Stage 4 Turbo Setup

Started by muffdan, October 1, 2008, 00:58

markiii

I'd be slightly concerned where teh chipped missing bits went?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

Quote from: "markiii"I'd be slightly concerned where the chipped missing bits went?

Hopefully into my old engine   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

muffdan

Update:

The turbo's back on and the smoke gone, but not much more power yet.

The problem now seems to be my cheapo AEM Truboost boost controller. I'll be replacing it with a Profec E-01 next week and then, hopefully I'll see some bigger bhp numbers.

Encouragingly during the latest mapping session my turbo produced 17 PSI at 6800 on the dyno, so it sounds to me like the turbo is big enough to push the air needed to produce the 300+ bhp I'm looking for (unless I'm not understaning something?). To get this high end boost level though it was producing big PSI @ 3800 which didn't make for a good torque curve or look good for my engine in the long term. With the variable boost control available through the E-01 we should be able to create a flatter torque curve to give the high end boost without the mid range peak.

Anyone got an E-01 for sale?!

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

northernalex

Well that sounds like some really good news! Great to hear that youre one step closer to the big numbers!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

uktotty

Jason, dont forget the 80+ BHP increase from the Kirks install tomorrow!!

loadswine

Its getting there Jason, you must be just a whisker away from the goal now.
Great stuff mate.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

muffdan

Quote from: "uktotty"Jason, dont forget the 80+ BHP increase from the Kirks install tomorrow!!

lol, I'm going to have to learn to live with any vibration I get from the Kirks no matter what I think. Mark at Rapid GB told me my engine twists significantly on the stock mounts when on full throttle.

Jason
Jason

loadswine

As a future upgrade, you could always go for bigger torque mounts like I have, basically Mk2 turbo size, still silicone inserts, but no twist at all.

evileye_wrx

Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

muffdan

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Or one of these  m http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx ... ductID=795 m

That looks pretty interesting. Anyone actually used one of these?

Jason
Jason

DannyN

FGRob has one (that he bought from Phil) and it attaches to his C-One rear strut brace.

Rob will be along to correct me but I'm pretty sure that Rob had the bearings within the damper replaced and upgraded.  But once this had been done he is very happy with it and its performance
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "DannyN"FGRob has one (that he bought from Phil) and it attaches to his C-One rear strut brace.

Rob will be along to correct me but I'm pretty sure that Rob had the bearings within the damper replaced and upgraded.  But once this had been done he is very happy with it and its performance

Yep once the bearing were replaced no real problems - just gives a bit more cam noise especially over 4500rpm - Love it.

Here's the thread with all the details and photo's :  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20759&hilit=damper l

Rob

muffdan

Two pieces of news.

I got the Kirks in yesterday (cheers for the hand roger) and I am more than happy with the levels of noise and vibration. It's really only uncomfortable when pulling at low rpms, around 1500 which I tend to only do when rolling out of a junction in second gear or the likes. That's the good news.

The bad news is cylinder 3 has given up today. Continuous misfire (flashing cel) and plumes of blue smoke out the back. It sounds very unhealthy, clearly only running on 3 cylinders. Too early to know what has gone wrong and why at the moment!

Very upset about this at the moment as I have spent a lot of time and money on the best internals and rebuild with this engine over the last 6 months. I'll have to get it onto a flat bed and over to SP so Matt can figure out the details some time this week or next.

Bad times   s:( :( s:(  

Jason
Jason

uktotty

Really really sad new Jason, I am sure you have a case tho, its not as if you did all the upgrades yourself.
See what SP say about the issue and see how soon they can fix it with no charge!

loadswine

Gutted for you Jason, I'm sure Matt will get to the bottom of it for you.

aaronjb

Sad to hear that Jason - definitely let us know what happened to cylinder 3, please? Pictures would be great - I'm afraid I'd be expecting a collapsed ring land given your description (and knowledge of what kind of boost you were pushing etc).. not good.

Fingers crossed the bore is OK, if that's the case.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

DAMN!!!

That's a rough deal Jason   s:( :( s:(  

Please don't give up though, we're really looking forwards to next years road trip  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Les

muffdan

Quote from: "Les"Please don't give up though, we're really looking forwards to next years road trip  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Les

Considering this project has been running since June and I'm now probably worse off than when I started, the May road trip is probably a realistic and sensible target to aim for getting it fixed! I'm not feeling much love for the car at the moment but hoping it will pass over the next couple of weeks.

I've got a busy December with Christmas and Adele dropping out our second baby some time in the next week or so. I think I'll get the car up to SP and let Matt strip it down and investigated what's gone wrong on his back burner. Hopefully he can identify a cause too. I'll then make a big push in the new year to get it going again.

What is annoying is that the setup has only been mapped to 230 bhp and ~270 lb/f of torque. The internals should have had no problem what so ever at those levels. I suspect there's been a mistake made somewhere along the line. Be it in the manufacturing of the parts, the machine work fitting the sleeves, the machine work on the head, the assembly of the engine or the mapping. With four different companies involved in this rebuild, am I going to be able to assign 100% blame to one of the parties and is it fair to them to try to? Probably not. I fear I'm going to be footing the bill for this.

Jason
Jason

loadswine

I certainly know how you feel, its a major disappointment when it doesn't work exactly as you hoped it would. I've had similar trials along the way as well. We need to encourage each other in things like this, and I'm sure you'll get it sorted and it will be fantastic when its all done.

Mici

I'm so happy our car is SMT so it won't be überfast with turbo kit anyway, that is what is keeping me away from boost right now. Well, that plus money factor and the fact that I only have driven the car like 2 km's. All this being said, I have "some" experience on what aftermarket/home brew boost is, I have boosted my MX6 V6 with pretty decent power figures. This car btw has been standing in garage for over 3 years now after the last incidence of feeling the need for more power, turbo swap and Link+ ems installation etc etc... All of this and the car still is FWD.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I guess I only have to take a ride in Tem's car to understand what my future will be.   s:D :D s:D   I'm soooo trying to stay away from that!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

If I would, I think the TTE would pretty much be the one to get as it seems to be the only one that could be legal here.

Have a good time boosting and don't break anything up.

Mici

markiii

TTE on an smt won;t be slow by any means, drop a lightened flywheel in there and it wil love it  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"TTE on an smt won;t be slow by any means, drop a lightened flywheel in there and it wil love it  :-) :-) :-)

Mici, you heard what he said, just do it.  s:P :P s:P
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Mici

My wallet is already whining about buying the car. Yet, the boost is addicting and I've had some, so it is very, very hard to keep away from it, even if the car will be for my GF.   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Tem

Quote from: "Mici"even if the car will be for my GF.   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

I've heard that even girls can drive a TTE turbo, right Liz?  s:D :D s:D
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Chris

Quote from: "markiii"TTE on an smt won;t be slow by any means, drop a lightened flywheel in there and it wil love it  :-) :-) :-)

Hmm, so I could by the ttet in the for sale section and have two turbo'd beasts!!   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: