What would a bike exhaust sound like on a MR2?

Started by Andy_Foz, September 15, 2008, 18:56

Andy_Foz

Ive recently 'acquired' a carbon exhaust for a Triumph Daytona. Was just going to pop it on flEaBay, but the thought did occur to me to get it to fit my MR2.... any ideas what it would sound like?? Would I lose power? Could look pretty cool if it was protruding at a nice naughty angle, but really not sure.

Andy

Anonymous

What would it sound like?

PROBABLY VERY LOUD

One way to find out, give it a go!  s:D :D s:D

enid_b

poo would be a word that springs to my mind

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Andy_Foz"Ive recently 'acquired' a carbon exhaust for a Triumph Daytona. Was just going to pop it on flEaBay, but the thought did occur to me to get it to fit my MR2.... any ideas what it would sound like?? Would I lose power? Could look pretty cool if it was protruding at a nice naughty angle, but really not sure.

Andy

Depends largely on the bore diameter. A minimum of 1.75" is required for the engine output of a stock-ish MR2, with 2" being a better match to the manifold and cat. It will be loud as it has little absorption volume to play with for relatively big cylinder exhaust pulses. If you want carbon cans, look at PJ Engineering's range of carbon silencer kits up to 2" diameter. I was going to cobble a system together out of these until I found the Blueflame single exit at a decent price. Having said that, given the noise from the combination of PPE manifold and Blueflame exhaust, I may end up building a 2 can system with PJ Engineering supplied parts after all.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Andy_Foz"Ive recently 'acquired' a carbon exhaust for a Triumph Daytona. Was just going to pop it on flEaBay, but the thought did occur to me to get it to fit my MR2.... any ideas what it would sound like?? Would I lose power? Could look pretty cool if it was protruding at a nice naughty angle, but really not sure.

Andy

Depends largely on the bore diameter. A minimum of 1.75" is required for the engine output of a stock-ish MR2, with 2" being a better match to the manifold and cat. It will be loud as it has little absorption volume to play with for relatively big cylinder exhaust pulses. If you want carbon cans, look at PJ Engineering's range of carbon silencer kits up to 2" diameter. I was going to cobble a system together out of these until I found the Blueflame single exit at a decent price. Having said that, given the noise from the combination of PPE manifold and Blueflame exhaust, I may end up building a 2 can system with PJ Engineering supplied parts after all.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Thats really useful. Would love to hear a car with a bike exhaust first. Dont want it to be embarassingly loud but would love to have a little more volume than standard. Tried Youtube'ing it but couldnt find much apart from a shitty X/19!

Andy

Slacey

TVR Tuscans use bike exhausts and they sound good!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

My mates Nova has a bike can, and its awesome innit man. (No actually being serious it sounds quite well).
Also he has got a yoshimura can on his mini clubman and it sounds extremely well.

Would love to hear it on a 2, but i'm just not brave enough to start cutting at pipework on it yet.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"TVR Tuscans use bike exhausts and they sound good!

They also have a proper engine to make the nice sounds  s;) ;) s;)

Sorry.. I mean.. they don't have a shitty 4 cylinder econobox engine..

I mean uh.

Yeah.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: