Handling consequences of tyre pressures, strut bars, etc

Started by Anonymous, June 20, 2003, 15:11

Anonymous

I'm about to fit a front-strut brace, and have read "in another place" that stiffening/altering suspension, not surprisingly, affects handling balance, leading to more or less under- or oversteer, which in turn can be counteracted by changing tyre pressures.

I understand the basic principles of each bit, but understanding the relationships between the different things is making my brain hurt   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Can someone who understands it all more than me give a quick run down on how these things interact, and what the end results are?

I guess I'm asking "what am I likely to need to do as a result of adding a FSB", given that my current setup is leaning towards slight understeer (and I want it more neutral, or slight oversteer for goonage  s:) :) s:)  )

Anonymous

I'm no expert but fitting a FSB will prevent fron suspension geometry changes during heavy cornering and should help cancel out that understeer nicely.

A simple description of how tyre pressure effects handling is this...  lower pressure = greater contact patch between tyre and road = more grip.  Therefore if you're understeering drop front tyre pressure, for oversteer vice versa (pressure/wheel).

That's simplistic I know, and someone with more knowledge will no doubt follow up, but it gies you a good basic idea of how it works.

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"I'm no expert but fitting a FSB will prevent fron suspension geometry changes during heavy cornering and should help cancel out that understeer nicely.
--H--

True that,

Also when you are right on the limit you may not be able to feel when the car is going to "go" as much. So you may end up in a spin as a FSB makes it much more sudden with much less warning.

Apart from that should help car loads!

SteveJ

While we are Keevil you can have a play in my '03 (off track though   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) to see what the differences are between the two.

SteveJ

Tags: