Malfunction indicator lamp

Started by MR2Blue, January 24, 2004, 15:09

MR2Blue

Whilst driving home this morning I noticed that "Malfunction indicator lamp" had lit up (the little engine shaped one between the ABS and the battery, on the bottom of the right hand side dial for fuel and engine temperature).
I stopped the car and checked everything visually, couldn't see anything obvious so drove home, as soon as I got through the door I took a look at the owners manual, it states as follows.

If the lamp comes on when driving, check the following, empty fuel tank (filled up yesterday), loose fuel tank cap (tight).
These cases are temporary malfunctions and the lamp will go off after taking several driving trips, if it doesn't contact your Toyota dealer ASAP.

If the fuel tank is not empty or the fuel tank cap is not loose...
There is a problem somewhere in the engine, emission control system, electronic throttle control system, automatic transmission electrical system or warning light system.

Contact your Toyota dealer ASAP to service the vehicle.
The owners manual then goes on to mention a problem with engine speed when depressing the accelerator pedal (everything OK there).

I telephoned MrT and told him what had happened, he said "Don't do too much driving over the weekend and bring it in on Monday morning."

I'm scared to do any driving at all until I know what the problem is.

Has anybody else had this problem? I did do a search but nothing came up.

Anonymous

It did it in my old Astra and it turned out the ECU was broken   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Best £600 i ever spent that WASN'T :@

Don't get too worried tho as it happened again after that and it was just a loose connection - legendary VXL build quality   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

mph

Unless and until you know what code(s) the ECU has thrown it's best to treat with caution and drive as little as possible. If the engine appears to be idling and running 'normally', then a) the ECU hasn't gone into limp mode; and b) it's likely all the critical sensors are still functioning.

When you do go in, 'insist' that they tell you what the actual codes were - they're be four digit numbers - don't let them fob you off with some generic, "faulty sensor" undescriptive text!

You don't say what year/transmission you have, nor whether you've modified your car in any way. Once we here what the code is, we can then give you some subjective commentary on what it means   s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

MR2Blue

Quote from: "mph"You don't say what year/transmission you have, nor whether you've modified your car in any way. Once we here what the code is, we can then give you some subjective commentary on what it means   s:) :) s:)

Sorry MPH, it's an 02/manual transmission, no engine mods.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

Mine has never lit, but the guys at SC seem to think it's ok to just reset it and keep driving. If it appears again, worry about it. If it doesn't, forget it.

(disconnect the battery for 5 mins or so to reset it)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MR2Blue

I took the car into the dealers this morning, they said that the light had come on because of a problem with the O 2 (oxygen) sensor, the code shown was P0141, they are going to replace it on Wednesday, they also said that they'd noticed some corrosion on the front discs and they'll change these as well under warranty.

mph

P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

That'll be what's known as the 'third' sensor, ie the one after the main CAT. Wouldn't have hurt to drive it at all, but always better safe than sorry!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

MR2Blue

Quote from: "mph"P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

That'll be what's known as the 'third' sensor, ie the one after the main CAT. Wouldn't have hurt to drive it at all, but always better safe than sorry!

Thanks Martin, at least I know now, worried for a while though.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "MR2Blue"I took the car into the dealers this morning, they said that the light had come on because of a problem with the O 2 (oxygen) sensor, the code shown was P0141, they are going to replace it on Wednesday, they also said that they'd noticed some corrosion on the front discs and they'll change these as well under warranty.

How good is that?  At least one decent dealer service department out there!

GSB

Quote from: "Andy S"How good is that?  At least one decent dealer service department out there!

They haven't fixed it yet...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Funny that the codes are so specific.

I had the error light a while back and the dealer said one of the O2 sensors had gone 'open circuit' but they couldn't tell which one so would change all 3 under warranty !!

GSB

Quote from: "jblackmore"Funny that the codes are so specific.

I had the error light a while back and the dealer said one of the O2 sensors had gone 'open circuit' but they couldn't tell which one so would change all 3 under warranty !!

Odd. Not only does the ECU tell you which sensor is faulty (bank1, bank2, or the 3rd sensor that keeps an eye on catalyst operation), But finding out whii]ch one was "open circuit" would be as simple as unplugging it and checking it with a multimeter. Earning a bit of warranty cash on the side perhaps? Still, at least you got 3 new sensors out of it... (Or did you?)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MR2Blue

Quote from: "GSB"They haven't fixed it yet...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I've just telephoned the dealer, part's in but can't fix it until Friday, the're rushed off their feet.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "MR2Blue"
Quote from: "GSB"They haven't fixed it yet...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I've just telephoned the dealer, part's in but can't fix it until Friday, the're rushed off their feet.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Then wait, drive it a bit. I had a CEL and immediately took my car to my local dealer. It had the same fault code as you. They reset it a few times and said I could still drive it round whilst they waited for the new part to come in.

A week later I went back and told them that the CEL hadn't shown in the past week. They checked everything and said that it must have been a glitch. Nothing was replaced and I haven't had a problem since (this was about 18 months ago)

markiii

and you got to drive the car how much in the last 18 months?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Peter Laborne

A fair few thousand

markiii

sorry just figured from your previous posts it had spent most of that time either at Jemca or in your garage as you told them it was unafe to drive.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MR2Blue

Took the car in today, sensor replaced.  s:D :D s:D  

Regarding changing the front discs, they said they didn't need to be changed, their boss looked at them and said they only needed (can't remember the word he used) polishing/smoothing.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I told them, that now they've brought them to my attention, I'll be obsessed with them and every time I see a blemish I'll bring the car in.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Purchased the ScanTool gadget that GSB recommended from Gendan and have the code "P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)".

Is there anything I can do or is it a job for Mr.T (car is out of warranty though)?

SteveJ

It's most likely just the O2 sensor that has given up the ghost - the one in question is the 3rd sensor just after the main cat.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jag"Purchased the ScanTool gadget that GSB recommended from Gendan and have the code "P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)".

Is there anything I can do or is it a job for Mr.T (car is out of warranty though)?

Not changed O2 sensors on the '2, but should be a pretty simple job to unwire and screw out, once you identify which sensor is bank 1 sensor 2.  I imagine a forum search would probably tell you where this sensor is.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Andy S"
Quote from: "jag"Purchased the ScanTool gadget that GSB recommended from Gendan and have the code "P0141 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)".

Not changed O2 sensors on the '2, but should be a pretty simple job to unwire and screw out, once you identify which sensor is bank 1 sensor 2.  I imagine a forum search would probably tell you where this sensor is.

and as I said yesterday :-

Quote from: "SteveJ"It's most likely just the O2 sensor that has given up the ghost - the one in question is the 3rd sensor just after the main cat.

s:? :? s:?   s:? :? s:?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Hi,

Do a search for "O2 sensor"; I remember someone on here posting a link to a site that was selling O2 sensors suitable for the MR2 for about £30, IIRC!  s8) 8) s8)  Which is a bit better than the price toyota ask   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'd imagine it should be easy to do - remove the old O2 sensor, cut wires, then solder the wires of the new sensor onto the ends of the wires on the loom. I think the site gave instructions of which wires to connect together.

Simple as   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "Andy S"

and as I said yesterday :-

Quote from: "SteveJ"It's most likely just the O2 sensor that has given up the ghost - the one in question is the 3rd sensor just after the main cat.

s:? :? s:?   s:? :? s:?   s:? :? s:?

Sorry Steve, don't know how I missed your post!  Should be an easy job!

Anonymous

Cheers guys. I'll give it a go.

Tags: