which tyres

Started by jonfy, November 13, 2008, 19:54

jonfy

Hi ,
Having read through the posts on tyres i am more confused than ever on what to replace the terrible ones with on my car .
The car is a standard vehicle on a 2001 plate, front 195,s rear 205,s and all different makes, obviously the handling is nowhere as good as it could be and not to mention a tad dangerous !!

What would you people suggest, i will not be taking the car to the track but will be driving it fairly spiritedly in the dry !
Cash limit is around the 250 mark.

Any suggestions would be most welcome
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

roger

Obvious choice, especially given the price restraint, is Toyo TR1, same size as standard. Good in the wet as well.

As you have already sussed do them NOW. A day's wait may be a day too long.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

northernalex

Quote from: "roger"Obvious choice, especially given the price restraint, is Toyo TR1, same size as standard. Good in the wet as well.

As you have already sussed do them NOW. A day's wait may be a day too long.

+1 try mytyres.co.uk or blackcircles.com and see what they can do for you on price.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Has to be Yoko S-Drive....surely?

markiii

Quote from: "sjspitz"Has to be Yoko S-Drive....surely?

not sure they come in suitable sizes

but in principle they shodl be comparable

don;t know anyone whos tried them though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

blackcircles.com have a club discount.

Simon

Innocent

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "sjspitz"Has to be Yoko S-Drive....surely?

not sure they come in suitable sizes

but in principle they shodl be comparable

don;t know anyone whos tried them though

I'm on Yoko Advan A043's, which from reviews i believe are quite similar. Stick like glue in the dry, so much so that i struggle to spin the wheels (standard power engine). Fine in the wet on normal driving conditions, but can bite you if you push too hard. Been on them over a year now, and i recon they'll last another year, but that includes a few days on track. Should last total of 15k miles. Reasonably short life, but they're a good price and do the job very well.

Try  w www.event-tyres.co.uk w , can be beaten on price by about £10 on a full set, but with the benefit that they come to your house or work or anywhere to fit them the next day.

roger

Quote from: "Innocent"Reasonably short life, but they're a good price

Bit more than £250 though.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Innocent

Quote from: "roger"

Not by much, got mine for just under £300, but i see they're £318 on event tyres now.

S-Drives are well within the £250 on this site and they'll last longer too.

Anonymous

I'm on Yokohama SDrives and find them brilliant. Great handling and superb grip   s:D :D s:D  
 Cost £460 but my wheels are 17's & 16's well worth the extra tho.

jonfy

I paid £260.00 fitted for the Toyo's plus free tracking. not a bad price really
2003 Silver Hardtop with  Black Leather & Toyota body kit.
Added \":D\"e Cat, Toyo\'s-TTE lowering springs, KYB super sports shocks,TTE banana spoiler, Kenwood audio, uprated shifter bushings and heated mirrors.

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonfy"

I paid £260.00 fitted for the Toyo's plus free tracking. not a bad price really

Seems a good price and lots of people seem to like these tyres...even if there slippery to begin with. You enjoying running slow behind Nissan Micra's for afew hundred miles?   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cj   s:) :) s:)

WillsSayers

I can't say mine were slippy to begin with - must've covered about 100 miles before the tyres seemed to start peaking! Besides, even when slippy at the start of their life, they're a hell of a lot better than the no-brands I had on to begin with!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

evileye_wrx

Anyone tried Kumho Ecsta Sports? I've got 3 on the wheels I bought yesterday and wondered if I should just buy one more of those or a full new set of Toyo's. They are V rated for speed and correct stagger 185/ 205

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

markiii

never tried them personally but teh elise guys seem to like them for teh cost of a tyre I reckon I'd try it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ChrisGB

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Anyone tried Kumho Ecsta Sports? I've got 3 on the wheels I bought yesterday and wondered if I should just buy one more of those or a full new set of Toyo's. They are V rated for speed and correct stagger 185/ 205

Phil

Not had them on an MR2 but have had them on the Fabia VRS. They had a bit more ultimate grip than the T1R but had less progression once they let go. I would have had them again, but the Toyos were a fair bit quieter on the Fabia. Sidewalls are quite stiff, so should avoid any sloppy handling. I know someone had them on SC and was pleased. I reckon try it, they are pretty good.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: