Blitz Sonic

Started by Star_69, October 21, 2008, 11:29

Star_69

I ordered a Blitz Sonic SUS air recently direct from Blitz Japan. After postage it worked out at 165quid all in, which I though is a bargain as its about 100 cheaper than anywhere in the UK, but obviously the instructions were in Japanese. Whilst its not rocket science to fit, the sealed packs of screws that came with it where short 2 nuts and 4 of the M6 screws were too big! They are used to screw the MAF tube to the main body of the filter and it just didnt fit. Had to go to Screwfix to get some washers and nuts, which really shouldnt have been needed as 2 screws were the right size and the packs were sealed!!

Its not a biggie, but when a company screws something like that up (excuse the pun!), I dont think it deserves your business. Would never buy another Blitz product again.

The reason I got a Blitz Sonic was because I liked the idea of the headshield and wanted to put it behind the battery similar to the PPE but for a 2zz (as the PPE wont fit), so I bought some piping and flexi induction tubing to do it myself. Before I did this, I put it in the standard location just to see what it sounded like.

In the standard location the heat shield is pointless. It almost touches the metal shielding by the exhaust and heats the whole metal heatshield to the point of where its hot to touch, so its counter productive. Temps in my application shot from 13 ambient to 55 in about 10mins which I sort of expected as it runs hot, but just shows how the location is bad!

Im going to switch it back to standard today as it made the car feel like a dog. I think where its an apexi ecu, it was tuned for the standard air box and unlike the normal ecu where you just reset it, the apexi is tuned accordingly. Pulling away is lumpy, cam changeover over is notchy and noticed a couple of nasty det spikes which hit the 60s under WOT, so I'm taking it off until I get it re-tuned.

On the plus side, coupled with the supercharger, it sounds like a jet bike from Return of the Jedi   s:D :D s:D  

If you're reading this as you've searched for 'Blitz Sonic', dont buy one, as its not that special, overpriced and not well built.
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

Tags: