Whistling driver's door after repair!?!?!

Started by Anonymous, September 8, 2008, 12:59

Anonymous

Hi,

It's been AAAGGGESS since I last visited this forum, nice to see some of the guys still here from back when I first got my 2. I've not had a chance to do anything to my baby in the past few years, but one thing that did happen was I got reversed into in a car park.

Long story short, the driver's door was dished in, other party's insurance stumped up eventually and I ended up getting it repaired at my local "insurance approved" repairer (big mistake.... idiots put 80 miles on the clock which they couldn't account for... plenty of arguments over that one!). They replaced the door, and resprayed the side of the vehicle... cosmetically the car looks perfect inside and out, there's just one problem.

At over 80mph I start to hear a whistling coming from the top of the window. I've tried pulling and pushing the door but this does not change it, I can make the noise louder by playing with the rubber seals between the window and roof so I'm guessing it's somethign to do with them. It's only at higher speeds when I notice this, but it's REALLY annoying...

I REALLY don't want to return my vehicle to these muppets, and so I'm wondering if this could be just something simple to fix? How much adjustment is there in hanging the door? Or could the window be slightly wrong, or the seals somehow wrong, they aren't damaged visibly in any way, (they reused the glass from the previous door)...

Any help to get rid of my whistling woul dbe most appreciated!

Rich

Liz

I know you don't WANT to let them have it back but I don't see that you really have any choice, they done the work incorrectly - its up to them to remedy it without cost to you, or extra mileage!  Have you told your insurance company about it?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

There must be a bit of movement in the door brackets, but what worries me more is that it might be at the edge of the adjustment and it's teh actual chassis that's slightly buckled, and that's why it's not sealing properly   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

But yeah, Liz is right: If you want any comeback at all on this, you legally have to give them the chance to make it right.

roger

Might be useful to look at this. http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1920&hilit=whistling Other link not available I'm afraid.

Presumably you've checked it in detail against the passenger door - badly fitting rubbers, roof splits, plastic thingy that nobody knows what it does etc etc.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

If the original damage was only to the door then it's probably just a question of correct adjustment (I had a similar problem with a Clio).
If the damage was more extensive then you may have to look deeper.
Whatever you do (as others have said) is don't let the repairer off of the hook.

Tags: