Another dead one :(

Started by Jelle, December 31, 2008, 19:05

Jelle

Hi everyone, I was pointed in this direction from pistonheads.com.

I have been driving a MR2 Roadster '01, VVTi for about a month (borrowed). This last week its been extremely heavy on the oil, 4 litres in about 400 steady miles!. Last night started suffering power loss on the m'way, recovered slightly then dropped down to 50mph and wouldn't accelerate. I did notice a rattle from the engine and the oil light flashed on and off again.

Luckliy I was close enough to limp it home.

I've been reading the forum since last night and guessing its pretty terminal for the engine.

I spoke to a chap over in Barnsley who can collect and rebuild, I'm waiting for a mate to do a compression test to give the guy a bit more of an idea, then get a quote.

I saw the ad on ebay for someone who'll replace the engine all in for £1k.

I'm totally gutted and a bit stuck for getting to work, the m'bike also has an oil leak and needs a new chain & sprockets and its bloody freezing out!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

If anyone can give some advice I'd be extremely grateful, or just some sympathy would be cool   s:( :( s:(  

I'm in East Yorkshire

Thank you!

Anonymous

Welcome to the club.

Sorry to hear about your woes   s:( :( s:(   there is a shedload of information with plenty of people to help on this site.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Hope you get sorted and have better luck in the new year.

Les

Anonymous

Sympathy.  s:( :( s:(  

Do you mean the car is not yours, i.e. borrowed from a mate? 99% it is precat failure, so nothing that you did.

By the way, you will need a new main cat as well.

Jelle

Its my Mum's, I'm meant to be saving for a trip next year. I still feel bad, she's gutted too, talking about selling as spares/repairs   s:( :( s:(  

Toyota don't want to know because its just past the 7 years, which is pretty bad considering they know its a fault from new!

Thanks for the sympathy, going to open something sparkly now and try to cheer up a bit   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Even travellers doing flat roofs will guarentee them for ten years! So Toyota make seven year cars, what an advert, wonder what to buy next. This must be at least the third post on here of a 2 breaking JUST after the seven year period; now if I were a cynic!

Anonymous

Quote from: "sandstrain"Even travellers doing flat roofs will guarentee them for ten years!

Yes, i believe they always honour them too.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Yup, just like Toyota   s:D :D s:D

Jelle

I've just been given a slating by some keyboard warrior because we hadn't used a main stealer for servicing. This would have happened even if I'd done it myself, wouldn't it?!

Anonymous

Yes,sounds like oval bore syndrome.Can you remove one of the two precat sensors and have a look at your precats to see if still intact?

Sepp

Sorry to hear about your problem!
Also can understand Toyota's point of view. They don't know whether the correct oil was used, changed often enough etc.
How many miles has it covered?
This is not gloating but just for interest's sake. Mine has done 120,000km and the compression is still just over 200psi and within for or five psi on all cylinders. It's a my2000. Just gutted the precats about 5000km ago and they were in perfect condition.
I'd go for a second hand Corolla engine from the wrecker's yard. Swapping it out shouldn't cost you much - even better if you do it yourself.
Also check with SpyderChat.

Best of Luck

Jelle

Its only done 54k and has been regularly serviced and the correct (expensive! lol) oil used.

Could have a go at getting the pre-cat off, there's a chap coming to do a compression test so he might stay and help.

It really really sucks   s:( :( s:(

Gleeman

I feel your pain - I'm in the same position.

I've just had a reconditioned engine fitted by International Car Spares in Oldham for £1000.  I also got a new cat for £250 delivered from these guys:

m http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/produ ... s=0&max=10 m

I'm still running the engine in but it seems good to me.

Jelle

Thanks Gleeman, thats not a bad price.

Still wondering how I'm going to get to work on Monday, I think the CBR might have to come out, just hope its not too icy!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jelle"Its only done 54k and has been regularly serviced and the correct (expensive! lol) oil used.

Could have a go at getting the pre-cat off, there's a chap coming to do a compression test so he might stay and help.

It really really sucks   s:( :( s:(

Sorry to hear of your problems, I hope you sort it, but once you have got it back on the road I would keep the car, why let someone else benefit from your expense.

I think you should save your money, the engine is knackered so best to cut your loss and look at a replacement if you can stretch to it. Oval bores is causing many cars to fail lately and there's not a great deal you can do once the rings / bores have gone.

I'd remove your pre-cats after you have replaced the engine, why strip something twice you may as well wait until you swop the engine, also the main cat will be toast due to the oil, you might be able to pick one up second hand off here or from a decent spares yard.

Good luck.

Rob

markiii

Kanujunkie has a cat for sale, bargain as well
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "Sepp"Sorry to hear about your problem!
Also can understand Toyota's point of view. They don't know whether the correct oil was used, changed often enough etc.
How many miles has it covered?
This is not gloating but just for interest's sake. Mine has done 120,000km and the compression is still just over 200psi and within for or five psi on all cylinders. It's a my2000. Just gutted the precats about 5000km ago and they were in perfect condition.
I'd go for a second hand Corolla engine from the wrecker's yard. Swapping it out shouldn't cost you much - even better if you do it yourself.
Also check with SpyderChat.

Best of Luck

This is probably for another thread (or more probably has been threaded to death) but I worry about a 7 year warranty because a lot of engines seem to be failing just after it. Anyone can guarantee something which probability says will last for as long as the warranty period. Why my interest? 2002 car with 'almost' (oh shit) a full service history. I just think we are being let down by Toyota; if the engine fails because of the known problem then how much of an issue is the service history, oil used etc? I know this goes nowhere.

markiii

a lot have failed insode it as well

I think those failing just outside are lucky they lasted that long
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ilogik

Probably rubbish oil used, pre cats maybe? Live and learn, I would buy a new engine, check out GT-S chris, or persuade your mum to have a 2ZZ engine fitted, 190bhp celica engine.

Barnsley rings a bell, If its Sbits, steer clear, the guy is lieing cowboy.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Jelle

What do you know about sbits?

Ilogik

Quote from: "Jelle"What do you know about sbits?

The rebuilt my Mk2 turbo engine, did a cock up job from day one, had the car back several times, was lied to and told the engine had seated properly, when I had a check, found the engine to not have seated properly, said would sort it then kept getting fobbed off again.

pm'd

Ilogik

If you can get it to bham, Im pretty sure Rogue will do a very good job, they have a decent rep, history of working on MK3's, check out their britcar Mk3, as well as owning several different models.

Website

Revision6.com

Only company I would trust with my car.

Jelle

Thanks very much   s:) :) s:)

Rowland

Sorry to hear of your bu99ered engine matey.
It's possible that Rogue have a newly rebuild engine on the shelf that they could sell you on an exchange basis.
Supply or supply and fit.
Might be worth enquiring when they re-open on Monday.
Would certainly be a solution to get the car running again very soon.
Rowland

s:D :D s:D

Jelle

Arrggghh Monday is ages away   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I will give them a phone. Will they be able to collect the car? That will be expensive I guess   s:( :( s:(  

Why oh why did it have to be a public holiday!

Rowland

Quote from: "Jelle"Arrggghh Monday is ages away   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I will give them a phone. Will they be able to collect the car? That will be expensive I guess   s:( :( s:(  

Why oh why did it have to be a public holiday!

lol - Sometimes it's simply sods law!

I can't comment on them collecting the car but it's worth asking.
If I were you though I'd get the AA or RAC to take it even if you have to get a 'mate' or family member with AA membership to swing it for you.
That way you don't even have to travel over with the car OR more importantly, pay for transporting it...

s:) :) s:)

Tags: