Winter Driving & the MR2 roadster

Started by ad_car_08, October 14, 2008, 22:41

ad_car_08

Hi,

Well I'll soon be experiencing my first Winter with my '2 roadster, and quite frankly, I can't wait!!

I was wondering if any members out there had any tips to help get through the Winter months?
Is there any part of maintaining your '2 that gets stepped up through the colder period? Any tips you can pass on?

Is driving your '2 any different during the Winter?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

markiii

the abs can be site in teh snow, take it easy
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

northernalex

Just take it easy.. when youre going around corners dont push your foot too hard on the accelerator, it can cause the car to spin out... Wait until you're completely straight before planting the accelerator..
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

evileye_wrx

As the old saying goes, DRIVE LIKE A GRANNY!!

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

ad_car_08

This morning, on route to work, I experienced first hand how skittish the back end can get when driving round a corner which had standing water.....I only pressed the accelerator slightly to start pulling away and the arse end slid out a couple of feet! Granted I didn't have to grab some opposite lock, but it took me by surprise! Couldn't believe how easy it was to do...   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I'm growing to think that this Winter is going to be a slow and steady one. One wrong move and the '2 might bite hard and kick me in the nuts!!

Is there anything that you guys step up, maintenance wise, during the Winter/colder period??
[/size]

markiii

what tyres are you running?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

I'm sorry, but I'm going to give a different advice. Find a parking lot or another safe and don't take it easy. Throw the car around to get an idea what happens and when. The nose is light and the weight is on the back, which makes it quite different from most, but once you get it, it also it so much more enjoyable than most.  s8) 8) s8)

(oh yeah, and take it easy on traffic)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Innocent

Quote from: "Tem"Throw the car around to get an idea what happens and when.

+1 to that! Much better to get some experience in a controlled environment than to hang the arse out into oncoming traffic.

Was on track at the start of the year in the snow! The MR2 was suprisingly good at handling it. The mid engine ment there was loads of fun oversteer rather than sloppy understeer and the relatively low power meant it was controllable and really fun.

StuM

Quote from: "Tem"Find a parking lot or another safe and don't take it easy....

I've wanted to do this for a while.  Don't want to find the limit on the public roads.  Any recommendations for such a carpark in the Surrey area much appreciated!
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

loadswine

If you find one Stu, let me know and I'll come along too.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

Dont let other Stu come with you he already has an ABSO, on a serious note do remember it can be construed as anti social behaviour and you could get a Sect 59 warning against you, two strikes and the car gets taken.

As far as winter driving goes, take it easy, don't put the power down until you are on the straight again after a roundabout.  As Phil says, drive like a granny!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

enid_b

Quote from: "Liz"Dont let other Stu come with you he already has an ABSO, on a serious note do remember it can be construed as anti social behaviour and you could get a Sect 59 warning against you, two strikes and the car gets taken.

As far as winter driving goes, take it easy, don't put the power down until you are on the straight again after a roundabout.  As Phil says, drive like a granny!

booo - ministry of fun spoils it again.  dont they have anything better to do liz, like catch real bad guys?

whats the world coming too.

i echo tem's thoughts.  any one got a big carpark or drive that they own and will donate to the club for a day??

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Get yourself four winter tires...as narrower as you can...take ABS fuse out...and enjoy...as much as you can...drive it like you stole it  s:) :) s:)

dont have any video with mr2 but still few from AE86...

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DTAWyrAw_g m

m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9txPi9hEn-w m

loadswine

Quote from: "Liz"Dont let other Stu come with you he already has an ABSO, on a serious note do remember it can be construed as anti social behaviour and you could get a Sect 59 warning against you, two strikes and the car gets taken.

I had somewhere in mind that we might get permission really Liz. I certainly don't want to get involved in anything that might get a person an ASBO. Don't want to be like naughty Stu!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The idea of taking the ABS fuse out on public roads sounds foolish to me and will probably cause insurance issues.
Okay in controlled conditions on an airfield or the like fair enough, which is probably what was intended.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"The idea of taking the ABS fuse out on public roads sounds foolish to me and will probably cause insurance issues.
Okay in controlled conditions on an airfield or the like fair enough, which is probably what was intended.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

For me it is much easyer to drive on snow without ABS and stoping distance is shorter...you must be able to lock front wheels so that you can do faint before corner (we are talking about snow, not dry winter roads)  s:) :) s:)

StuM

Yep, it's a shame really that there aren't places to go and do this that don't cost a fortune - I know you can go to skid pans, airfields, tracks etc, but all this costs decent amounts of money.  

It is a sad fact that the first time for example that most drivers get to do an emergency brake after their test is.. in an emergency, maybe years later.  Or, the first time most people find the limit of their cars - either due to pushing on too hard or lack of awareness of changing conditions - is likely to be on a public road putting others at risk.

I know private car parks etc are not the place for this - if I wanted to do that I know our local Sainsburys of a Friday evening is full of idiots showing off their cars and driving 'prowess'.  What I was more interested in was the existence of a suitable empty area of unused tarmac/concrete where, with the consent of the landowner, one could learn about limits in a relatively safe environment.  It probably doesn't exist.. if it does, I'll let you know Nigel.   s:) :) s:)
Stu M

Innocent

Quote from: "Liz"on a serious note do remember it can be construed as anti social behaviour and you could get a Sect 59 warning against you, two strikes and the car gets taken.

True Liz, true. Sensible hat back on! One thing i can definately suggest is to get an afternoon on a skid-pan. Its amazingly beneficial experience for car handling, its cheap, and you can get proper instruction.

Wabbitkilla

I remember (a long time ago) some police forces offered driving experiences in controlled environments.

At least Durham and Northumbria did it at one time in their training areas.
I wonder if any would be interested in doing something like it again?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Silverman

OK.   Tem will advise.  But if the snow is 2ft deep or more, leave it in the garage.  S'man.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Chris_h

Was meant to be quoting Lord Mighty Enid - but I cocked up - anyway........

Me too - I also find it quite fun provoking it deliberately at low speeds just to have a bit of tail wagging in a controlled manner. Obviously at low speeds!

very very slippy today, leaves and greasy dampness (not sure why sometimes there is a grippy wet, but today it was orrible and slippy even where there were no leaves) - I enjoy the challenge of driving in  graceful manner, feeding in the power, using lots of road (where sensible of course) to minimise cornering load etc etc -

What fun! - its when you're not concentrating however that it bites...   s:( :( s:(
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

ad_car_08

Quote from: "markiii"what tyres are you running?

some firestone jobbys all round. They came with the car I hasten to add....apparently Toyo's are the way forward??

I quite agree with trying to find how the car behaves in a safe manner off road - shame the local bad boy yardies have ruined it for the rest of us with their burnouts and hand brake turns!!  s:( :( s:(
[/size]

ChrisGB

Car Limits handling days are excellent for this sort of thing and if you can book for the winter months (or June July and August this year it would seem  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), there is a good chance of getting a wet airfield to play on with lots of run off area. Usually around £30 per head.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Any particular recommendation for a mid engine venue ?

StuM

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Car Limits handling days are excellent for this sort of thing and if you can book for the winter months (or June July and August this year it would seem  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), there is a good chance of getting a wet airfield to play on with lots of run off area. Usually around £30 per head.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that sounds just the ticket.

Click Here

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Tags: