Cleaning Without the streaks???

Started by Anonymous, June 19, 2003, 13:51

Anonymous

i have got an 03 lagoon blue
i have tried polishing with autoglym and mer polishes, but when ever the sun shines directly on the panels it looks really streaky,
what do peeps use and what order do you follow when you clean your cars???

Anonymous

I use something called Bosin Professional Car Polish - you put it on while the car is still wet so you dont get streaky marks when the water dries out as all the water is absorbed into the sponge as you put it on. Leaves a really deep shine too.

Im sure there are other products out there that do the same thing - saves you having to shamy the car too!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So i roof clean, rinse, wheels, quick wash, rinse, proper wash, rinse, wet polish, buff, roof conditioner, windows, run a cloth over car to get rid of any polish i may have missed... job done!   s:D :D s:D  

I will be taking it to JAE so if your there you can give it a try.

Anonymous

Wow!  I love my car but how long does that take you?!  I don't have the time to be doing that all the time!

The problem I have is that our water has peat or something in it so when I rinse the car off ofter I've washed it any water that dries naturally leaves marks on the car so I have to chamois it down or wax, every time.   s:x :x s:x  

I think I might just start paying someone to clean my car so it looks good all the time, even when I'm too busy to clean her.

--H--

Anonymous

thats when im in a good mood i do that, otherwise the roof will not get done. but the rest of it only take about an hour or so... only a little car aint it!!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

zud

I've a feeling that some of this will be a bit contentious, but you did ask!....

1.  Rinse with Karcher jet washer
2.  Hand wash using one of those stringy mitts...
2.1.  I use a little ph neutral soap (Dove) for roof and windscreen
2.2.  I use wax shampoo for bodywork, starting with main panels and ending with wheels
3.  Rinse with Karcher jet washer
4.  Chamois, including door sills and frames.  If I'm not polishing then chamois until no water marks, otherwise just get rid of the worst.
5.  Apply Mer with a damp cloth
6.  Polish using Halfords polishing cloth
7.  Hoover
8.  Polish interior with Williams F1 Interior polish (sparingly)
9.  Halfords glass cleaner on windows (occassionally)

I haven't noticed any streaks... but maybe I don't look close enough!

I guess there'll be some commets about the Karcher and the Dove... I avoid spraying too close and haven't noticed any problems with the paintwork.  The car is a '51, I've been cleaning the roof this way for 5 months, and there's no cracking... but I am planning to buy some proper shampoo/conditioner next time I go to Halfords!!  Flame away!!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

juansolo

Oh God, please NOOOOOOOOooooooo.................!

It's 'THE POLISHING THREAD'

Kill me, kill me now.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"Oh God, please NOOOOOOOOooooooo.................!

It's 'THE POLISHING THREAD'

Kill me, kill me now.
No...  then who'll kill me?...

--H--

juansolo

I could set up a slow Bond-esque demise for you if you like.  Obviously I'd have to divulge all my evil plans to you before I started the conveyor that will give you ample time to escape and foil me again...

Anonymous

An easily escapable, unnecessarily slow dipping mechanism perhaps?...

--H--

Anonymous

Preferrably with scantily dressed dusky, yet lethal maidens there to see over my untimely demise.........  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Calgon i use from a thread i read about ages ago on the old forum no strechs and looks good without waxing   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

juansolo

Death by Zymol   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Hope4Sun

Ok, its just to good to resist posting, just to add to the thread  s:) :) s:) , now each to there own when it comes to cleaning, and its really the driving we all love, but here's what I do to clean the car (and seems to work on black too, the water around here leaves terrible water marks), taken from my experance, talking to friend who are valeters and reading a few detailsing books...

I try never to clean the car when its a hot day or in direct sun light, early morning, car porch or evenings are good  s:) :) s:)

Rinse the Car with hose with nossel

Warm Water in Bucket and Toothbrush, cotton wall buds and soft cloth, run toothbrush along all seems with rubber, door handles, badges, lettering, etc, etc. Cotton bud and cloth for really hard to reach spots.

Rinse Car (no nossle, all rinsing by flooding with slow running water now)

Starting with the top of the car (unless the hardtops off), wash with soapy sponge, rinse. Towel or shamey straight away. Rinse the sponge regularly, this help prevent swirls caused by dirt, etc (Bug sponge for front of car, something like AutoGlym bug/tar remover for real sticky spots)

Then each panel in turn across the car, leaving any panels in direct sunlight until last (see above). I use a different sponge and shamey for the bottom of the panels and wheel arches to the rest of the car, avoid spreading grit.

Go around the car and make sure all the water is removed from joins with lights, bumpers, etc (nothing ruin's waxing more  s:( :( s:(  )

Should the car have water marks that will not move, then a light polish will work, I recommend cleansing the paintwork at least once a year, Mer, Autogylm cleanser, I swear by Zymol's HD Cleanser. This stuff removes all marks and does not cut the paint!!!

Apply wax working from the top down,  2ft x 2ft areas, follow the body work when applying, not in circles. Follow the wax instructions, some waxes are a pain to remove from the plastics, so avoid where possible  s;) ;) s;)

Polish the wax to a shine, re-apply to the front bumper, bonnet, wings, mirrors and A frame to help with removal of fly's in future

Apply glass cleaner

Apply rubber treat, back to black, etc to rubbers and plastic, avoid silicon getting onto waxed areas, causes smears. I use thin card and push into joins when applying spray based products. Or spray onto cloth and apply.

Using a separate bucket and sponge/brush etc to the rest of the car, rinse the wheels, apply cleaner (low or now acid based products are best, Halfords wheel cleaner is pretty mild)

Clean and rinse wheels, dry and apply wheel protector or wax

Apply tyre dressing if preferred, though a good scrub with a brush and rinse brings them up.

Finally apply chrome/metal polish to exhaust(s)

Then for the inside  s:D :D s:D , only kidding, but a good clean and wax like this should allow just a rinse a shamey for a few months. I try and avoid real leather shameys, if I do use them then a cod oiled shamey's is good. Some shameys remove the wax's you so painstakingly applied.

Takes a some time to, but i hope your agree the results look good. Maybe i'll be valeting cars at the JAE  s:D :D s:D  Then i may even show how good Peanut butter can aid the cleaning inside the wheel arches...

Andy

R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

WOW - nice shine!

zud

Hope4Sun, I've gotta confess, I read the second half of your write-up just waiting for you to declare it a wind-up!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    But having got to the end, the pics look superb!

Hope4Sun

The guys from last years JAE will vouch for the toothbrush  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: , i'm just sad   s:? :? s:?    I guess, but i love to see a car shine  s:) :) s:)  And now i have a black one i have to clean it twice as much  s:( :( s:(

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Darth Paul

Yep, mine's black too. Takes about eight hours to do a really good job.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   And it needs waxing every time to remove the water streaks.

Yep, I sure do love her.  s:? :? s:?  

DP

Darth Paul

Yep, mine's black too. Takes about eight hours to do a really good job.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   And it needs waxing every time to remove the water streaks.

Yep, I sure do love her.  s:? :? s:?  

DP

Tem

Farecla G10
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection*2

Washed the car only twice this year so far, last time in April. Just need to hose it every two weeks and take it for a ride to dry it. I keep getting compliments all the time about how clean it looks.

Edit: And by "hose" I mean a 120bar pressure washer, not a garden hose  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

Drive to car wash

Sit in car whilst half naked young men stretch themselves all over the car  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Get them to hoover it as well and clean the glass

Pay them nice young men and give them a tip if they have done a good job like they normally do

Go home with nice clean streak free car - this of course is the lazy cow option - but I really don't have time to do it myself and I hate the 3 days beard growth look with dead flies on the front at this time of year.

But I have got to say Andy - I could be getting the polish out and doing it myself if that is the sort of result that you can get.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Quote from: "Liz"half naked young men

Can I change that to something else?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

zud

Quote from: "Tem"Farecla G10
Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection*2

Washed the car only twice this year so far, last time in April. Just need to hose it every two weeks and take it for a ride to dry it. I keep getting compliments all the time about how clean it looks.

Edit: And by "hose" I mean a 120bar pressure washer, not a garden hose  s:) :) s:)

Sounds good to me!!!  But would it work for me?... I drive about two hours per day through outer London traffic, and park it on my drive overnight... how does this compare to your journeys?  Would I still get away with the occassional full wash and a weekly pressure wash if I used the same products???

Tags: