Floaty car under normal driving

Started by ad_car_08, October 10, 2008, 14:26

ad_car_08

Hi,

I've been experiencing a floaty feeling when I'm driving @ about 50/60mph. It's as if the front gets alot lighter, and the rear seems to skip around at the slightest of bumps - however driving at slower speeds it feels planted and stuck firm to the road.

My '2 isn't modified in any way as far as I'm aware (only had it since August) so it's got standard geometry setup.

Was just wondering what would help solve this problem? Bracing under the car? Aftermarket suspension? Or could it be a mechanical problem, e.g. worn bushes or something?

Thanks in advance   s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

edward.carter

Any uneven tyre wear that could suggest tracking is out?
im getting mine done tomorrow, not as grippy as it used to be so i think its quite a bit off.

Also have a look under the front of your car see if you have got two little plastic flaps in front of the front wheels and one long one that just hangs down a bit across the bottome of the front bumper.

Wabbitkilla

What year is your car?

Like above there are plastic diffusers that run along under the front lip of the bumper which aid high speed stability at the front, I've heard people talk about similar floaty feelings when these are missing. Also on post 2003 cars the front member bracing was improved which helped to control floaty feeling at the front. It's an easy retrofit if need be.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Kool PT

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"What year is your car?

Like above there are plastic diffusers that run along under the front lip of the bumper which aid high speed stability at the front, I've heard people talk about similar floaty feelings when these are missing. Also on post 2003 cars the front member bracing was improved which helped to control floaty feeling at the front. It's an easy retrofit if need be.

are these like flat plastic flaps that sit vertically? I've noticed at least one of these before but hadn't a clue what it was for...if i'm actually missing the other are they easy to pick up?
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

As previously referenced, there are two small spoilers in front of the front wheels and an elongated one under the front bumper, also another two front of the rear wheels. My 2001 had only the two in front of the front wheels....I've fitted the longer one at the front...........don't need the ones for the back as they won't fit under the side skirts!

I didn't take the front bumper off when fitting,took a gamble on measurement, drilled the holes....managed to get some bolts inside the front of the rad.....
Hey presto!!

In fact, if you're interested,in the two small rears, pay  the postage and a small  fee to the club funds and i'll forward..Howzatt?

B.
W. B. Webster

ad_car_08

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"What year is your car?

Wow, didn't expect such a barrage of replies so soon! Thanks   s:D :D s:D  

Mine is a 2000 "W" reg.
Strange you should mention those hanging down plastic things, I was walking to the car today during my lunch hour and not noticed them before. Thinking it was abit of plastic hanging down, i put my hand under the car and gave it a press to see if it's just dropped down, but it seemed pretty solid where it was, so I just jumped in the car and went on my merry way!
That was the drivers side...not sure whether I've got one on the passenger side or the one at the front bumper...don't remember seeing any at the back when I was gutting my precats now you mention it   s:? :? s:?  

So if any of these are missing, I'm inclined to feel a floaty sensation?!  Crazy what a few bits of flimsy plastic can do!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[/size]

roger

........and the old chestnut, have you checked your tyre pressures? The car seems more planted with 1 or 2 psi out of the front, so just maybe, you are running too high? Not unusual if you leave a garage to set the pressures   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

edward.carter

my personal preference has been 28psi front 32psi rear. but thats just me  s:) :) s:)

Kool PT

Quote from: "edward.carter"my personal preference has been 28psi front 32psi rear. but thats just me  s:) :) s:)

same on Toyo T1Rs

ad_car_08

Quote from: "edward.carter"my personal preference has been 28psi front 32psi rear. but thats just me  s:) :) s:)

psi levels were going to be my next question actually!
Thanks, I'll check the pressures at my local garage on my way, see if that works?
[/size]

ad_car_08

Quote from: "Kool PT"

same on Toyo T1Rs

I bought the car with Firestone rubber all round, slightly cracked but apparently didn't show up as an issue on the MOT which was put on a matter of days before I picked the car up
[/size]

Kool PT

please don't take any precautions with tyres...if you are experiencing this sort of problem with cracked old rubber it may be worth your money in the long run forking out a couple of hundred to get a set of new toyos fitted - ps they're a great 'first upgrade'...cheap, hard wearing, and good overall grip in both wet and dry.

edward.carter

hard wearing, ha, you not trying hard enough lol sorry OT   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   toyos are great though!  s:) :) s:)

Kool PT

i've only run mine for about 5000 miles but they appear to be holding up reasonably well, i was really just reflecting what appears to be common opinion...

edward.carter

my rear toyos lasted 6k lol
they are grippy though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
anyway floaty cars....   s:D :D s:D

roger

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Thanks, I'll check the pressures at my local garage on my way, see if that works?

.......and take what that pressure gauge says only as a guide. Worth popping in to Halfrauds (or wherever) and getting yourself a digital.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ad_car_08

Well.....I took a trip to my local garage to check pressures.

One rear had 30psi, the other 32psi, and both fronts had 30psi. I took advice and popped 32psi in the back and let some air out so both fronts had 28psi. It made a surprising difference!! For the sake of a measely amount of air, i'm staggered at how sure footed it feels!!

Still feels abit floaty though   s:( :( s:(  

I checked underneath the car to find i only have two bits of plastic sticking down (one infront of each front wheel). So, no bit of plastic coming from the front bumper and no bits of plastic infront of the rear wheels either?!  s:? :? s:?
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Don't worry, the middle bit wasn't fitted on early cars.

You could get some L shaped trimming strip from B&Q or similate, cut to length and fit.
I think the holes are there in the bumper for the clips, so drill some matching holes in the L strip and get some clips to clip it in.

Result
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jaik

The early cars don't have the rear spats  s:) :) s:)

Innocent

Do a search for spats and look for i post i put on some months ago. Someone put the part number for the front spat on there for me, i think its only about a tenner too.

I know the feeling you're talking about, and it is down to this front spat. The pre 2002 car without the spat feels a little loose at high speeds, but its really only a feeling and doesnt affect stability on high speed cornering as long as you dont snap at the wheel. Never got a round to doing it myself but this has reminded me thanks!

Quote from: "wbarrwebster"....I've fitted the longer one at the front.

So you've done the job? How big a difference do you think it has made?

ChuckyBru

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Well.....I took a trip to my local garage to check pressures.

One rear had 30psi, the other 32psi, and both fronts had 30psi. I took advice and popped 32psi in the back and let some air out so both fronts had 28psi. It made a surprising difference!! For the sake of a measely amount of air, i'm staggered at how sure footed it feels!!

Still feels abit floaty though   s:( :( s:(  

I checked underneath the car to find i only have two bits of plastic sticking down (one infront of each front wheel). So, no bit of plastic coming from the front bumper and no bits of plastic infront of the rear wheels either?!  s:? :? s:?

I had a similar 'floaty' feeling, normally just as  I was finishing an overtake and easing off the power slightly... really put the wind up me the first time it happened.  Checked the tyre pressures and they were all way over what they should be.  Now running 26psi on the front and 32psi on the back (both 15" stock rims) - no floatyness since!   s:) :) s:)

You're right, its unbelievable that a couple of psi can make so much difference.
[size=85]Charlie
2001... with added
TTET. [/i]
My fuel consumption.[/size]

Tags: