Speed Detecters.What have you got?

Started by Anonymous, November 27, 2008, 16:04

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"The worst people are those who actually drive at 5mph below the speed limit to ensure they don't go over. They just slow everyone down way too much, especially when it's just to prove a point.

Phil

The majority of people do drive 5mph up to traffic lights, yes usually to ensure they don't go over them...especially when there on red   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Is your excellorator abit sticky Phil or do you place a brick on it when your out & about?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Cj   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Cj"
Quote from: "evileye_xc"The worst people are those who actually drive at 5mph below the speed limit to ensure they don't go over. They just slow everyone down way too much, especially when it's just to prove a point.

Phil

The majority of people do drive 5mph up to traffic lights, yes usually to ensure they don't go over them...especially when there on red   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Is your excellorator abit sticky Phil or do you place a brick on it when your out & about?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Cj   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

Jokeing aside though, i see where your coming from Phil, your proberbly referring to the Nissan Micra clan? Having said that, most of those have been sold out to boy racers and been souped up now.Though theres still afew hardcore 'micra's' clans out there! We need to be careful around   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
The Micra clan seem to have upgraded to a Vauxall Agilas! well at least they THINK the've upgraded   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Not having a pop at the older generation drivers...however i do feel if they ca'nt enforce a test re-take over the age of 60, then if i were in  goverment i'd give each driver over 60 years of age a GPS free along with their bus pass's so they can be reminded that the road has it limits and GPS would clearly remind them what speed to go on the road there currently on.I'm sure with todays technology they could even make them hearing aid compatable   s:) :) s:)  Short sighted OAP's would'nt have a problem as GPS is verbal anyway.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Cj

northernalex

To be honest, all joking aside.. I stick to the speed limit like glue - when safe driving conditions prevail.

However, I belive that fast driving does not mean dangerous driving. When in Germany I constantly drove at the max speed my hire could (130-140mph) on the de restricted motorways. This did not feel in any way dangerous. AND the Germans had cameras to snap you if you were tailgaiting.. surely THIS is a decent safety feature - although it has to be pretty inteligently programmed.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"To be honest, all joking aside.. I stick to the speed limit like glue - when safe driving conditions prevail.

However, I belive that fast driving does not mean dangerous driving. When in Germany I constantly drove at the max speed my hire could (130-140mph) on the de restricted motorways. This did not feel in any way dangerous. AND the Germans had cameras to snap you if you were tailgaiting.. surely THIS is a decent safety feature - although it has to be pretty inteligently programmed.

True, but it's a tricky one, interesting to see what the fatality rate is on the autobans in Germany though...A scarey thought letting GB drivers loose at those kind of speed limits. GB practical tests would definatly need to be upped imo. The Finish learn from a very early age how to handle a vehichle properly-like a pro rally driver would and is all part of their driving lessons.
Really depends who's behind the wheel and how competant that driver is, not how competant they think they are.

StuM

Quote from: "Gif"There never has been a plan to make GPS based systems illegal......

Not yet illegal to use a laser/radar detector....

Yep, I meant radar detectors.  It can't be made illegal for GPS systems - it's no different to buying a map with them indicated, or telling a friend where one is.

I did read that apparently the mobile ones don't need to be as well marked as the used to - I've seen a picture of a policeman in the back of a horse box with a speed gun!
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Star_69

The best detector is a passenger shouting 'CAMERAAAAAAAA!!!'   s:D :D s:D  

Whilst GPS units are good, you tend to rely on them and when they have not been updated you get caught out. Speeding on the motorway is like being a sitting duck. Too many times have I seen people getting booked in the hard shoulder by unmarked 5Series BMW's etc. B roads are a different kettle of fish. If I know the road well and know there are no junctions, sideroads, footpaths, residential areas, speed bumps, cameras, surprises etc I do tend to give my right foot a rest and leave it on the floor   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Quote from: "StuM"I did read that apparently the mobile ones don't need to be as well marked as the used to - I've seen a picture of a policeman in the back of a horse box with a speed gun!

This does really worry me!
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

StuM

Quote from: "Star_69"
Quote from: "StuM"I did read that apparently the mobile ones don't need to be as well marked as the used to - I've seen a picture of a policeman in the back of a horse box with a speed gun!

This does really worry me!

BBC News
MCN Vid on YouTube

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Stu M

Anonymous

Quote from: Star_69The best detector is a passenger shouting 'CAMERAAAAAAAA!!!'   s:D :D s:D

Lol & giggle   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Trouble with that is, by the time the passengers shouted it, youve proberbly just passed one and  if there shortsighted your stuffed!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
BMWubble u's and Vauxall Omega's too seem to be favourites, but i've even seen a clapped out looking silver fiesta leaving a petrol station with a couple of very handsome peaceman in   s:P :P s:P

roger

Quote from: "Cj"then if i were in  goverment i'd give each driver over 60 years of age a GPS free along with their bus pass's so they can be reminded that the road has it limits and GPS would clearly remind them what speed to go on the road there currently on.I'm sure with todays technology they could even make them hearing aid compatable   s:) :) s:)  Short sighted OAP's would'nt have a problem as GPS is verbal anyway.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Cj

Watch it!   I'm all for free GPS for over 60's - problem is I can't see the bloody thing without my "computer" specs on thats why I need high volume - not because I'm deaf. Half past one by the way.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Cj"then if i were in  goverment i'd give each driver over 60 years of age a GPS free along with their bus pass's so they can be reminded that the road has it limits and GPS would clearly remind them what speed to go on the road there currently on.I'm sure with todays technology they could even make them hearing aid compatable   s:) :) s:)  Short sighted OAP's would'nt have a problem as GPS is verbal anyway.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Cj

Watch it!   I'm all for free GPS for over 60's - problem is I can't see the bloody thing without my "computer" specs on thats why I need high volume - not because I'm deaf. Half past one by the way.

I'm sure if you play golf Roger your on the ball   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'd trust you behind me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cj

StuM

Quote from: "Cj"I'm sure if you play golf Roger your on the ball   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'd trust you behind me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cj

Carry On ROC anyone?!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Stu M

Anonymous

Quote from: "StuM"
Quote from: "Cj"I'm sure if you play golf Roger your on the ball   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'd trust you behind me   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cj

Carry On ROC anyone?!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Ok StuM. Lets get this thread back on topic then!
So.....you've had some imput into these GPS's on the thread- Youtube & BBC links too...So what GPS have you got?  s:) :) s:)  

Cj

Anonymous

I have the Road Angel compact. Been very reliable with fixed cameras but the optional laser detector I have on it has never gone off apart from at random intervals where there is no other cars about!

custardavenger

Quote from: "uktotty"Roadpilot Micro Go
Its wicked

Looks cool but dam it's expensive to update.

I remember seeing one that had a button that if you saw a camera location it didn't know you press it and it would upload it to the main database. Can't find it now
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Gif

I use the original cyclops unit which has that function.  Audible and visual alarm with a GPS speedo built in too.
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

dbrown

i'd agree people tend to rely on detectors
living in county durham i just never expect to see a camera
but on friday i passed 3 mobile traps in durham centre within
about half an hour (all different vehicles, not the same one moving from place to place)
Darren

2004 silver roadster totally [strike]standard[/strike] wrecked \":(\"

StuM

Quote from: "Cj"So what GPS have you got?  s:) :) s:)  

TomTom One, loaded with speed camera maps.

Plus
* Easy to use.  
* Loud, audible warning tones plus clearly marked icons on the screen showing location
* Covers know mobile camera placements

Minus
* Needs regular updating
* Bleeps every 20 secs on part of the M25
* Mobile cameras can be anywhere, so are not all known

Would recommend downloading the maps if you already have a TomTom.

Regards,
Stu
Stu M

Gif

Quote from: "StuM"* Bleeps every 20 secs on part of the M25

That's cos there are variable speed limit cameras mounted on the overbridges   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

Anonymous

Ive got a Microfuzion Express, they are very cheap on ebay and they do work very well and also have a 0-60 test built in   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I know this is an old thread, but this might interest someone.... the wife's got one of those iPhone things, and installed a free GPS speed camera program on it. We didn't really think it'd be much cop - but having tried it over the weekend on a run from Brighton to Sheffield, it warned about every single camera (speed and traffic light - even roadwork temporary ones), with speed limit, distance to camera countdown and warnings about your current speed (which of course, no one would need, 'coz no-one would speed).

Pulls the camera locations off the net as it goes along, so it's continually up-to-date.

Perfect, and free (if you already have an iPhone, no reason not to install it).

Tags: