Lowering Springs

Started by WillsSayers, November 1, 2008, 10:13

WillsSayers

Hi all,

The shop I was buying my TRD Stage 1 kit from has left me down so I'm left with about £400 to spend. I already have the Euro Kit sat in my dining room, so I think I'll get that repaired and fitted (cracked the front on a bunny) instead.

I've had a quick look on eBay for some springs, and managed to find some Apex lowering spings. They're said to drop the car by 30mm, but does anyone know what the quality of them is like? Are any springs as good as the next, or are the Apex ones cheap and nasty and going to turn my car in to a ticking time bomb?!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

evileye_wrx

I don't know that there's much difference if it's just the springs, cept for ride height. Most seem to go for TTE, which are made by Eibach, or Teins, if just going for springs. Coilovers on the other hand that's a totally different matter

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

northernalex

Go onto the camskill website and email them to see what the best deal on some teins dress up master springs are. in a recent group buy they charged us 99.99 with 9.99 postage.. See if they can still do them for that price..

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

fstsven

Mine has been on Apex springs since day one and I can't fault them. They are progressive, which means that ride quality over small bumps is actually better than stock, and yet you get less bodyroll and better control over bigger bumps. I'm very pleased with them, but to be honest, I doubt that there would be a huge difference between springs from any well-known manufacturer.
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

markiii

take a look at teh whiteline they aren'r expensive and are very good
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

That's great guys, I'll chase that up in the morning when I'm not so brain dead  s:) :) s:)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

ad_car_08

Are you actually able to fit the springs on standard shockers??

Back in the old days when I was into "barrying" fiestas/corsas/novas   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  (shameful I know), I was always told on the local "krooz" forums that fitting springs which quoted even 30/40mm drops onto standard shockers is bad news. Standard shocks aren't made for smaller/shorter springs, so when going over bumps, your more likely to bottom out your shocks or pound the sh1t outta your bump stops??

Is this true or complete "barry" tosh?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Great news if it is possible to just swap the standard springs for aftermarket lowered ones
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

markiii

you will reduce teh shock life, but one of teh reasons TTE are so popular is that they are designed for use with teh stock shocks
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

Quote from: "markiii"you will reduce the shock life, but one of the reasons TTE are so popular is that they are designed for use with the stock shocks

Ah! Thanks markiii!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

WillsSayers

Right-e-o, I've found these springs:
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 2419p11460 m

Are they worth the plunge? Getting quite twitchy as I've not purchased owt for my car for a while!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Kool PT

what's the mileage wills? i changed mine to tein stech last month and have been fairly disappointed with the results - mostl likely cause is my shocks being a bit over the hill. if you've got 400 quid already it might be worth holding out and getting coilovers, cheaper to fit than springs too i believe. my fitting cost alone came to 300 f*cking quid...that's just a local rip off garage for ya though.
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Kool PT"and have been fairly disappointed with the results

Haven't you said that about virtually every modification you've done?

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Kool PT

haha, no. i sometimes expect more from my mods though. the springs make it look great and help stop roll a little bit but the ride quality has been compromised. people often say that coilovers are the best thing you can do for improving your car's handling, but the ride comfort suffers...i just feel like i'm getting a bit of a raw deal on both sides   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

for the record, i loved the PPE cai and trd quick shifter from the minute i installed them. the front bracing grew on me and took a spirited country drive to appreciate - i kind of had the impression that i'd feel the difference driving around town after people saying "i felt the difference of the breastplate the minute my car left the drive"...unless my car is radically different to everyone else's, i call BS. at slower speeds some of the bracing helped eliminate rattles, but most of the handling/ride quality improvements only manifested themselves at 60mph on a twisty road. back on topic though...my recommendation still stands.

WillsSayers

Quote from: "Kool PT"what's the mileage wills?
Mileage is sat at 75k at the moment.

Quote from: "Kool PT"my fitting cost alone came to 300 f*cking quid...that's just a local rip off garage for you though.
I hope he offered you a reach around for that as well! Our local indy has fitted springs to my bro's Fiesta ST for £60 before, so I'd be surprised if he charged me much more. Besides, I'm sure he likes me more...

Quote from: "Kool PT"i changed mine to tein stech last month and have been fairly disappointed with the results
Any one else got an opinion on the Teins? These caught my eye as I'm sure I've seen quite a lot of people here using them.

Wabbitkilla

I had them, they're great - but my shocks were pretty new when they went on and the handling result was great.

I don't know whether i outgrew them, or the shocks began to give out (the latter i suspect) but the suspension began to give me concern getting towards 50k miles. I suppose it depends how demanding you are / have been of the car.

It's pretty much a gamble at the mileage you're talking about, but your shocks will be a bit tired.

The alternaites are to replace your shocks at the same time or go with some better quality shocks and either the tein springs or something else.

TBH i was very happy with the result of fitting the Tein s-techs, they were a natural stage between standard and full coilove setup.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

WillsSayers

What sort of price can I look at for some new/uprated shocks then? Can anyone point me in the right direction?  s:) :) s:)

Kool PT

ok that's maybe a fair comment then... i may just get my shocks changed out at the same time. at 75k i would maybe just get them replaced too. check out this link, it's by far the cheapest i've seen.

m http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 2418p11517 m

if you're planning on keeping the 2 for a long time it's worth getting them done anyway.

WillsSayers

That's great PT, I'll get some stuff ordered tonight then. Pushes me a bit over budget to get the Che manifold as well, but it'll be reet.

Will deffo be keeping hold of the '2 for a while yet as it has certain sentimental meanings as well, so won't be a bad thing to get them replaced!

Kool PT

think i'll just get my shocks replaced at 100k and do the bushings too. have you read up on the anti roll bar drop link situation?

WillsSayers

I can't say I have - have you got a link?  s:) :) s:)

Kool PT

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22114&hilit=bushings l

basically the stock ones are crap and are often seize up when trying to undo them, 2srus do better made replacements with new PU bushes, my set of 4 was about 120 quid inc delivery & customs

WillsSayers

Right OK then do I need these 2srus bushes? Paying £120 for the springs and £240 for the shockers is soon mounting up as it is! An extra ~£100 for the 2srus is really pushing, but if it's necessary, then there's no point in not getting them!

[Edit]Baring in mind I won't be doing the work myself as I'm mechanically inept. It'll be going to the local garage![/Edit]

markiii

if they have to cut teh old ones off and replace the labour will be more than that

WillsSayers

I may drop the car off and see if he can get the existing bushes off before hand then, although I'm not overly optimistic judging by all the doom and gloom surrounding this. Just seems a tad extreme paying over £400 to have the car dropped by 30mm - certainly the first case of this I've heard!

markiii

the front ones they won;t need to touch, but I'm betting teh rears have rusted teh allen key holes to nothing

Tags: