6x9's.....At last!

Started by Anonymous, November 5, 2008, 19:04

Anonymous

Well its been a while, about 15 months to be precise since I bought my MR2 and throughout this time the one main area I personally felt was lacking is the stereo and sound set up. I bought myself an Alpine head unit and an upgraded set of front speakers and although this helped I never felt it provided the depth of sound and levels of volume I wanted.........

.......so finally, about an hour ago I finished installing some 6x9's into the rear compartments!

I know this is an area of debate but for what I wanted 6x9's gave the perfect compromise. I had considered subs but decided against one in the end, at least for the time being  s;) ;) s;)

The one problem for me was how I was going to go about fitting them. There wasn't much on here to help (either that or I'm terrible at searching) so it was a suck it see exercise.

The first result came with a mate passing on his unwanted JVC 6x9's to me for £10......  s:D :D s:D  
I then decided it best to mount them on an MDF shelf which I would use to replace the plastic doors. I used them as a template and cut out the shape from 12mm board. I then attached a slightly smaller board to make the shelf double thickness for strength, cut the 6x9 holes and covered at all in acoustic carpet.
I then purchased an Alpine amp (the MRP-T222) mine for £69.99 and an amp wiring kit, another £25.
I then ran all the wires by following the very helpful instructions the ROC have posted which turned out to be a awful lot easier than expected!  s:) :) s:)  

As far as attaching the shelf I decided to keep it hinged so purchased 6 hinges to utilise the holes already on the car from the compartment doors and screwed them in. This enables me to still use the storage compartment. Granted, this space will not be as useful as before but it means I can at least hide stuff away if I ever need to. If i'm honest, I find I rarely use them anyway.

So there you go, all in and sounding superb!! Best of all is the fact that the total cost was about £150.00!! Happy days.   s:D :D s:D  

I've taken a few piccies so once I've pulled my finger out and worked out how to post them I'll put them up.

dubs

good times  s:D :D s:D
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

ad_car_08

Hurry up and pull that finger out!! We want to see the pictures!!   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

dubs

s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  c'mon Jon when are you going to get the   s:arrow: :arrow: s:arrow:  piccies up?  s:D :D s:D    s:) :) s:)    s:( :( s:(    s:o :o s:o    s:? :? s:?    s8) 8) s8)  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
MR2 ROADSTER - RED - HARDTOP - BLACK LEATHER - TTE TURBO - TTE SPRINGS - TTE EXHAUST - MARKiii PIPE - TOYOTA GB BODYKIT - TOYOTA GB LIP SPOILER- DEV\'S KEYHOLES - KENWOOD DDX 6029 - IN PHASE COMPONENTS - KENWOOD BLUETOOTH - KENWOOD iPOD INTERFACE - ALPINE SWD 1600 ACTIVE SUB - 17" SP12 ALLOYS

Anonymous

Excellent. Would also like to see some pics.

I have sold my little corsa now and have kept the parcel shelf which had infinity 6x9's on. Im thinking about making 2 small boxes a little bigger then the speakers and using them behind the seats. I would not touch the original doors at all. This would also allow me to remove them if i needed to.

P.s. where is this ROC guide about where to lay the wires ?

Thanks,
Ryan

EDIT: What type/size of speaker cable did you use? I can get hold of 1.5mm stranded copper cable (normally used for house lighting). Would that do? Im not after top notch performance, just someting that would work ok.

Tags: