Magic Words for warranty claims?

Started by dancarbon, June 20, 2003, 08:37

dancarbon

Being one of the many to suffer rusty brake discs and rough-looking calipers, I recently found a great many bubbles on the alloys as well!

Needless to say I have to go and tackle a warranty claim with Mr.T, are there any magic turns of phrase to use that will stop any counter-claim of mis-use or wear and tear?

I've never made a warranty claim before, and maybe I'm doing the dealers a mis-justice, but I just expect them to try and find a way to wriggle out of it.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Darth Paul

Mention that you're in touch with other MR2 owners on MR2-ROC who have also had this problem and have had it fixed under warranty. So you KNOW it's a common problem.

DP

Anonymous

" err Just Like that"

Quote Mr T Copper   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Threaten to have a tantrum in the middle of the showroom when it's full of potential customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are loads of threads on this subject in the forum. Instead of going out driving in the sunshine this week-end you could always spend your time reading them all!

s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Mr T has just agreed to replace all 4 wheels, 4 disks (already replaced front 2 under warranty at 20k service, without me asking!) & to paint the calipers red.  I just asked nicely  s:D :D s:D  

I am going to get the lowering springs and zorst at the same time  s8) 8) s8)

dancarbon

Breville, you are an inspiration   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

If I get time I'm going to pop in tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say - I do have 30K service due soon and a dual TTE exhaust (if I can persuade the missus we need to replace a perfectly good exhaust) so that's a couple of carrots that another dealer could enjoy if they are being a bit tight.

dancarbon

Am I right in thinking that the 03 2 has larger rear wheels than previous models?

Would it be advisable for me to try and persuade MrT to fit 03 size wheels if they are going to replace rather than repair the alloys?

Anonymous

You are right - the 03 has 16's at the rear... not sure how this setup will affect a pre 03 car though....?

Liz

I tried for the 16" alloys at the back when Mr T replaced my wheels - but the man from Mr T say no, I even offered to buy the new tyres for them and get them up there but they wouldn't have it!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I also enquired about the bigger rims, again they said no.  I am not sure if the 2000 - 2002 MR2 would be ok on 16" rears as they tweeked the suspension (to what extent I can not remember).

dancarbon

Well, I'm getting 4 new tyres and front discs.

I didn't try for the 03 size, sounds like I wouldn't have got them if I asked.

I'm a bit annoyed that they won't replace the rear discs as the corrosion is only on the disc between where the pad grips and the hub and not on the hub, unlike the fronts which have corroded on the hub. They weren't interested in painting the calipers at all, might try again when I take it in (apparently rear wheels are on 2-3 week back-order).

Thanks for your help guys.

DC

Anonymous

That explains why I am still waiting!

dancarbon

On further inspection the corrosion is moving onto the hub on one back wheel so I shall have to make my case again!

Anonymous

All. Brilliant forum.
I have been reading for the last week or so and took my '2 in to the local Mr T. Its a new franchise in Cambridge on Coldhams Lane and I have to say they were (a) brilliant and (b) a hell of a lot cheaper than Marshalls.

Anyway I suffered from blistered alloys and corroded disks - so the same as everyone else. My '2 was also an import from Belgium. No problem says Mr T can you bring in or fax your DVLA log being an import and we'll see to it.

Result: 4 new alloys, 4 new disks, 4 new pads and a 30k service costing £93   s:D :D s:D  

MR2 ROC site mentioning and just politely sayng I think this is a warranty issue and loads of owners have suffered it brought total sucess. Also means the 2 front alloys which I had scuffed - particularly drivers side quite badly are now replaced. Woo Hoo!

Now going to treat myself to '03 vents with the cash I saved not having to get the front scuffing repaired!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "ScouserDave"Also means the 2 front alloys which I had scuffed - particularly drivers side quite badly are now replaced. Woo Hoo!

Which is why I'll wait until a few months before the end of my warranty before asking for new alloys.  The light bubbling I've got I can quite happily tolerate until then.

Anonymous

I contacted Chelmsford Mr T about the disgusting looking calipers and the slight rust on the disks.  (our car is garaged and hasnt been out in the rain EVER, and only has 2000 miles on it since purchase in January).

They told me they could do the disks but not the calipers!...do I push this?

Anonymous

Good question, but I have a feeling you aren't going to get anywhere with that one Craig. MrT had no problems about the discs when I saked, but they were a little reticent to do anything with the calipers when I asked.

Have a go and let me know how you get on. Interested, cos I am out of warranty and I was quite close to the end of it when I got the discs changed. I reckon they might have been fobbing me off if you get a result.......

Keep us posted....

dancarbon

Mr T wasn't interested in even contemplating doing anything about the calipers but I have been back and pushed to get the rear discs replced which they are going to do, begrudgingly.

I'll have to get to Halfords to get something for the calipers   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

My dealer in Croydon also said they weren't interested in the calipers.  I told them that if they designed something to be seen (i.e. there are sodding big gaps in the aloys) then they should have coated the calipers.  They can not reasonably argue when they are willing to change the other parts.
My garage offered to spray them Hammerite black!!  I told them to jog off and buy some proper caliper paint from Halfords; in red!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Got the car back today & wow do the red calipers look great with new disks & wheels!    s:D :D s:D

dancarbon

Quote from: "breville"Got the car back today & wow do the red calipers look great with new disks & wheels!    s:D :D s:D

That's cool, I need to attack my calipers now but reckon I might go for Silver or Black.

I'm waiting until they get the rear hubs in stock and on the car before I do them. The garage have got one side but not the other! Good parts planning strategy that.

Anonymous

Have you tried to get Mr T to do them?

dancarbon

Yeah, they weren't interested at all.

I must say I was very dissappointed with the attitude of the warranty bloke at the dealer I went to, it wasn't bad but I would have expected some kind of "sorry, our product shouldn't be disintegrating" stance. Still, I'll be using a different dealer next time because of it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Well, after they've replaced the rear discs anyway - looks like they'll still be rusty for JAE   s:( :( s:(

Tags: