Another dead one :(

Started by Jelle, December 31, 2008, 19:05

Jelle

Really stupid question...

How do I get the RAC to take me?

Anonymous

You need either you or a family member to have RAC, personal, from home cover. They will recover to the nearest Toyota garage. First off though, you need to have a car that isn't working because if they make it go properly then they fulfil their contract.

Rowland

Quote from: "sandstrain"You need either you or a family member to have RAC, personal, from home cover. They will recover to the nearest Toyota garage. First off though, you need to have a car that isn't working because if they make it go properly then they fulfil their contract.

My experience with the AA is they will take you anywhere in the UK rather than to your nearest Toyota garage.
For instance last year I was due to race my mk2 mr2 race car at Silverstone on Sunday morning.
Come Saturday night my road legal race car suffered a broken alternator despite it only being 8 weeks old.

I called the AA with the car on my driveway at 9.00pm
They came out within the hour
They diagnosed the fault as seized bearing in the alternator
AA representative asked me where the car was going as he wouldn't be able to repair it
I replied Silverstone
I gave him the address for his sat-nav
He loaded up the car and away he went whilst I sat watching Eastenders
11.00pm car delivered to Silverstone

I drove down and fortunately had track side support service so the Rogue Motorsport boys had it fixed by 8.30 am

s:D :D s:D

Jelle

Does anyone know if others have gone over the 7 year period and had any luck getting a contribution or discount on parts and labor because of this fault?

Ilogik

Quote from: "Jelle"Does anyone know if others have gone over the 7 year period and had any luck getting a contribution or discount on parts and labor because of this fault?
think you are pretty screwed past 7 years, 7 years is pretty much long time.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "Jelle"Does anyone know if others have gone over the 7 year period and had any luck getting a contribution or discount on parts and labor because of this fault?

7 Years is already a goodwill gesture beyond the 3 year mechanical warranty that was given with the car.

Anonymous

Yep, I got a flat no over 7 years and to add insult to injury, this particular Mr T wanted £4,500 for an engine swap.  Hmm, thanks but no thanks.

Jelle

Quote from: "Ilogik"

Yeah I know, but the car shouldn't need a replacement engine because Toyota decided to let cars go with a design fault.

Ilogik

the range is so random though, in 7 years the milage can cover can be very different, some may not venture out often, some may use it and cock up 150k. Same with the engine failures happen at random, some cars running 100k no problem, so where would they draw the line? For 4.5k, you could fit a 2ZZ engine and still have change.

Do you know what sort of oil they used when servicing the car, and how often your mum had oil changed + filter?
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "Jelle"
Quote from: "Ilogik"

Yeah I know, but the car shouldn't need a replacement engine because Toyota decided to let cars go with a design fault.

So where is your proof that Toyota KNEW that there was a design fault (which they still dont acknowledge) when they originally built and sold the Roadster?

I doubt that anyone would have been prepared to pay 100% more for a new roadster in order to get an unlimited mileage / age warranty.

I personally think that Toyota are being rather generous with the 7 years - they are doing it as a gesture of goodwill - I dont see Ford etc doing the same. What about BMW with the fault that they KNOW and ACKNOWLEDGE exists with the valve timing controller on a lot of their engines - they still dont cover that outside the 3 year warranty.

I know it sounds harsh, but you are stuck with the repair of an OLD (by modern standards!) vehicle, and no amount of moaning about it is going to Toyota to cough up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ilogik"you could fit a 2ZZ engine and still have change.

A 2ZZ as got it's own design problems,  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   plus the performance at low revs is worse than a stock 1ZZ which is where the majority of users tend to drive.

At the end of the day it's an out of production old car by todays standards, which is still lasting very well when you consider the numbers engines produced for the MR2 and other Toyota models.

Rob.

markiii

2zz torque curve is teh same as teh 1zz until you hit lift
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"2zz torque curve is the same as the 1zz until you hit lift

That's about when they drop - the lifters that is  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

so hos is that worse than a 1zz then?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"so hos is that worse than a 1zz then?

I thought the torque was lower - it's certainly lower than mine  s:D :D s:D

Jelle

Thanks for all the replies. Car is going into storage for now and a new engine next month, getting quotes now.

Bought a 106 today, not as much fun but hey ho. Project car will be ready for greenlaning next weekend   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

If anyone fancies driving an endurance rally there are places still going on the Oz Rally

w www.ozrally.co.uk w
 w www.rachiesbigadventure.com w

Cheers   s:D :D s:D

Tags: