Malfunction indicator lamp

Started by MR2Blue, January 24, 2004, 15:09

Anonymous

Hi,

I had the engine warning light appear a few days ago and following the advice from this site I reset the ECU and cleaned the MAF sensor using carb cleaner. After reinstalling everything and reconnecting the battery I started her up and the light was no longer showing - until about 5 miles later.

So I went to a local dealer and had the fault diagnosed as P0141 (bank 1, sensor 2).  Was quoted £120 incl VAT for the part, £190 all in for it to be fitted (although the guy hinted he should be able to arrange a discount considering I'd paid £40 for the diagnosis).

I've read a bit more on this site about this specific error (http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2300&highlight=p0141) and a couple of people have had identical warnings appear but no one seems to have posted an update to what they did or how it went (unless I'm totally missing it somewhere)

I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to exhaust systems, cats, pre-cats, manifolds and all that stuff.  I am more than happy to have a stab at anything if someone can advise how I might do that? I can probably rope in a more mechanically-minded friend to help me if it's a complicated job?  Also, I saw on one post that an 02 sensor could be bought for £30 - can anyone help on where I could get one?

Cheers,

Yorkie

Slacey

First port of call is to remove the offending sensor and clean it - the carb cleaner you used on the MAF is fine. If this doesn't help, then swop the sensor out, see here for a cheaper replacement.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

This warning has come up several times on my car and seeing as my toyota garage is 100 yds from my house I ve always called into them with.

My Garage is very good although they had to admit they'd never seen the roadster mr2 till I took it in, but its the 3rd Toyota I've owned and both my Folks and my sister have toyotas also so they've always looked after me.

After reading about cleaning the MAF I talked to John in the Garage, we checked it but it wasn't really dirty so we just reset the ECU and decided to order a new MAF.

Just had it fitted and the ECU reset this morning and the difference unbelievable, Torque  much more linear. Haven't paid them yet but they told me they'd send the bill out.

For what it seems yes cleaning your MAF should be something you do every 6 months but that of course won't help a faulty one!

Bite the bullet and get a new one

Slacey

kj, we are talking O2 sensors, not MAF in this case.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Thanks Slacey, are there any instructions for removing the sensors, I've done a quick search but can't find anything with some nice pictures! (unless it's covered on here http://www.spydermagazine.com/2003/Nov/ppe/ppe.htm)

Presumably I'll need a 02 removal tool right?

thanks for the link to the sensor site, is it the 4-wire one I want (£32.97)? I've read that I might need to chop, crimp and resolder wires - is this right?

Also, I've been reading a little more about the exhaust setup and now I'm worried about the pre-cat situation. Should I gut the pre-cats? I can't understand why Toyota would sell a car where the pre-cats will disintegrate after a few thousand miles and shaft the engine.

By the way, the car is totally stock and with the CEL still on the car seems fine. It idle's and accelerates as good as it always has done.
Yorkie

kanujunkie

Quote from: "yorkie"Presumably I'll need a 02 removal tool right?

yep, its a 22mm Oxygen socket you'll need, just search on google for them, you'll pay under £8 for one delivered
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: