2ZZ here i come

Started by Jap GT300, January 28, 2004, 14:24

Jap GT300

I am picking it up on Saturday and it cost me £850 with all ancillaries.  I haven't got a clue who I am going to get to fit it but I may have a go myself as I have access to some engine lifts.  It took me ages scowering the internet and magazines and I can't believe I found one so cheap in the end.  It's about a third of the price of a turbo!

So much for my 180 NA project.  I may start it up again on kerries 2' if we don't go turbo.  There maybe some goodies up for sale soon.

Adam

markiii

I'd keep hold of most of yor goodies, I seem to remember that the2zz exhaust ports are only marginally different. Gettign the PPE header to mate up shouldn't be that big a job.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

fancy a hand?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

Quote from: "markiii"fancy a hand?

Ohh Yes   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

If I were closer I would offer to spectate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Jap GT300

Okay, thanks to Marks help I have just realised that I have hit a serious problem with my plan.

Does anyone know of the part number for the SMT ECU used in the US spec Celica?

Thanks Adam

markiii

you'll need the engine ECU for teh SMT Celica as well.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Okay, thanks to Marks help I have just realised that I have hit a serious problem with my plan.

Does anyone know of the part number for the SMT ECU used in the US spec Celica?

Thanks Adam

IIRC the SMT in the Celica was 6 speed right from the start, so you are going to have a problem with that. Also the engine ECU is specific to the SMT version too, so you will also need that....... $ $ $ $ $ $

Do you not have a manual '2 that you can convert?

markiii

good point steve, not sure if teh US celica's were 6 speed though.

Jap GT300

Here is something that Mark had mentioned

QuoteA full manual swop?

Possible though you'd need the gearbox from the celica and a new shaft(or a wrecked -3 roadster and no new shaft.) pedalbox. shifter, cables e.t.c. There are more issues here than just the engine swap. Possible though a long job.

If I didn't go this route the only other option would be to take the 1zz from kerries manual 2' mount this unit in my 2' and then let her have the 2zz.

hmmm, i seem to be losing out here, and I just turned down a salvage MR-S (manual) for £600.   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

don't think the Celica has smt, just an auto - check on the celica-club

markiii

yep, after a log trawl it comes with ECT rather than SMT which doesn't help really.

Jap GT300

Mark,

Here are the only photos I have of the SMT being stripped.  It doesn't take long to remove everything!

Thanks Adam

markiii

not really clear from the pics, can you remember if the 2 shifter cables are satill used running front to back.?

The shifter cage looks like it would bolt right up (may as well buythe TRD one if yor going to do it) but I'm concerned about the cables. Vould be fun getting them in if the smt doesn't use them.

Jap GT300

I remember from when we stripped it that it is a full drive by wire system.  There were no cables in sight.

I'm going to pick up the 2ZZ in an hour!

Adam

ps wouldn't the SMT buttons be good for Nitrous afterwards   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

you've already blown one engine   s:P :P s:P  

ok, so we need shift cage. shift boot. cables, any pics of the tranny casing so we can see how the SMt connects to teh box? I assume it;'s teh same bellhousing?

Anybody?

Martin you have the SMT BGB don't you? care to take a look fo us?

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"you've already blown one engine   s:P :P s:P  

ok, so we need shift cage. shift boot. cables, any pics of the tranny casing so we can see how the SMt connects to the box? I assume it;'s the same bellhousing?

Anybody?

Martin you have the SMT BGB don't you? care to take a look fo us?

The SMT is all hydraulic - just a series of pistons connected to the pivot points that the cables would have connected to. The SMT selector is fly-by-wire (has to be cause otherwise the steering wheel buttons wouldn't work!)

markiii

a good point Mr Jeffrey

so I suppose we need to add clutch pedal to the above list, do you know at what point that becomes different?

Jap GT300

Mark, Steve

I made a similar post on SC and they have come up with a couple of therioes on using a Celica ECU.  I can't make out what they're saying but it might mean something to you.

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9791 m

Thanks Adam

SteveJ

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Mark, Steve

I made a similar post on SC and they have come up with a couple of therioes on using a Celica ECU.  I can't make out what they're saying but it might mean something to you.

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9791 m

Thanks Adam

Adam,

There is a misconception that the SMT is a 'drive by wire' setup. Certainly on my first SMT car, the throttle pedal was still linked to the throttle body by a cable - even with the battery disconnected, the throttle butterfly opened in response to the pedal. Not sure on the new one cause I haven't looked yet.

I really think that this project is a non-starter, but would love to be proved wrong.

Jap GT300

Steve

I've taken in what you have said.  A member on SC has posted this:

QuoteThis would be the complete ecu from the celica...not a piggy back

The 2003 and up model Celica GTS's are drive by wire.

Assuming that this runs the same system as you have stated above and that it is a 5 speed.  What do you think the possibility of transferring this ECU is?

Thanks  Adam

BTW have you seen Audis new DMG system can change gear in 0.02 secs

markiii

Adam,

Having read teh SC threads. I see where they are coming from, and although I'm not going to say it definately won't work, it might. (but I doubt it)

It depends on what your after. If you have the cash to find out and a serious desire to stay SMT then it could be worth exploring.

For my money you've got far more chance of making this work by converting to a manual. And it's likely to be cheaper.

It's going to be more involved than this, but not much.

1.  Remove SMT centre console section and replace with manual 5 speed cage and selector cables

2. Install clutch pedal.

4. Connect clutch pedal to clutch mechanism, not sure exactly what teh difference are but if Martin can post teh relvant pages from the SMT BGB we can compare them to the manual in book.

At this point engine off, we should have a gearbox that works like a manual.

5. Remove all the hydraulics associated with teh SMT and its ECU.

6. I honestly have no idea whether the main engine ECU can cope without the SMT talking to it, I'd be interested to know, but since you'll be using teh 2zz ECU anyway it's not relevant in this instance.

7. Now ALL    s:( :( s:(   we have to contend with is the actual 2zz swap, but at least we know a couple of people who've done it.

8. decide if the 2zz power spike is ok in the roadster if not, you'll need a PFC or equivelant.

As an aside did you get teh box with the 2zz? Littlerocket has raised teh issue that the 2zz is far better suited to the 6 speed. So if we're doing this we may as well go the whole hog.

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"6. I honestly have no idea whether the main engine ECU can cope without the SMT talking to it, I'd be interested to know, but since you'll be using the 2zz ECU anyway it's not relevant in this instance.

The engine ECU will not allow you to turn the engine over unless it gets a signal from the SMT ECU to say that the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is fully disengaged.

This won't be a problem because you are planning to put the 2ZZ ECU in, but I very much doubt that the wiring loom will be right, as the 2ZZ has more control gear for the VVTL, so there will be additional connections. This alone will account for most of the cost involved when doing the 2ZZ swap.

I would suggest you speak directly to one of the SC guys who has done the swap in a manual car, then get yourself a manual car to actually do the work on.

markiii

2 issues,

manual swap and 2zz swap.

if you want teh 6 speed theres bugger all difference.

If you stay with teh 5 speed, it's still 2 jobs.

we know the 2zz can be fitted (granted there are wiring issues to overcome but they have been overcome)

and the box swap.

as longs as you prove that you can engage the gears while stationary (engine off) then you just did the box.

it doesn't have to be that hard.

Jap GT300

I didn't get the box with the engine, but I have just asked to purchase that as well.  Couldn't get the engine in the Disco so i am getting it delivered.  I'll see if they can send it all at once.

It would make sense that we should go 6 speed.

Tags: