SMT 2004 v 2001

Started by crankshaft, January 22, 2004, 13:59

crankshaft

Hi;

I understand that the 2003/2004 SMT ECU has been upgraged and that the 0 -60 times are now an equal match for a manual box.

Any one know if this is true and if so how I can take advantage of that  :-) :-) :-)

CrankShaft

======== Edited ================================
 ** Opps, wrong sectiion, can someone move this to performance **
2001 SMT - Pete

markiii

yes and no.

faster yes. As fast as a manual no.

Sound liek a simple ECU swap? again afraid not. Teh new box is 6 speed so teh electronics need to be aware of that.

unless you fancy swapping teh box as well?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

Quote from: "markiii"yes and no.

faster yes. As fast as a manual no.

Sound liek a simple ECU swap? again afraid not. the new box is 6 speed so the electronics need to be aware of that.

unless you fancy swapping the box as well?
You'd need to swap the diff too for full compatibility.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

also true.

if you ever nuke your box, I'd upgrade rather than just fit the same.

But it's a major PITA just for a slightly faster change.

You'd probably not save anything over upgrading teh car.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Then it would get upset big-time because it couldn't talk to the TC/VSC controller, so you would need to fit that. Then the TC/VSC controller would get miffed 'cause the ABS controller wasn't talking the right language so that would have to be changed.......

Oh and that's before the engine ECU gets its finger in the pie (the ECU in both my '03 cars has a label saying it is specifically for the 6 speed SMT)

Get the picture  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

arse, forgot about that.

I'm so glad I have the manual. All thses blasted computers.

Anonymous

Don't the US ones have a 5speed SMT for '03?  Couldn't you get one of their controllers?

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Don't the US ones have a 5speed SMT for '03?  Couldn't you get one of their controllers?

They do.

They also have different set of gearing, different diff...not sure if those affect anything or not, but...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

it will be the same controller as our old one though. Toyota is just getting rid of old stock.

Anonymous

Ahh, was just a thought, oh well  s:) :) s:)

mph

However, TTE is very interested in improving the SMT controller's response time given a market place to sell to. Suitable interest from people willing to pay for such a product will not go unmissed.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

Now that sounds interesting I would like one out of the Formula one cars please Mr TTE..........  s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

mph

But presumably without an equivilent price tag...
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

I will offer to test it for them on a lone basis that sounds fair to me...... He He He .......  s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

filcee

Apply for a driving job, it should come with a car, shouldn't it? Be prepared to do a fair bit of travelling though  s:) :) s:)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: