[GI] Robbins replacement soft tops for sale, £500 inc VAT

Started by Kool PT, November 8, 2008, 18:43

Kool PT

Hi all,

Just for the benefit of others who haven't been following my shattered rear window thread, there seemed to be reasonable interest in a replacement hood (with heated rear window) priced at £395 + VAT. I have been discussing the product with them in more detail and found out that this is the fabled Robbins brand. Just thought I would share this info, as the price was leading some folk to doubt the quality - but those on Spyderchat swear by them. They will ship to a number of fitting  centres, they suggested one in Aberdeen which they hadn't used, as well as two in Dundee and Perth which they had experience with, which was quite impressive really. You pay for shipping & fitment so need to inquire and find out what the approximate cost in total will be, but it's a damn sight cheaper than a £4500 replacement for Toyota, and in my case, cheaper than a £300 insurance excess & the loss of 2 years' no claims discount. I'll update this thread if/when I go ahead with the purchase which is looking quite likely for Jan/Feb, as well as my other thread which deals exclusively with the rear screen drama.

One final thing - I would expect a serious weight saving with one of these hoods fitted. The material samples I was sent are pretty thin, but they seem very tough and well finished. As long as it functions correctly, I'm not bothered if it's a little thinner than the stock ones, which I imagine would way a bloody ton if one were to try and pick one up in its entirety. It's basically a performance mod with the added benefit of no pneumonia   s:D :D s:D
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

Anonymous

Fitting and postage costs?

kentsmudger

Thanks for posting this. I assume this company is http://www.soft-top.co.uk from your on-going thread. They are based in Oxted, Surrey, so they might be able to find fitters in the South too! This looks like a good deal for a Robbins top, having seen some nice pics on Spyderchat, that's what I'd put on mine should I need one.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

pada1462

I don't know if you saw this on their website: http://europeantrimming.co.uk/artman2/publish/soft-top-news/Car-Hood-Group-Buys.shtml

Do you belong to a Car Club or online Car Community?  If so, you'll almost certainly be aware of what the term 'Group Buy' relates to?  In simple terms, it's where a group of potential consumers join forces to initiate a mass purchase of a product in order to negotiate the best, and cheapest price available.  European Trimming Company would love to hear from car clubs, forums and groups of enthusiasts with cars possibly requiring a replacement Car Hood now, or in the near future.

So how does this work exactly? Normally, the 'buy' is driven by you guys (the car club or forum etc.).  You get a group of willing participants together, you 'sound out' the possible supplier of this product(s) and obtain a possible purchase price if a given number of you gather together to make the one mass purchase.

ETC are making life easier - we're offering the Group Buy opportunity...all you need to do is gather as many friends and fellow enthusiasts together as possible and delegate one of your number to act as our point of contact.  In return, ETC can offer discounts of up to 15% on replacement soft tops, plus FREE delivery and an aftermarket technical back up service via telephone AND assistance sourcing a local hood trimmer/fitter for you...no matter where in the UK you live.

As one of the UK's largest suppliers of car hoods, we are able to supply replacement car hoods for most makes of vehicle. We can even offer a choice of colours, fabrics, and other options (i.e. 'original specification/pigment', 'after market' etc.) There is sometimes a small wait whilst we ask our manufacturers to mass produce a particular car hood.

By purchasing from the actual hood manufacturers in bulk and in one go, ETC can not only save on transportation costs, but also negotiate greater discounts ourselves.  If you'd like to talk to one of helpful sales team about a Car Hood Group Buy, please call us on 01883 718530 or email us.
Paul

\'54 Black Roadster with Hardtop +AC

Kool PT

hi paul,

didn't think of that. and at this reasonably low cost, i'm sure there will be a few people with minor tears etc that might be up for replacing the soft top. are you interested in buying one?

pada1462

Fortunately My roof is in good knick, but can't resist browsing and thought it might be useful to others having spotted it, but thanks for asking.

Paul
Paul

\'54 Black Roadster with Hardtop +AC

Kool PT

spoke to ETC today who suggested 10+ hours fitting time so around £400 +vat for fitting alone? I'm sure I saw a guide on Spyderchat for DIY... how hard can it be?

Kool PT

Oh and the exhange rate has forced their prices up - now £500.25 inc vat   s:( :( s:(

Ilogik

If you need a softtop why not contact a breakers mate? must be mucho cheaper.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Kool PT

local scrappie quoted £950

i've agreed to buy a forum member's brand new toyota top for £350 though so I'm hopefully out of this deal.

evileye_wrx

So you don't think the weight saving performance mod selling point is worth the additional £150 for the 'fabled' Robbins soft top that SC'ers swear by?

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Kool PT

No, I would prefer to have an official item that was quoted to me at around £4500 by my local Toyota dealer for £350 - only a moron wouldn't.

The Robbins top has plenty of satisfied write-ups on SC, what's your point? Or are you just flexing your internet tough-guy muscles again? Note that I put a smiley in my original post about weight loss, but feel free to request some fabric samples from ETC so that you can compare the weight of both materials if you simply don't believe me.

evileye_wrx

Just asking, no need to get your knickers in a knot.

When someone advocates an item as the best thing since sliced bread and states its better than stock then does a complete u-turn on it and goes for a stock item, that seems odd.

If you'd admitted it was cheaper and you didn't want to spend as much that's all well and good, but you told others it was better then didn't stick to what you'd said.

Don't accuse me of internet tough guy acts or whatever, it's boring. I was interested in this group buy because I have a split in my soft top. When the OP decides he is dropping out it smells a bit funny wouldn't you say? Is it a guilty conscience that's made you react so defensively?

So now because, in the past, I have been outspoken I am to be labeled as 'internet tough guy'? Did you come up with that all on your own, or did you have a little help?  I never insulted you and you start calling me names and trying to undermine my position. Is that because you feel badly done to by me? Maybe you should have put your money where your mouth is and bought the item you said was much better than stock instead of pulling out when something cheaper came along. After all it doesn't seem to me like such a huge increase for the improved performance that you were so recently advocating.
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

SimonC_Here

[mod]Right before this gets too much more personal, I'm asking for it to get back on track. Any more personal posts and I'll lock it.[/mod]

I for one would have liked to have to oppertunity to see how the Robbins stood up to the English weather.
Anyone else going for one?

Simon

Tags: