circuit though.  They're a great allrounder but the Bridgestones are probably better road tyres.

Thanks Guys.

Markiii talks about s 03, you talk about reo 30.
   A little confused, the Bridgestones S 03 are the same as reo 30?

If not what is the best for a spireted drive.

markiii

nope S03 or RE040, I'm assuming the RE030 was a typo.

paul russell

I decided to play safe and had another pair of RE040 rears fitted (the fronts still have a fair bit of tread left). The handling is transformed compared with when I had the worn ones on there. Which goes to show that you really have to compare like with like, ie not compare worn out RE040's with new F1's or whatever. I think after getting used to driving on worn tyres you tend to forget what they were like when they were new.

darrenjuggins

good price ??
Darren A. Juggins

paul russell

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"good price ??

£136.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "paul russell"
Quote from: "darrenjuggins"good price ??

£136.

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I can get RE040's for £70 and S-03's for £95

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I can get RE040's for £70 and S-03's for £95
That's quite cheap Peter!  Where's that from then?

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Sundance"
Quote from: "Peter Laborne"s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I can get RE040's for £70 and S-03's for £95
That's quite cheap Peter!  Where's that from then?

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

RE040's from Jemca Metro. They have said that they will do them for £75ea (all inc) for MR2 ROC members

S-03's from Cambridge Performance Tyres or Jemca Metro (same price each (all inc) for MR2 ROC members)

Tags: