Che manifold

Started by WillsSayers, November 4, 2008, 23:42

WillsSayers

Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing one of these for a few reasons - namely a bit more response from the Go Faster Pedal (even if it's more of a placebo), and for bit of a different noise. The main reason being that I can finally get rid of my precats. Am I right in saying that the new manifold replaces the OEM manifold and the precats (are the precats in the OEM manifold? I do not know!)?

I appreciate that the Che isn't as good as the PPE header, and the PPE isn't as reputable as the Zero one, but when you consider the difference in price from bottom to top is circa £100, I'd much rather settle for the Che! Besides, I can't see me tuning the nuts of my '2 any time soon!  s:) :) s:)

Cheers!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

wbarrwebster

I'm sure someone more qualified will reference this.........just make sure you use the Mr T gaskets!
W. B. Webster

blahpony

I have a Che header. Make sure to put on the braces to the engine or it may crack. Mine has been in for a year and a half and still works great.

+1 on using the Toyota gaskets.

Wabbitkilla

Yes it's a fully tubular job which replaces the stock manifold/header.
The precats sit in chambers within the oem manifold so therefore they come off with the oem manifold, when you see it off it'll be obvious to you where they are.

It is hugely important that the lower engine to header braces are installed on the new header. It's nothing frightening you're just mounting it the same as the oem item.

You have a choice whether to put the heatshields on it from the oem header.

If you do, the it looks in the engine bay as if nothing has changed afterwards and the heat is kept in  the exhaust. But you will most likely need new bolts to put them on.
If you don't then you can see the header every time you pop the hood. They start off shiny but don't stay that way unless you're prepared to put a lot of work and polish in. But you can get a lot of heat coming off it, it's not a huge problem if you're not bothered by it.

I put mine on as a stopgap well over a year ago (can't remember tbh) but it's still in there doing a very good job thankyou very much   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

WillsSayers

Regarding using Toyota gaskets: I assume that means putting the new Che header in and not replacinging anything else; ie Toyota gaskets are already in place? As you can guess, I won't be doing the work myself, but I like to give my wrench monkey as much info as I can  s:) :) s:)

Lower engine braces: Again, assuming these would have been attached to the OEM header, so just a straight forward off/on job, yes?

For those with the Che header: Is there a difference in sound? Or too small to notice? Does it feel any different when driving?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

spit

You may get away with re-using the block-manifold gasket. I wouldn't, but you can.

The ring gaskets at the Cat end must be renewed with MrT replacements. they are single use crush gaskets.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ekimq

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Regarding using Toyota gaskets: I assume that means putting the new Che header in and not replacinging anything else; ie Toyota gaskets are already in place? As you can guess, I won't be doing the work myself, but I like to give my wrench monkey as much info as I can  s:) :) s:)

Lower engine braces: Again, assuming these would have been attached to the OEM header, so just a straight forward off/on job, yes?

For those with the Che header: Is there a difference in sound? Or too small to notice? Does it feel any different when driving?

Wills,

I replaced the main gasket where the manifold joins to the engine block; and the crush gaskets where the manifold joins to the cat. All the nuts and bolts are a 1-to-1 swap with what is already there.

Regarding the end result: It's definately a deeper sound, not as deep as changing the backbox and not much louder than standard. My car didn't feel any different to drive until I fitted the Markiii inlet pipe as well, which allowed the engine to breathe above 4K rpm.
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

Anonymous

Ive just got a manifold on ebay and its in the UK so fast delivery. I havnt fitted it yet because im waiting on my janspeed to come but it looks exactly the same as che and the quality is good. Here is the link:  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-MRS-NO ... 240%3A1318 m

WillsSayers

Right OK so I need to buy the following then:
Manifold (duh!)
Toyota Gaskets

Regarding gaskets, how many do I need? And does anyone have the part numbers handy so I can get them ordered at my (largely useless) local Mr T?

Ekimq, I'm guessing I won't notice much of a difference then; I already have a TTE dual exhaust and Apexi induction kit!  s:) :) s:)

spit

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Regarding gaskets, how many do I need? And does anyone have the part numbers handy so I can get them ordered at my (largely useless) local Mr T?

Try ..... 'Precat removal - how i did it' .... page 2

Save you a trip, why not use our affiliate Chris @ cheaptoyotaparts ?

Or if you buy from Che I believe he only ships with the gen gaskets now. Avoid imitation gaskets - they're naff.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Ordered my Che header on Tuesday 30th October and it arrived Friday 3rd November.

It comes with genuine Toyota manifold gasket + 2 x Crush gaskets + 3 x lower flange studs with nuts and 5 x new manifold nuts  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Les

WillsSayers

Quote from: "Les"Ordered my Che header on Tuesday 30th October and it arrived Friday 3rd November.

It comes with genuine Toyota manifold gasket + 2 x Crush gaskets + 3 x lower flange studs with nuts and 5 x new manifold nuts  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/SLAPA/LA%20SLAPA/WeekengbreakNovember2008072.jpg[img]

Les

Ah-ha, so I won't need to order the other parts seperately? I will need to get some new bolts for the heatshield as the current ones are rusted to high hell. Will hopefully get a nice lick of paint on there too, although not sure whether or not to find a high temperature yellow or black colour!  s:) :) s:)

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Will hopefully get a nice lick of paint on there too, although not sure whether or not to find a high temperature yellow or black colour!  s:) :) s:)

Yellow AND Black stripes   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

WillsSayers

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "WillsSayers"Will hopefully get a nice lick of paint on there too, although not sure whether or not to find a high temperature yellow or black colour!  s:) :) s:)

Yellow AND Black stripes   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil

lol, I don't think I could handle the extra 63bhp the stripe would give me! After all, everyone knows that Go Faster stripes in the engine compartment are far more effective than the aero dynamic equivelent!

It's mainly just to stop it looking like a rusty piece of tat ;D

Anonymous

I got this one from ebay clicky from the USA but ordered it on the Thursday ans was with me on the Monday. Very similar to the one in the UK and complete with all gaskets, nuts and bolts. The one in the UK has a small plate welder to the top was not sure what it was for so put me off.

Cheers

Bob (sorry i dont know how to shorten the link to read "Clicky")

[MOD=roger] fixed it - go to Edit and see how its done.

WillsSayers

Hmm, is there a difference between the one made by Che and that one? £150 seems quite cheap in comparrison!

WillsSayers

Obviously I'm assuming I should replace the gasket with a Mr. T one  s:) :) s:)

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Hmm, is there a difference between the one made by Che and that one? £150 seems quite cheap in comparrison!

No, all of these cheap US 'Che' manifolds are knock off's of the TRD Manifold that costs around £600. They are all made in the same  knock off producing factory in China. I think I paid £450 ish for manifold, downpipe and catback all from Che a while back

Phil
Phil

Anonymous

Yes you will probably need a set of heat shield bolts, mine are well rusty   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Les

northernalex

Quote from: "spit"You may get away with re-using the block-manifold gasket. I wouldn't, but you can.

The ring gaskets at the Cat end must be renewed with MrT replacements. they are single use crush gaskets.

Ooops. I reused mine 3 times and passed 2 mot's  s:) :) s:)   Put new ones on the most recent time I changed my downpipe
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

markiii

you got really lucky mate

every one I ever tried to shortcut leaked
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

LordTakuban

FYI for those considering a new header to remove the pre-cats...

The performance of the che (or other TRD replica's) and a gutted stock header are the same.  The stock header weighs a little more, but it has a deeper (IMO better) tone.  And there is more engine compartment heat with the che header.  No matter what, I would use new Toyota gaskets when putting the replacement header on.  I think Che is selling his headers with genuine Toyota gaskets now and has been for a while.

Oh, and make sure ALL the bracing goes back on or it WILL crack.  And, even if you do have all the bracing on, it still might crack.  Check my threads on spyderchat to see why I know that.   s;) ;) s;)

Anyway, I figured I'd try to contribute something useful over here while I'm visiting.
LordTakuban.
http://www.mr2ner.com

northernalex

Quote from: "markiii"you got really lucky mate

Maybe.. or maybe the MOT testers just missed it?  I certainly couldnt feel a leak.. although I didnt try the rag in the end of the exhaust thingy.. (not to stop the flow but to see if there's a leak).
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

WillsSayers

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "markiii"you got really lucky mate

Maybe.. or maybe the MOT testers just missed it?  I certainly couldnt feel a leak.. although I didnt try the rag in the end of the exhaust thingy.. (not to stop the flow but to see if there's a leak).

That's something I keep meaning to ask actually - does having a CHE Manifold installed affect the chance of the '2 passing its MOT? As surely the pre-cat is serving a perpose when it comes to emissions testing?

evileye_wrx

No, the pre-cats are there for the more stringent testing of the Eco-Nazi's in California or other parts of the US more than anywhere else in the world. Never heard of a '2 failing MOT for being de-pre-catted

Phil
Phil

Tags: