Brake discs and pads

Started by WillsSayers, December 3, 2008, 17:03

WillsSayers

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting some new brake discs and pads. 3 reasons: 1) my brakes squeel, 2) they're quite worn, 3) I can't help but feel the brakes are quite soft.

What do people recommend? My budget's about £400 for the discs and pads. I'm currently eyeing up the 3G discs (10 groove) with Mintex pads, but I have absolutely zero knowledge when it comes to brakes!

I've tried searching but uncovered absolutely zilch.

Ta!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

markiii

I'd stick with stock pads I never found any better

best upgrade you can do is braided lines and decent fluid

disc wise I had no issues with my black diamonds
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

What sort of cost am I looking at for braided lines, and is it a time consuming job labour-wise?

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::

markiii

about £45 and a couple of hours to DIY, less for a garage
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

WillsSayers

Where can I get said hoses from? And can you recommend some good fluid? Does different fluid get used at different rates, or should it be fine unless there's a leak?

StuM

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Where can I get said hoses from? And can you recommend some good fluid? Does different fluid get used at different rates, or should it be fine unless there's a leak?

It's a sealed system, so won't get used unless there's a leak.  More of a problem is degradation of the fluid over time.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

WillsSayers

Ahh right that's good to know  s:) :) s:)  I told ya I'm a reet noob ;D

markiii

get teh fluid replaced with Motul RBF600 its really good stuff

rmowbray

I went with EBC dimple grooved discs and greenstuff pads. Did them at the front first and loved them, so then did them at the back and was slightly disapointed that there didn't seem any improvement. They're well within your budget.

That said, the braking system on the roadster is pretty damn good as stock. So you could take the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" view. My reason for getting the EBCs was that I wanted grooved discs to see if they would clear heavy road spray off the disc quicker and avoid the scary ½ second of nowt when you put your foot on the brake on the m-way in heavy rain.   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

I have to agree with markiii, good fluid (1st) and braided hoses (2nd), may be the best way to go if your brakes are not worn out but feel soft.

roger

Quote from: "rmowbray"I went with EBC dimple grooved discs and greenstuff pads. Did them at the front first and loved them,I have to agree with markiii, good fluid (1st) and braided hoses (2nd), may be the best way to go if your brakes are not worn out but feel soft.

My set up exactly. Just waiting for the rears to need doing. BTW also added speedbleeders to the system which makes it all very easy.

IMO this works better than OEM. Which of the mods does it, not sure, but I reckon they all add benefit.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ChrisGB

I am on EBC plain discs with Toyota pads and Goodrige braided hoses. Works well, no sign of fade, good feel and progression.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Two's Company

I'm on EBC Grooved discs, standard pads and Goodridge hoses, RBF 600 brake fluid.  The stainless steel brake lines and fluid made a massive difference to the 4.5 year old ones they replaced.  EBC discs look a bit nicer but I've not really noticed any performance improvement, I got them because they were cheaper than standard ones.

roger

Quote from: "Twos Company"I'm on EBC Grooved discs, standard pads and Goodridge hoses, RBF 600 brake fluid.  The stainless steel brake lines and fluid made a massive difference to the 4.5 year old ones they replaced.  EBC discs look a bit nicer but I've not really noticed any performance improvement, I got them because they were cheaper than standard ones.

As I said above, on exactly the same. I found the EBC + green pads were better than OEM, with the foot pedal becaming more positive. But that maybe just because they were bled.   s:? :? s:?
Roger

Ilogik

Don't bother wasting you money on groved disks, Buy some Carbotech brake pads, go for Bobcats if you can, more of a street friendly pad, not much dust or squeel at low spee.d

If you fancy some brakes that are uber kick ass, buy some Carbotech AX6 aka XP8 in the UK.

You won't find a better brake pad. if normal driving go stock, ebc are shite, red pads dont give good bite from cold, green are the same as standard, yellow are ok though.

You wont get the bobcats in the UK, but give them a call, had some sent out to me within 6 days recored very good service.
 m http://www.ctbrakes.com/ m

If you want the XP8 or some advice, give rogue a call.
 w www.revision6.com w
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Wabbitkilla

Well, i got the ebc "turbo" grooved and dimpled discs because they were a good price (relative to most others) are anodised to keep rust under control on the unswept parts and looked sexy... well and because they seemed to be lasting well on other peoples' cars. I put blackstuff pads on because i already had them, they're basically standard spec pads.

The brakes perform very nicely, look the part and corrosion of the unswept surfaces is none-existent. The swept surface gets a little corrosion in damp conditions but it's just on the surface and disappears as soon as you use them. All in all very pleased with them.

You don't need to go all exotic or "not available in this country" to get decent brake performace. By far the be improvement to brake performance was had by fitting the braided hoses and dot5.1 fluid. Just make sure they fit the rear ones properly or they rub against the bodywork.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Ilogik

untill you try carbotechs, you won't understand lol. The pads with standard disks are amazing.

custardavenger

Ok this is getting interesting now.

I have Bremtech disks on the front with Mintex extreme pads. Have had no problems at all other that the usuall overheating on track. An considering replacing all the disks for new Bremtechs bit getting the zink passivated (as EBC) to stop them rusting, Then keep the front disk I have to go with some track pads.

Ilogic, Do you have an idea of price for the Carbotechs? Ones that would be suitable for track.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

roger

Quote from: "Ilogik"Don't bother wasting you money on groved disks, Buy some Carbotech brake pads, go for Bobcats if you can, more of a street friendly pad, not much dust or squeel at low spee.d

If you fancy some brakes that are uber kick ass, buy some Carbotech AX6 aka XP8 in the UK.

Quote from: "Carbotech"..... does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Bit of a bummer if you do track days.
Roger

roger

Quote from: "custardavenger"Ilogic, Do you have an idea of price for the Carbotechs? Ones that would be suitable for track.

Look on the website - £175 + (depending what you buy) for set of 4 plus delivery USA to UK. Not cheap.
Roger

Ilogik

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Ilogik"Don't bother wasting you money on groved disks, Buy some Carbotech brake pads, go for Bobcats if you can, more of a street friendly pad, not much dust or squeel at low spee.d

Quote from: "Carbotech"..... does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Bit of a bummer if you do track days.
Rogue use the xp8 as track brakes.
As street pads, they are great from warm and cold,  but xp8 are bit noisy and leave a lot of dust, they do last very well though, unlike the ebc they wont rip chunks out your disks.

The bobcats I was recommended by carbotech, as they don't have squeel, and don't produce to much dust.

Think they charged me $25 for recored postage to the UK, I will never go back to other brands of pad, and if you do a quick search for brake pads, you will see where im coming from, once you go carbotech you wont go back  s:) :) s:)

Ilogik

Quote from: "custardavenger"Ok this is getting interesting now.

I have Bremtech disks on the front with Mintex extreme pads. Have had no problems at all other that the usuall overheating on track. An considering replacing all the disks for new Bremtechs bit getting the zink passivated (as EBC) to stop them rusting, Then keep the front disk I have to go with some track pads.

Ilogic, Do you have an idea of price for the Carbotechs? Ones that would be suitable for track.
Speak to Rogue Motorsport mate, here you go  m http://www.revision6.com m  think they had them on there mk3 Britcar.

Alot of people use them as a road pad, its whatever you want to put up with tbh. ahh wait its the panther plus not xp8, getting myself confused.

Ax6 in usa is the Panther plus.
Bobcat is bobcat can only be bought from USA.

Review for you
 m http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32637 m

Star_69

I cant imagine needing to stop any quicker than the stock set up! Its amazing. Any quicker and I'd worry the airbag would go off   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

loadswine

Just as another combination. I have grooved discs on my 2, no idea of make, as they were on the car when i got it .
I have RBF600 fluid, stainless braided hoses and Black Diamond pads. Brilliant in all situations I have come across and can't find any downsides. On a track I used them as hard as I possibly could and there was no loss in braking efficiency,
bearing in mind my 2 is heavier than some. The dust from the Black Diamond pads is not bad at all and supposed to be lower than most out there.
I do also have mega respect for the stock setup though, having used it on other peoples turbo'd 2s and unless you have a special reason for changing over, stock is a very safe bet, especially , as Mark has said, with the right fluid and stainless braided hoses.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Ilogik

Quote from: "loadswine"Just as another combination. I have grooved discs on my 2, no idea of make, as they were on the car when i got it .
I have RBF600 fluid, stainless braided hoses and Black Diamond pads. Brilliant in all situations I have come across and can't find any downsides. On a track I used them as hard as I possibly could and there was no loss in braking efficiency,
bearing in mind my 2 is heavier than some. The dust from the Black Diamond pads is not bad at all and supposed to be lower than most out there.
I do also have mega respect for the stock setup though, having used it on other peoples turbo'd 2s and unless you have a special reason for changing over, stock is a very safe bet, especially , as Mark has said, with the right fluid and stainless braided hoses.
Exactly all down to what you want to use it for, I find the ebc stuff a waste of money over standard, if you want gains carbotech if you have reason for needing them. If not standard are good.

Tags: