6 speed gearbox

Started by ad_car_08, September 14, 2008, 18:28

ad_car_08

Hi,

I couldn't find anything regarding my query using the search, so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Is it possible to buy a 6speed gearbox & bolt it straight onto the engine in place of an original 5speed??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Anonymous

Easy answer is yes. I think you'll need a facelift shifter to go with it though, but stand to be corrected.

Anonymous

Hi,
Is the six speed box got the same ratio of the 5 speed box at the 5th/6th gears or is there better fuel efficiency with the 6 speed on the motorway. Is it a stronger gearbox if you were going to fit a turbo or is it just Mr T joining the 6th gear market. Have a six speed box on my x-trail 5th is a waist of time 4th to 6th is the usual for me. I would change my 2`s for a good reason.

Cheers
Bob

loadswine

1st to fifth are the same ratios, with 6th as a longer cruising gear. The 6 speed is no stronger than the 5, weighs a tad more and is about 25mm or so longer, but apart from that not much in it.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

I have a standard 6 speed shifting cage if you need it (for a small consideration   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Is this reverse vulturing?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

spit

*vultured*

He swoops, he scores   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Don't think it's quite that simple with an SMT. (Quite expensive I guess?? ecu as well; how do you get '6' to come up on the spedo etc, etc).

SteveJ

Quote from: "sandstrain"Don't think it's quite that simple with an SMT. (Quite expensive I guess?? ecu as well; how do you get '6' to come up on the spedo etc, etc).

The '6' would be the easy bit, the difficult stuff would be the replacement ABS pump to do the traction / stability control, the TC/SC ECU and sensors and the new wiring loom(s)

Anonymous

Probably take that as a no on the SMT then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

the reverse on the SMT was done in the US

oh and you dont need a shifter cage to go from a 5 to a 6 speed, sorry Ste but they fit fine, we did it on Marks with no issues at all
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

I think the shifter cage issue is only with some short shifters.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

I have the 5spd cage and B&M/Che/knockoff shifter working fine (notchy as hell, but fine as long as you don't want to change gear in a hurry!)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ad_car_08

So, cutting straight to the point...you say it is possible to buy a 6speed MK3 MR2 gearbox off the shelf (or scrappy..wherever), and bolt it straight on, no problems?

The only extras you'd need are a replacement gear knob to remind you, you have 6 gears?!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
[/size]

markiii

correct done it many times
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

Quote from: "markiii"correct done it many times

Excellent!

I'm still fairly new to this forum, and have been reading a few topics which have given me the impression you really know your stuff markiii.
In your honest opinion, are there actually any gains to be had from fitting a 6 speed box to an engine which was running a 5 speed?

I'm not terribly technically minded, but if I had to comment, I'd say that the extra gear would drop engine revs when cruising at 60/70mph, making the car slightly more fuel efficient if you travel on motorways/dual carriageways the majority of your journey?
Or if your giving it beans, an extra gear would get the car to top speed faster, rather than waiting for the revs to climb & peak in 5th??

Is there more to it than that or have I got something right for a change?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[/size]

markiii

think of teh 6 speed as a 5 speed with a cruising gear added at the top

other than motorways your unlikely to see any improvement (your acceleration will actually be worse due to teh extra weight, though I doubt thats noticeable)

the only improvement will be lower rpm at cruise and hence slightly better fuel economy.

top speed is actually better in 5th.

however 6th is really not a gear in which to expect much oomph, unless you have a turbo, so even at motorway speeds expect to downchange to overtake.

if it were me, I'd go 6 speed if my box died, but other than that not really worth teh effort or cost.

however if you do go with it, I suggest you do teh clutch and flywheel whilst your in there, as your already paying teh labour.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

In that case, I could probably spend the money I'd invest in a 6'box, more wisely. On what, I'm not sure as I'm running a totally stock setup so far!

s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  Thank you for your advice!    s:D :D s:D
[/size]

Tags: