Rear window shattered!

Started by Kool PT, September 2, 2008, 10:27

Kool PT

guy is giving up with the job, it just won't stick. 90 quid down but for the hours he's already put it but it was worth a shot at least!

now i've phoned the claims company that my insurers use and they're saying that if the local body shop can't fix it it might not be covered   s:? :? s:?
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

Anonymous

It might be time to start looking for a second hand one somewhere. looks like you are going to get the run around from your insurer.   s:x :x s:x  

Bob

Anonymous

Kool, the free car ad mag from garages, name escapes me at the moment, has a full page ad for a soft top hood and trim refurbishers, trim something i think it is called. Based in Scotland so they may be worth a call?

wbarrwebster

Kool,

Was really rooting for you pal, I think we all saw ourselves in your position, God forbid!!

Have you looked at EBay, I remember there was one or two on there, although some clown was after £1450!

Good luck,

Barry W
W. B. Webster

Kool PT

Nelix I will keep my eye out for that.

Buying a 2nd hand OEM roof just seems too expensive.
 m http://www.soft-top.co.uk m  do cheap aftermarket ones with heated rear windscreens. 395 plus vat for canvas, slightly more for mohair. it might be worth me being a guinea pig for this product, but probably not just yet.

think i'm gonna try to get my hands on a hardtop then figure out the best way to deal with the roof problem. if my insurers write the car off will i be able to keep it?

Kool PT

just for future reference - assuming that the window is impossible to bond back in, my dad and I did a pretty convincing fix yesterday. The perspex that was sitting in the back to prevent against the worst of the wind & rain has now been attached and is virtually waterproof.

we drilled small holes through the vinyl & perspex then pushed small rivets through both round the entire perimiter of the window space, took about 20 minutes, looks quite neat and will keep me warm and dry. if anyone else goes through this potential nightmare my advice would be to do this soon and then figure out what's cheaper - insurance claim or new soft top. I'll be trying out soft-top.co.uk in a few months' time, in the meantime i'm now no longer desperate for a hard top

uktotty

2 weeks ago there was one for £195, currently one at £395  think

Kool PT

what a hard top? on ebay i take it. I'll keep my eyes peeled but basically this means i can be a bit more picky and ignore non black ones unless they are so cheap that respraying etc would still save money.

uktotty

Quote from: "Kool PT"what a hard top? on ebay i take it. I'll keep my eyes peeled but basically this means i can be a bit more picky and ignore non black ones unless they are so cheap that respraying etc would still save money.
Sorry not a hard top a complete genuine MR2 softop.

Kool PT

soft-top.co.uk sending me fabric samples - looked up the name on google to see if anyone had reviews of their product and found a honda Beat forum saying that they supplied a Robbins top for them <- these are highly regarded on spyderchat so if it's the same for their mr2s then it's a great price, and as far as i was aware they were only available within europe previously.

Kool PT

OK soft top have sent me samples and also confirmed that they use the Robbins soft top. These are supposed to kick ass. the material is thinner than the canvas stuff that the stock soft top is made from, though. Good news for anyone who thought, like I did, that they would have to drive to the netherlands to get one fitted!

Thudd

We got a new softtop for our Golf fitted by a local car upholsterer (Sheffield) - It's a Mexican one and was £500 fitted.
From talking to the guy, it's a bit of a minefield. The quality of ours was really good, especially at only £200 for the hood (Mohair) when the dealers wanted £££s.

What i'm trying to say is that if that's the Robbins hood, and it's fitted at that price, bite their hand off.

Mohair is lovely btw. Much nicer than the hood on my '2.

Tags: