Standard Car Performance

Started by Anonymous, June 18, 2003, 16:17

Anonymous

I've seen this discussed all over the place, but haven't seen any definative figures.  Toyota quote 8.0seconds 0-60.  Some mags, say 7.5.  Some websites say less than 7seconds.  Likewise top speed.  

Does anyone have any authorative idea what the car is really capable of (in standard, unmodded, untweaked configuration)?

And yes, I know, the real beauty of this car is in the cornering, but that's hard to explain to colleagues when it comes to a "mines faster than yours" match.

If this has been covered before and you're all sick of hearing it, please ignore me, I won't be offended.

Anonymous

IMHO 8 seconds is a bit on the conservative side... i personally would say its more around the 7 seconds mark. Ive seen on spyderchat some chap had a recorded 0-60 in just under 6 seconds (but i think he had a slightly modded system and took out things like the spare wheel etc to make it lighter).

Surely if colleagues are giving you stick, take them out for a blast and see what they think then!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I'm still trying to get used to the car.  I scare myself sometimes, it's that quick.

Anonymous

Like i have to tell all new '2 owners, be careful in the wet or you will end up with a car like mine!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

BUT HAVE FUN - THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Consider me warned.

Chris

hopefully we may have some idea after the dyno day...

or can you not do timed 0-60's there?  never been before you see...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

mph

No one really knows why Toyota's 0-60 figures are so conservative, but with an unmodified manual, you should reasonably get mid to low-ish sevens. With minor tweaking and with a good driver whom knows how to blend the clutch in, a very high six may beckon on an exceptional day.

At the end of the day, straight line speed isn't this car's forté, even with my configuration, I'm not expecting outstanding 0-60 times (of course I can blame the SMT if need be) - the agility through corners due to the lightness and balance is where it's really at.

Although probably not so 'sexy', you can always play the 60-0 game - there's very few cars that can beat our '2 there!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"No one really knows why Toyota's 0-60 figures are so conservative

I have a good guess. That affects insurances and higher times keep the insurances reasonable.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

After reading this last night i did some timed runs.

Run #1 6.9
Run #2 7.0
Run #3 7.0
Run #3 7.3
Run #4 7.0

There was only me in the car and the runs were performed on the same stretch of road, i'll admit that i hit the rev limiter on the third run hence the crappy time relative to the others.

The car is standard apart from the TTE Exhaust. I left spare wheel etc in the car.

PS I also changed my tyre pressures which were 38 at the rear and 32 at the front before running these.

They are now 26 front and 32 rear.

Cool huh!!

mph

Quote from: "bigun007"After reading this last night i did some timed runs.
What did you time with?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Bear in mind (unless you use GPS or other type of speedo) that your car speedo will tell you you're doing 60 mph when in fact you're actually doing a bit less.

--H--

Anonymous

Bigun007, thanks for those timings, definately give a better idea than Toyota's (though in a way, you've got to thank them for saving us a few quid on insurance).

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"
Quote from: "bigun007"After reading this last night i did some timed runs.
What did you time with?

Just a normal stopwatch mate.

Its true ab the speedo - normally at that speed no more that 2% out ~ Speaking.

Anonymous

So you managed to accurately measure a full bore 0-60 with a stop watch, yourself, whilst driving?

s:? :? s:?  

OK

--H--

Anonymous

sounds tricky dicky ma son   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

juansolo

I'll see if I can borrow an AP22 this weekend and give it a go.  If not alternate timeage may be possible...
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

All you have to do is press a flaming button lol.

Hence the three run's to try to rule out this kinda problem.

Its not the old style ones where you need a lot o force its just a tap of a buttton, easy really.

I never said it was 100% accurate BTW.

juansolo

Right, I've borrowed a AP22 acceleration meter.  Over the next couple of weeks I'll try and strap it to a few cars and bikes for a bit of a comparison for some fun.  Need to put the Westfield back together now...
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "bigun007"Its true ab the speedo - normally at that speed no more that 2% out ~ Speaking.

Mine's almost 10% out (measured against GPS), across the range   s:o :o s:o  

Which is fine, but means I tend to creep to an indicated speed much higher than I should be doing, since my brain thinks "it's OK, you're not really going that fast... honest..."   s:P :P s:P

Tags: