'03 Headlights

Started by Anonymous, January 23, 2004, 12:46

Anonymous

Does anyone know if it its possible to directly swap old style '02 headlights for the '03 version, I was wondering if the connectors and wiring are identical.

If they are interchangeable, or compatible - has anyone seen this mod?

Anonymous

Yes and No. they fit and can be made to work, but the wiring is not the same. There is a guy in Singapore that has done it and no doubt elsewhere. I think this has been discussed here before as well.

I am moving this to the Electrical area, as its better suited there.

Tem

The older model has hi&lo beams in same bulb (and connector), new one has different bulbs for hi&lo beams, so you need to splice the wires to 2 connectors.

No big deal if you can handle electronics.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Dayl"Does anyone know if it its possible to directly swap old style '02 headlights for the '03 version, I was wondering if the connectors and wiring are identical.

If they are interchangeable, or compatible - has anyone seen this mod?

There is an additonal section to the wiring loom on the '03 which plugs into the existing loom - I believe this has been discussed on SC previously.

I'll take a look at my car later to see if there are any part numbers on the extra bits

SteveJ

Just looked at my current car, and the wiring for the headlights is integrated into the loom - on my previous '03 there was a seperate section, so I guess it must have been a kludge fix whilst the loom was re-designed.

Take a trawl through SC - I'm sure a number of their members have fitted the '03 lights to pre-facelift cars.

markiii

that bit of wire must have a prt number though?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"that bit of wire must have a prt number though?

Nope - it's part of the entire loom - there is no connector in it at all  s:( :( s:(

markiii

meant the bit on your old car.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Just rewire it yourself, it can't be hard, only problem could be getting hold of the connectors
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Just rewire it yourself, it can't be hard, only problem could be getting hold of the connectors

Like I said above, it's not hard at all.

You can get general connectors from any car parts store, they aren't labeled Toyota, but should work just as well.

You can find instructions on SC as well, if you don't feel comfortable doing this without any help. Then again, I think one shouldn't do this at all, if they need detailed instructions  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  It really is an easy job.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies

Have scoured SC, and I have found more info.

Tags: