Stage 4 Turbo Setup

Started by muffdan, October 1, 2008, 00:58

muffdan

Right, I'm back to fixing my car now, after getting a new born baby and Christmas/New Year out the way it's full steam ahead, depending how much steam my wallet can provide anyway.

Salvaged uprated internals from my current engine:

Crower Stage II FI cams
Crower Connecting Rods
ARP main and head stud kits

My shopping cart currently consists of:

MWR built block/head with:
Darton Sleeves
Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons
ported head
MWR valves
GT28RS turbo
Power FC

then a bag of bolts and couple of nuts later it'll be ready for a mapping to around 350 bhp (hopefully).

Here we go again!

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

StuM

Nice to hear you're back on it - good luck!   s:D :D s:D
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

evileye_wrx

Looking forward to further updates on this one. Do you think porting the head will make much difference? Am thinking of new tweaks for additional power in the future

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

loadswine

So why did the last incarnation of the engine destroy itself jason?
I take it you're going for a completely new engine now from MWR.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Ready for when we visit in March?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

muffdan

Quote from: "Les"Ready for when we visit in March?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

it's pushing it but maybe. I might be running it in then so if I do have it we won't be able to have a play  s:) :) s:)

This year's road trip is the real target to get it done.

Quote from: "loadswine"So why did the last incarnation of the engine destroy itself jason?
I take it you're going for a completely new engine now from MWR.

I don't think I'll ever know what the cause of the failure was. Piston 3 melted so it sounds like maybe the timing was too advanced or it was running lean. That's part of the reason for going down the Power FC route as I'm leaning towards blaming the stock ECU/Unichip Q combo not working together correctly. I must stress that is just my opinion and I have no idea if there were any issues with the mapping or perhaps automatic adjustments being made by the stock ECU overriding the uni-chip etc. I'll be getting lots of guages fitted to my new motor so I can keep an eye on oil temp and such. The Power FC will also give me knock readings.

The engine from MWR is not new, it'll be a reconditioned head and block.

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Do you think porting the head will make much difference? Am thinking of new tweaks for additional power in the future

not sure, but I might as well get it done! MWR claim it will make a difference to power through the whole rev range.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

loadswine

Sounds as if you've got a decent plan going there Jason. Matt doing the build again?
I assume you can still get the power FC, if not, a Link G4 is supposed to be absolutely brilliant has all sorts of goodies for controlling afr, boost and can incorporate launch control and flat gear changes as well. The Mk2 chaps and some of the V6 guys swear by these. I know of at least 2 very good mappers as well, Ryan from 2Bar Tuning and Nod I think does this stuff also and superb by all accounts.

custardavenger

Quote from: "muffdan"Piston 3 melted so it sounds like maybe the timing was too advanced or it was running lean.

SNAP!

Doh but it was piston 2. You win

Guages are definately the way forward. I didn't understand till it blew what use a EGT guage would be. Just need to find a cool way to mount them.

Sounds really good though. Wish I had the cash to get an engine from them. 350BHP is an exciting target.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

loadswine

I have a brand new egt gauge that I could always sell at cost to anyone who wants it.
I believe that the smarter ecus can fuel the centre cylinders a bit richer for cooler running if necessary.

custardavenger

I'm sure the PFC will do it but you'd have to be able to monitor the cylinders seperately to be able to set it up without guessing.
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

Quote from: "loadswine"Sounds as if you've got a decent plan going there Jason. Matt doing the build again?
I assume you can still get the power FC, if not, a Link G4 is supposed to be absolutely brilliant has all sorts of goodies for controlling afr, boost and can incorporate launch control and flat gear changes as well.

Launch control is pretty impressive! MWR have Power FC's in stock, I'm trying to get a good deal from them for ordering everything with them but we'll have to see if they go for it.

Matt is going to do the engine transplant and the work necessary to replace the tiny TTET with the GT28RS. Hopefully there's enough room to fit it in there!

Quote from: "custardavenger"
Quote from: "muffdan"Piston 3 melted so it sounds like maybe the timing was too advanced or it was running lean.

SNAP!

Doh but it was piston 2. You win

Guages are definately the way forward. I didn't understand till it blew what use a EGT guage would be. Just need to find a cool way to mount them.

Sounds really good though. Wish I had the cash to get an engine from them. 350BHP is an exciting target.

The 'Melted Piston' club is one I wish both of us weren't members of  s:( :( s:(  I bought Stu's pillar gauge pod off him, so I have two empty slots to fill on that, and I also have a slot free where my AEM TruBoost controller presently is. The engine built from MWR isn't that badly priced considering what you're getting. It's a little frustrating that I've already paid for this set of kit once before though.

Quote from: "loadswine"I have a brand new egt gauge that I could always sell at cost to anyone who wants it.

I think I can take that off your hands Nige if it's a good looking bit of kit! Can you let me know which one it is? And how much you're looking for it!

Jason
Jason

aaronjb

Quote from: "aaronjb"Sad to hear that Jason - definitely let us know what happened to cylinder 3, please? Pictures would be great - I'm afraid I'd be expecting a collapsed ring land given your description (and knowledge of what kind of boost you were pushing etc).. not good.

Well, I was close  s;) ;) s;)

I figured the tune had to be a million miles out for you to have been putting down the power you were at the boost level you were.. and I think piston 3 paid the price.

Given the money you've already spent, I'm actually not sure I'd use the PFC (and I'm a big fan of the PFC!) - I'd be looking at the Link, or even a smaller MoTeC.. if you're shooting for the stars, you may as well do it properly  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

muffdan

Quote from: "aaronjb"I'd be looking at the Link, or even a smaller MoTeC.. if you're shooting for the stars, you may as well do it properly  s;) ;) s;)

Link STORM G4, is this the one?

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Link_STORM_G4-THOR00371.asp

How does the boost controller on this compare to the boost controller on the PFC? Is it a variable boost controller? I'd prefer not to have a stand alone boost controller if I have the option. I do want to control the boost through the whole rev range though to keep the car drivable!

Jason
Jason

muffdan

Ok, I'm sold on the G4, it is a fully variable boost controller. I've just been speaking to Thor about fitting/mapping it and I'm going to go ahead with that.

It has launch control and anti-lag!!!

I think I'll set up the launch control but leave out the anti lag  s:) :) s:)

Jason
Jason

loadswine

It is supposed to be the weapon of choice for tuners all over the place right now. It has a huge amount of features apparently, which make the boost control, launch etc all seem integrated. Another you might want to consider is the AEM system, but The Link looks good to me.
( Jason I'll PM you later on the egr)

markiii

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "aaronjb"I'd be looking at the Link, or even a smaller MoTeC.. if you're shooting for the stars, you may as well do it properly  s;) ;) s;)

Link STORM G4, is this the one?

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Link_STORM_G4-THOR00371.asp

How does the boost controller on this compare to the boost controller on the PFC? Is it a variable boost controller? I'd prefer not to have a stand alone boost controller if I have the option. I do want to control the boost through the whole rev range though to keep the car drivable!

Jason

PFC has no boost control
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

See the link does Launch control, and that is functionality from the Race Logic Traction Control. i was wondering if the link can be used instead of a RLTC or do you still neeed both for the TC/slip part?

Phil

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"PFC has no boost control

Indeed - not on our cars, anyway.  On cars that were factory turbo it does (or can have, but it's expensive, and not that advanced) - but on our cars.. there's no option for any kind of MAP or boost control, sadly.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

muffdan

Update:

Engine ordered to the following spec:

MWR Built 1ZZ Engine (head ported)
Darton Sleeves
Wiseco Piston Set - 8.8:1
ARP studs
Crower Stage II FI Cams
Crower Rods
MWR Valve Spring Kit
MWR Titanium Valve Retainer Set

Turbo ordered from FRSport : GT28RS - .64 A/R

Unfortunately MWR can only get it shipped to (air)port at London, I have to arrange transport myself from there. Delivery network perhaps anyone?  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:D :D s:D  

Also ordered me the Cruise Control kit from MWR and seriously thinking about a Racelogic Traction Control system.

Jason
Jason

custardavenger

Cherching. You didn't forget to tick many boxes on the order form did you.   s:D :D s:D  

Should be awsome when finished.
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

Quote from: "custardavenger"Cherching. You didn't forget to tick many boxes on the order form did you.   s:D :D s:D  

Should be awsome when finished.

The price is not pretty. The G4 is going to cost a load of coin too. Oh, I've added an uprated fuel pump to the order and SP has found me a Moroso sump also.

Jason
Jason

custardavenger

I bet it isn't. Well you've got all the right components for a proper gearbox killer. I hope it all comes together well. When do you expect the engine to arrive?
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

There's a 3 week wait for 1zz builds, and another 1 to 1.5 week for delivery. I also need to get them my current engine before they'll ship the new one out. SP are getting the pipe work for the GT28RS sorted before he drops my engine out and ships it. That work is waiting on the arrive of the turbo/exhaust flange which I'm expecting to be delivered in the next few days.

I'm hoping my gear box makes it to Corfu and back before I need to upgrade that. The last Corfu trip killed my last box!

Jason
Jason

Star_69

Nice work Jason. You've gone for a killer spec! Looking forward to seeing this complete. Without meaning to sound rude and asking about costs, was the shipping to/from MWR for the engine as expensive as you'd imagine or not that bad? Obviously it pails in comparison to the cost of the project, but was curious.
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Ilogik

How much does it cost to ship your engine to America?  Have you spoken to Rogue out of curiosity mate for them to doyou a build? Exchange rate currently has to be similair and Rogue are the Shizzle!  Plus they are in the UK, they sell the Link, so the car would be pretty much all built for you,  mapped and ready to drive away, and if you have a problem, drive it back :p
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Tags: