Stage 4 Turbo Setup

Started by muffdan, October 1, 2008, 00:58

muffdan

Quote from: "Star_69"Nice work Jason. You've gone for a killer spec! Looking forward to seeing this complete. Without meaning to sound rude and asking about costs, was the shipping to/from MWR for the engine as expensive as you'd imagine or not that bad? Obviously it pails in comparison to the cost of the project, but was curious.

Cost for shipping by air is $900, which for an engine isn't that bad I guess, pity about having to move it from London to SP myself though, guess I'll have to hire a van.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

uktotty

I recon this may fit in the back of my 4x4 Jason and I work near Heathrow

Ilogik

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "Star_69"Nice work Jason. You've gone for a killer spec! Looking forward to seeing this complete. Without meaning to sound rude and asking about costs, was the shipping to/from MWR for the engine as expensive as you'd imagine or not that bad? Obviously it pails in comparison to the cost of the project, but was curious.

Cost for shipping by air is $900, which for an engine isn't that bad I guess, pity about having to move it from London to SP myself though, guess I'll have to hire a van.

Jason

There are pallet services, which cost about £70, don't know what they would be like to collect from the airport. For the cost of fuel though  and hiring a van pallet is good. Guessing thats how it would come over as well.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

uktotty

Unlikely to come in a Van, most of the time these days they put them on Planes, its quicker and they carry more stuff

Ilogik

I mean't it should come on a pallet on the plane :p So he does not have to worry about how the people would collect it as it would be already strapped up ready to get lifted straight onto  a truck and delivered.

m http://www.parcelbroker.co.uk/palletdelivery.html m

worth looking up.

muffdan

Quote from: "Ilogik"How much does it cost to ship your engine to America?  Have you spoken to Rogue out of curiosity mate for them to doyou a build? Exchange rate currently has to be similair and Rogue are the Shizzle!  Plus they are in the UK, they sell the Link, so the car would be pretty much all built for you,  mapped and ready to drive away, and if you have a problem, drive it back :p

Not sure on the price of shipping mine to America, will find out in a few weeks!

I haven't spoken to Rogue about the 1zz rebuild. I would expect they would source the parts from MWR anyway and not sure if they can perform the block work. I have PM'd Patrick about fitting the G4 and mapping it though. He hasn't got back to me yet. SP are also in touch with Rogue and Matt is going to talk to Patrick about mapping my car too.

MWR have built lots of engines to this spec, boring out the head and fitting the sleeves is not cheap over here but they are charging just $600 for it. Basically they are building/supplying the engine with all the forged internals listed and flying it to the UK for $6600 which in my opinion is a bargain.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

muffdan

Quote from: "uktotty"I recon this may fit in the back of my 4x4 Jason and I work near Heathrow

Might take you up on that Russ! Will have to wait and see which airport it'll be arriving at.
Jason

muffdan

Quote from: "Ilogik"I mean't it should come on a pallet on the plane :p So he does not have to worry about how the people would collect it as it would be already strapped up ready to get lifted straight onto  a truck and delivered.

m http://www.parcelbroker.co.uk/palletdelivery.html m

worth looking up.

Cheers, I'll check them out as an option. Not sure if I have to be there in person to collect it etc. If I do, then I might has well collect and deliver it myself.

Jason
Jason

Ilogik

Rogue can do all that plus more

check out this MK2 build

m http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewto ... rt=30.html m  

The care and time, as well as customer service is second to none.

Star_69

Yeah $900 shipping is very good! MWR are so highly rated on all the lotus, celica, corolla and MR2 forums its unreal and I dont blame you for getting it all done in one. I'm with Ilogik on the pallet front. Cost me 65quid to ship my engine and with the fuel costs both ways, day's leave from work etc, its worth considering. Good luck!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

loadswine

Interesting stuff mate, good luck with it. If you need a good courier to get things to the States, drop me a pm.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

muffdan

Just ordered me some 60mm Defi Link White face gauges. An EGT and Oil Temp to fit my (Stu's old) Greddy gauge pillar mount.

Just need a nice little toggle switch for the two boost mappings now  s:) :) s:)  And maybe (definitely) a switch to turn the traction control off too.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Jason
Jason

loadswine

If you're going for the Link G4, there is a nice looking display screen to go with it. Link display i think its called, that's if you've got any room left.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

muffdan

Quote from: "loadswine"If you're going for the Link G4, there is a nice looking display screen to go with it. Link display i think its called, that's if you've got any room left.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah, I have my eye on the display unit, unfortunately my wallet isn't going to be able to stretch the £500+ for it   s:( :( s:(  . It was the display unit or traction control! I'll be getting it at some point in the future though as the information it displays is fantastic. I especially want the air intake temp and knock readouts.

Are you getting the display unit Nige?
Jason

Star_69

Quote from: "muffdan"And maybe (definitely) a switch to turn the traction control off too.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

How about http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control-Products_and_Pricing-Digital_Adjuster   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Anonymous

Me thinks this has got the potential to be a very interesting and fun drive to Corfu this year   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

muffdan

Quote from: "Les"Me thinks this has got the potential to be a very interesting and fun drive to Corfu this year   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Interesting indeed. I'm very concerned about the lack of time I'm going to have between getting this car finished and the trip. Hopefully reliability won't be a problem, but we might have to do some checks now and then to make sure nothing's working itself loose etc   s:) :) s:)  

Just added this matching Defi boost gauge to my gauge order:

A close-ish match to the standard gauges with the exception of this have green back lights  s:( :( s:(   Oh well, I think they'll look pretty good during the day at least!

Jason
Jason

muffdan

Quote from: "Star_69"
Quote from: "muffdan"And maybe (definitely) a switch to turn the traction control off too.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

How about http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control-Products_and_Pricing-Digital_Adjuster   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Yeah, I think I'll be making a pass on that Brad!
Jason

StuM

Quote from: "muffdan"A close-ish match to the standard gauges with the exception of this have green back lights  s:( :( s:(   Oh well, I think they'll look pretty good during the day at least!

On here it says that the light comes from LEDs - can you change the bulbs to get a different colour?  Or is it EL on the white ones?
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

muffdan

Quote from: "StuM"
Quote from: "muffdan"A close-ish match to the standard gauges with the exception of this have green back lights  s:( :( s:(  Oh well, I think they'll look pretty good during the day at least!

On here it says that the light comes from LEDs - can you change the bulbs to get a different colour? Or is it EL on the white ones?

Possibly
Jason

muffdan

Ok, all parts for Round 2 ordered, JUST got to put it all together   s:) :) s:)  . The setup will consist of:

MWR built 1ZZ
   Ported head
   MWR valves
   MWR spring set
   ARP main/head stud kit
   Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 compression
   Darton Sleeves
   Crower Stage II FI cams
   Crower Connecting Rods
Link Storm G4 ECU (low/high boost maps + anti lag switchable + 8k red line, maybe a bit lower, haven't decided yet)
MWR 630cc injectors
MWR uprated fuel pump (250 l/h)
MWR Cruise Control
SARD Fuel pressure reguator
GT28RS turbo
Custom Intercooler
SARD BOV
Toga oil pump
Oil cooler + front mounted radiator
Oil Catch can
2ZZ water pump
Moroso sump
Exidy Ceramic clutch
SP exhaust system + down pipe
SP Induction kit
SP12 wheels + Toyo rubber
Defi gauges - EGT / Oil Temp / Boost

Race Logic Traction Control Unit is going to have to wait; penny pile is running low.  s:( :( s:(

The thinking from the guys in the know is this setup should be good for 340 bhp, fingers crossed. A good safe pair of maps is a higher priority than the figures.

Jason
Jason

muffdan

Quote from: "StuM"
Quote from: "muffdan"A close-ish match to the standard gauges with the exception of this have green back lights  s:( :( s:(   Oh well, I think they'll look pretty good during the day at least!

On here it says that the light comes from LEDs - can you change the bulbs to get a different colour?  Or is it EL on the white ones?

Had a look at the gauges, they're sealed units and almost impossible to find as they've been discontinued for 2 years. I think I'll leave them be rather than risk breaking them. It's taken me a month to source them all and each supplier that had them only had one left in stock.

Jason
Jason

Star_69

Awesome! Can I call a 'shotgun' for when its finished?   s:D :D s:D
-Brad

muffdan

Quote from: "Star_69"Awesome! Can I call a 'shotgun' for when its finished?   s:D :D s:D

You certianly can mate, and I wouldn't mind a ride in yours either should we ever meet up!
Jason

custardavenger

Wow Jason you reall have ticked all the options. When finish mapped I recon you'll be getting everything out of a 1ZZ that you ever could.

Just a question
Race Logic Traction Control is great and you can dial in slip etc but not sure of cost

You've gone for the Link G4 Storm (£825ish) where the Link G4 Xtreme (£1284) has traction control and a host of other features
Now I haven't looked into the Link (but will be doing as they do look good) but does seam to be better value for money to upgrade that than add the racelogic? Is it maybe that you wouldn't use the other feature as you'll be getting the car mapped for you and not get involved in the ECU after that?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: