Stage 4 Turbo Setup

Started by muffdan, October 1, 2008, 00:58

muffdan

The Storm G4 has launch control, but this isn't achieved through true traction control. I'd assumed (perhaps wrongly?) that the Extreme was the same. I'll talk to Thor about it and see what they say! It could be a good call if it's proper traction control. Not sure I need any of the other features it offers but as you say, it's cheaper than the Storm + Race Logic route. However, I bet the Race Logic is better. As you sau, you can change the slip for the road/conditions with a dash mounted dial. Very cool!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

custardavenger

I haven't had a chance to look into the G4 properly yet. If the Storm has it then thats probably the same system as in the Xtreme. How do you mean "isn't achieved through true traction control"?

The thing with the Race logic is I was never sure if it's just a very exspensive knob? When you've had your fun playing with the settings are you ever going to need to adjust it other than turning it on and off? I have to say that traction control isn't something I've looked into or something I think I will need to invest in.

Whats the going rate for the Race logic?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Just read through this entire thread for the first time, great read, looking forward to the next bit of progress  s:D :D s:D

Adam

muffdan

the launch control system holds the revs for you at a set RPM and you simply floor it. The rpm is tuned to get the best start.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

custardavenger

Oh right I see. Launch/traction control. Good wording there. I supose you could probably input a wheel signal but think they have missed a trick there. Race Logic it is then.
Project Custard Clicky

Christopherathens

Amazing list muffdan!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
 Really looking forward to see the outcome..I can relate how excited you are!!   s:) :) s:)  

About the Racelogic traction control,i am waiting to read your review,since it is something that i am thinking to get also.
2zz-gZe powered by J.P.Motis / WEB3.0
325.7 hp

www.mr2rotrex.blogspot.com

MR2 Club Of Greece

muffdan

Here's the melted piston   s:( :( s:(  

Jason

loadswine

Blimey what a mess! No wonder it lunched the engine.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

presume teh tune was at issue? no way teh power levels should have done that
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

yeah, I think the tune was most likely the issue.
Jason

Wabbitkilla

s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
Lots of unhealthy words come to mind seeing that piston ... "Jeez" being the kindest!

Not as bad as a conversation i heard yesterday someone on the phone talking to a mechanic...

Mechanic : "So it's turning over and not firing up, just turn it over and let me listen over the phone"
pause .....
Mechanic : "That's turning over very rapidly for a Focus diesel, so what were you doing before it stopped running?"
pause....
Mechanic : "So you cleaned out all the intake piping with brake cleaner, and have put it all back together, did you had the intercooler off to make sure it was empty of brake cleaner?"
pause ....
Mechanic : "and when you started it up it reved like mad, wouldn't turn off till it stopped all by itsef?"
pause ....
Mechanic : "Well i think it's going to need to come in for a look, but the bill might be a bit large"

Hmmm ..... strike one Focus diesel then!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

custardavenger

And I thought I did a good job of a piston. Clearly I'm an amature.   s:) :) s:)   Was it just the one? And out of interest which one?
Project Custard Clicky

uktotty

Holy pants, that piston is fubar.
So will this delay getting the car back?

muffdan

Quote from: "custardavenger"And I thought I did a good job of a piston. Clearly I'm an amature.  s:) :) s:)  Was it just the one? And out of interest which one?

Piston 3, the others had minor damage in comparison

Quote from: "uktotty"Holy pants, that piston is fubar.
So will this delay getting the car back?

Not at all, this was the damage done back in November!
Jason

ChrisGB

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "custardavenger"And I thought I did a good job of a piston. Clearly I'm an amature.  s:) :) s:)  Was it just the one? And out of interest which one?

Piston 3, the others had minor damage in comparison

Too lean?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

aaronjb

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Too lean?

Looks that way to me - detonation took out the side of the piston, and the resulting shrapnel did the rest of the damage - if I had to guess..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

Holy c**p Jason, just seen this, that really is toasted, is this the MWR engine?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

muffdan

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Holy c**p Jason, just seen this, that really is toasted, is this the MWR engine?

No, it was a wiseco piston from my rebuild last September. Hopefully I'll avoid a repeat of this with the MWR built engine and Thor mapping; that mess cost me big bucks   s:( :( s:(  .
Jason

muffdan

Update:

Engine build complete and being shipped on Monday. Car booked in with Thor for running in and fitting/mapping the G4 on the 20th April. Leave for Corfu on the 26th April hopefully!

Jason
Jason

Anonymous

We're going on the 27th Jason so are you worried that I might be a bit faster than you?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

muffdan

lol, we're driving down to Tony's on the 26th  s:) :) s:)
Jason

loadswine

Blimey what a shakedown run! With a G4 and a Thor map, hopefully it should be all good.  s8) 8) s8)

Star_69

-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

muffdan

Engine arrived and has been fitted with no major problems! The head required a hole to be tapped for a coolant pipe, I'm guessing the head didn't come from an MR2 1ZZ. All good though, turbo's being fitted next week and then off to Thor a week on Monday for the G4 fitting and map  s:) :) s:)
Jason

loadswine

Great stuff mate, glad you've not got an empty bay any more. Really interested to see what Thor's expertise does for the project, should be totally ace!  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: