Am I missing something?

Started by ad_car_08, October 8, 2008, 13:14

ad_car_08

Hi,

Just a quick query regarding the heatshield after people have gutted their precats. I see quite a few people saying that after they've gutted their precats, they quite happily leave the heat shield off?? Is that because it is possible with an aftermarket manifold, but not with the standard one??
Which leads me to the purpose of this topic...Am I missing something..because when I gutted my precats, i could see the Oxgen sensor wires were blatently gonna get fried from the heat off the manifold? So I'm wondering how you guys have lasted this long?!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'd much prefer to leave my heatsheild off, because I had to drill out the bolts to get the sucker off, so at the moment it's not being held as securely as it was, and is giving off a terrible buzzy rattle at low revs. (I hope it's the heat shield and not big ends that I seem to see some people are having a similar noise as me!!)
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Jaik

The insulation on the O2 sensor wires should cope fine with very high temperatures, I've never heard of people having problems leaving the heatshields off the standard manifold.

ad_car_08

Exactly my thoughts....other owners do it, I was just scheptical about melting wires because they are long enough to come into contact with the manifold??   s:? :? s:?
[/size]

Anonymous

My shield has been off for over two years with no problem (it is a Che mind you, not a standard manifold but I doubt this makes any difference as long as the leads don't actually touch it).
The rattle may also be the shields around the cat; the spot welds commonly break and you get this really annoying noise at low revs). There is a fix and there are lots of posts about it on the forum. One day I might even get around to doing it myself   s:D :D s:D

ad_car_08

Quote from: "sandstrain"My shield has been off for over two years with no problem (it is a Che mind you, not a standard manifold but I doubt this makes any difference as long as the leads don't actually touch it).
The rattle may also be the shields around the cat; the spot welds commonly break and you get this really annoying noise at low revs). There is a fix and there are lots of posts about it on the forum. One day I might even get around to doing it myself   s:D :D s:D

coincidently I was just reading about the rattly cat shields! Thanks for the advice   s:D :D s:D
[/size]

Tags: