Stage 4 Turbo Setup

Started by muffdan, October 1, 2008, 00:58

aaronjb

I like the way things are mounted from the brace - that plus everything being coated makes it all look very 'factory'.. aside from the catch can  s;) ;) s;)  and, ironically, the factory alarm sensor!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

AmeR

That looks really tidy and stock!! I will definitely be wanting a nosey in the metal at CAE  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

andywood

Very nice!!
Got me thinking that I should wrap my manifold now (may help to keep engine bay temps down), what heat wrap is that??

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

muffdan

Quote from: "andywood"what heat wrap is that??

You'd have to ask Matt I'm afraid. He sourced it for me.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Mike_V

That looks awesome !!! Must be some experience to have that much power in a "2".   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

MattPerformance

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "andywood"what heat wrap is that??

You'd have to ask Matt I'm afraid. He sourced it for me.

It comes from Trident Racing Supplies at Silverstone Circuit

pmr01

I think I need some of that as well...I am noticing a lot of heat at the back of the car. Is it expensive?

muffdan

Not sure how much it cost now. It certainly wasn't enough for me to remember so I guess it didn't break the bank!  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

muffdan

Well quick update. Those from CAE will be aware that I had a misfire a few days before the event, which I tracked down to a dodgy coil pack. I had a couple of spares so I switched the faulty one out and all was good.

Ordered a new wideband kit and wired that up. The ECU is now running from a closed loop AFR target table again which has seemed to have helped fuel consumption. AFRs look good throughout the rev range.

This weekend I developed another misfire. Another coil pack I figured! Wrong! I loose connection on an injector sorted and now all is well again in that department. There is an exhaust blow but I can't see where it's coming from. It's not loud enough to worry me but I'll keep an ear out for it and see if it gets any worse.

Now that the engine's run in, I got to play with it on a local airfield trackday last Friday. The car is performed very well. Inlet temperatures are much better. Where I was seeing an increase on 40 degrees over ambient within 20 seconds at Christmas, it now takes a minute or so to get that warm. It returns to ambient much quicker too. Acceleration times on the day were:

0..60 at 3.8 seconds
60..100 at 4.6 seconds

This is still running on the old map. I haven't upped the rev limit yet or increased the boost. These figures are significantly faster than it was at the start of the year (despite the warmer weather) when it was achieving a 0..60 of 4.2 seconds and 0..100 of 5.3 seconds. I guess the bent valves coupled with the high inlet temperatures were seriously hurting it.

All in all, very pleased with it and hopefully it'll stay working for a while now! Once the lotus has been reworked I'll get the MR2 mapped up to 8k and a dyno print out.
Jason

AmeR

Quote from: "muffdan"Acceleration times on the day were:

0..60 at 3.8 seconds
60..100 at 4.6 seconds

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Want one! Congrats J. Hope it keeps on going now!! Sounds like you have irradicated a lot of issues and it's running a lot sweeter!!   s8) 8) s8)

E

Quote from: "AmeR"
Quote from: "muffdan"Acceleration times on the day were:

0..60 at 3.8 seconds
60..100 at 4.6 seconds

I was trying to think of a good response and that about covers it, so +1

JiMR2

As above...

AWESOME!
AKA Cinnamon Jim

Anonymous

Meah!........ok I suppose  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

ChrisGB

That is well into supercar territory! Must be a blast to drive. How is traction on the Contis? The 0 _60 time indicates it is good  s:D :D s:D  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

muffdan

Yes, traction with the conti's (in the dry) is absolutely fine. Much better than the T1R's were. I only run 60% boost in 1st gear and there's no wheel spin (unless you try for it with super high revs). Nailing it out of a corner in second gear is fine too although I don't have the courage to WOT it in that situation!

In the wet it lights up the rears in 4th gear. Not fun.

The close ratio 3rd/4th gear set I have definitely helps the acceleration times as red line in 4th is not much north of 100. I dragged from 60 to 100 just using 4th in ~5.5 seconds give or take a couple of tenths. Understandably when its put in 5th, there's an exagerated feeling of power loss. I think I might change the 5th gear ratio for the Lotus version too but keep 6th as it is for cruising.
Jason

nathanMR2

Very very   s8) 8) s8)
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

I-ll wait till I know your in top gear when we do our next continental run then nail it and watch you eat my dust  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

AmeR

Quote from: "Les"I-ll wait till I know your in top gear when we do our next continental run then nail it and watch you eat my dust  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Only on the straights though, Les!  s;) ;) s;)

muffdan

Had a full brake overhaul. Refurbed callipers, new discs/pads and fluid change. I went with the black diamond grooved and drilled discs again but switched from the Carbotech XP8 pads to Yellow Stuff. The braking performance is no where near that of the XP8s on both initial bite and more critically on brake fade. When on the track rubber, I think they'll be found unacceptable and I believe I'll have to get myself a set of track pads to switch in/out when I swap the track wheels on/off. I'm not sure I'll stick with yellow stuff at the next change for every day use. However, they are MUCH cheaper and don't have the annoying constant squeal I use to have from the XP8s though. I'll see how they go. Perhaps I'll forget how good the XP8s were and get comfortable with the Yellow Stuffs!
Jason

muffdan

And since yesterday morning, she is no more!

Jason

s12vea

Bloody hell !! Hope your ok mate? What happened..?  s:( :( s:(
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

AmeR

Holy crap on a cracker!! Hope you're ok!?

Wabbitkilla

Quite a tumble there Jason, glad you got out ok .. even if a bit sore.
This doesn't seem like a good year for the turbo fraternity.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

FGrob

It's really shocking to see this, glad you're OK, I still get that shoulder looked at as the results of that type in injury can be life changing (speaking from experience of a work colleague). It was on the road then - just yourself???

Yes Nic it would appear we are losing turbo's quicker than they can be produced - that's two of the top output machines gone, plus the second green one in as many weeks.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

loadswine

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Strewth!! That looks like it was a biggie! Lucky to walk away from that one.
Loads of money gone into that, great shame,but main thing is that you're okay.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: