Spark Plug Help

Started by Anonymous, November 10, 2008, 13:42

Anonymous

Hi All.

Its my second post so take it easy, lol.

Im looking to change the spark plus in my Mk3 1.8 Roadster and was wondering if anyone knew of any good spark plugs. I was in Halfords over the weekend and they have NGK and Bosch there but they are well pricey. I hear the Iridium ones are good but thought id ask on here first as you guys will know more than the little 12 year old serving behind the Halfords counter.

Cheers
Deano

Wabbitkilla

I always plum for NGK.
You get what you pay for - NGK have a well deserved rep.
Bosch are good, but not as good imho.

As for iridium, they're hard and last well - but may only really be of definitive use if you're going in for more engine tuning.

Check prices online, sometimes good deals to be made direct from the importer/manufacturer.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

roger

Stick spark plug or spark plugs into search and you'll see a lot of different  views. I reckon NGK ordinary are the way to go, but have never had irridium or anything else TBH.

I checked out Halfords the other day and they didn't do the BKR5EYA-11. They did BKR5E-11 but no idea if the difference makes a difference.  s:?: :?: s:?:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Wabbitkilla

Link to the NGK part code breakdown: linky

EYA is a special design, may not be required for the 2.

These are the NGK plugs listed for the MR2 roadster, depending on performance needs;

2003 TOYOTA MR2 SPYDER  1.8 L4 1ZZ-FE FI

Spark Plug                   Part No.
Standard.................BKR5ES-11
V-Power..................BKR5EY-11
G-Power.................BKR5EGP
Laser Platinum..........BKR5EP-11
OE Laser Iridium........IFR5T11
Iridium IX................BKR5EIX-11

Some people like Greddy actually take the NGK plugs and stamp them with their own name too, I'm currently using the Iridium IX plugs it seems.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

roger

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Link to the NGK part code breakdown: linky

EYA is a special design, may not be required for the 2.

These are the NGK plugs listed for the MR2 roadster, depending on performance needs;

2003 TOYOTA MR2 SPYDER  1.8 L4 1ZZ-FE FI

Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Photo
Standard.................BKR5ES-11
V-Power..................BKR5EY-11
G-Power.................BKR5EGP
Laser Platinum..........BKR5EP-11
OE Laser Iridium........IFR5T11
Iridium IX................BKR5EIX-11

Some people like Greddy actually take the NGK plugs and stamp them with their own name too, I'm currently using the Iridium IX plugs it seems.

The EYA-11 is what I had in my car from new and is the code shown by Halfords for the NGK Mr2. Just looked at BGB  pre03 they say IFR5A-11?? Didn't know iridium were standard, but that is for USA market.
Roger

Wabbitkilla

Well i did that search on a 2003 MR2.
Different years may have different plugs - but why should they?

Anyway, if the OP wants to do a search, Go here and play

roger

I did a little play - yes different years are different 2000 BKR5E-11 for example. Maybe they are saying as long you have that, you can add anything after it for "better" spec.
Roger

markiii

I'll say it again Iridiums have NO performance benefit, they just allow longer service interval
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Yes Mark, it may just be the fact that as they're a harder conductor the gap doesn't fluctuate as much over the life of the plug. Nowadays people don't keep an eye on the gap and adjust as necesary so that's a good thing.

So I'd say if you want to stick with them, then go for the standard OEM spec item.
If you want to have a longer service cycle wrt plugs then plumb for one of the more expensive versions.

All NGK's are good plugs, so you can't really go wrong with any of them - withi9n the list for the car in question  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

normanh

Little tip don't buy them from Halfrauds it will cost you a packet, use on the the major independent motor trade spares set ups like Partco etc, otherwise you will be robbed blind. I paid less than half of what Halfrauds wanted even got NGK's which my local branch never even had in stock I had wanted them.

normanh

ad_car_08

Hi, ive just bought some NGK sparks off the internet. I was careful to make sure they were specifically for the MR2 roadster 1ZZ-FE engine.
They arrived this morning, and I was wondering if I can just fit them or whether I had to adjust the gaps between the conductors? Does anyone know what the gap measurement is meant to be??
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ad_car_08"Hi, ive just bought some NGK sparks off the internet. I was careful to make sure they were specifically for the MR2 roadster 1ZZ-FE engine.
They arrived this morning, and I was wondering if I can just fit them or whether I had to adjust the gaps between the conductors? Does anyone know what the gap measurement is meant to be??

The information I have is that the gap should be 1.33mm (.051") for the Denso Iridium SK16R11 or 1.05mm (0.041") for the BKR5E-11 NGK Copper.

From what I can gather the power differences are not detectable between the two types, but the Iridium will stay in tolerance longer.

Alternatives to these may be the Denso IK16, a wide heat range Iridium point plug which may suit the car better if some tuning is going to take place, or the VK16 which is a long service life plug, probably best if you want to fit and forget, as it should last around 60,000 miles. EDIT: Both these should be supplied pre gapped.

The IK16 has a grooved electrode and is supposed to be optimised for power. I am having a set of these in next time I am servicing.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

ad_car_08

HI Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me.
I decided to bite the bullet and just fit the sparks this morning - replaced the ones in there with NGK BKR5EYA-11 and double checked gaps with the ones that came out. I know not drastically accurate, but they didnt look any different so I buttoned them up and car seems fine (touch wood).

The ones I popped in had the grooved electrode you mentioned - not sure if thats a good or a bad thing?!   s:| :| s:|
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

normanh

I paid about £7 for my last set of standard NGK's at the local motor factors why pay more or why upgrade these are good for 40K miles?

normanh

ChrisGB

Quote from: "normanh"I paid about £7 for my last set of standard NGK's at the local motor factors why pay more or why upgrade these are good for 40K miles?
normanh

The Iridium plugs do not erode as quickly so with the long life ones, you can just leave them in for around 60,000 miles. With standard plugs they need to be gapped at every service. No big deal either.

If you have mods to the engine, a wide heat range plug will have a better chance of giving optimum performance too.

I don't think there are any power advantages to be had, however having bad plugs can lose you some, so best to stay with recommended standard fitment or a good equivalent.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "ChrisGB"... With standard plugs they need to be gapped at every service. No big deal either....

How long do standard plugs last? Would a Toyota dealer check / change them on regular service? I only ask because I found a thread elsewhere recommending annual change-out.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

mrzwei

The Toyota service schedule says every 60,000 miles.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"... With standard plugs they need to be gapped at every service. No big deal either....

How long do standard plugs last? Would a Toyota dealer check / change them on regular service? I only ask because I found a thread elsewhere recommending annual change-out.

Personally, I would change the OEM long life plugs at 60,000 miles, earlier if they were looking worn. If these are replaced with more of the same, then another 60,000 miles. If replaced with normal life plugs, I would change on visual appearance, they normally last around 20-40,000 gapping every service. Thing with modern HT systems is that they can tolerate a big gap without losing significant engine efficiency, so regular gapping is not as critical as it was years ago. My NGK coppers were OK and did not need touching after 20,000 miles.

Chris

kentsmudger

Thanks - I thought a set a year was a bit excessive, but might look at mine just in case now I'm pushing 80K and don't know if they've ever been changed.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

JoniiBoii

Broken link (look below please)

JoniiBoii

JoniiBoii

Tags: