2ZZ here i come

Started by Jap GT300, January 28, 2004, 14:24

markiii

I could be tempted to just buy th emanual loom from that scrapped one. near you.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Actually, as I recall, the loom was still there and appeared un-molested. I It might be a good idea...

Also the plastics for re-trimming the roll hoops were there as well?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

Quote from: "GSB"Also the plastics for re-trimming the roll hoops were there as well?

What part is this?

I will order the manual loom then and the clutch hydraulic lines from underneath the car.

Thanks Adam

Jap GT300

Blizo seems to think we can use the SMT loom as long as all the sensors it connects to are gearbox end.  

I will have to check this tonight by laying the loom back around the engine.

GSB

Quote from: "Jap GT300"What part is this?

The plastics that run up the rear of the door apatures to the hood surround. Yours that have a hole in them for the roll hoop / style bar to come through thats about an inch to big. Thought you might like to have another go...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

ahhh.  I was actually going to try and get a rubber gromit for those like the TTE bar uses.  I didn't think they looked that bad   s:( :( s:(

GSB

Quote from: "Jap GT300"ahhh.  I was actually going to try and get a rubber gromit for those like the TTE bar uses.  I didn't think they looked that bad   s:( :( s:(

They dont look that bad...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Mark and I were discussing it the other day, and whilst I mentioned to him that un-drilled plastics were still available, I forgot to tell you. So now you know...

markiii

I have a cure for you, approx £4
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

Great, what is it?

markiii

Ikea do packs of the plastic cirular inserts for desks.

the idea is you cut a hole, and put the insert into it. they consist of a plastic ring (just bigger than your roll bar) and an insert with a slot for cables.

discard the insert.

if you can't slide it over the end of the netz, though I think you can. cut the ring (carefully with a fine hacksaw) and bend slightly to allow you to get it around the bar.

You may need to sand down the seat side of the ring slightly. but if you do, a few coats of flat black paint will hide the evidence.

Jap GT300

Well it looks like the SMT loom will work okay.  We will just have to ignore the additional connections.

I am having a nightmare working out this wiring diagram.  If the offer is still open Mark could I drop it up to you?

Thanks Adam

markiii

no problem.

Jap GT300

Have you had a look at the loom yet Mark?  I know it's a daunting task.

LittleRocket has just confirmed receipt of the Shaft, so hopefully that won't take too long to get back.

I have ordered the hydraulic lines that go from the Clutch reservoir to the Slave cylinder.  Do you know if this is a solid line or hose?

The only part I think I need now is the Gearbox side gear linkage bracket.  Does anyone know the location of any other salvage 2's?

Thanks Adam

markiii

not yet. anglesey kind of got in the way. hopefully will take a look tommorow.

Jap GT300

No rush, I was just interested to see if you had given up on it yet   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Hey Adam, IN the process of getting all the bits and pieces together top convert your GT300 from SMT to manual, did you get hold of the leather gearshift gaiter?

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... gory=36679 m

Jap GT300

Ah ha, great minds think alike.  I bid on that about 1hr ago

markiii

thought I'd update you all.

While embarking on the modification of Adams wiring loom, I have discovered that it is completely different to the Manual.

The manual loom has 4 connectors going into the ECU the SMT only 2. Looking at the bus connector that goes to teh SMT ECU (see  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2970 m )

it seems the SMT ECU does more than I first thought.

Heres the SMT Wiring loom (I'll update later)

And here is the 1zzSMT ECU

And heres the 2zz M/T ECU

[/img]

Jap GT300

I should have the manual loom this weekend.  I will try and drop it up then if it is convienient.

Thanks Adam

Jap GT300

Slowly getting there.

The broken sensor we found on the side of the engine that we thought was to do with the VVT Lift turned out to be an oil pressure sensor which I have swapped from the 1ZZ.

Still waiting on the shaft back from the US, hopefully it will be this week.

The manifolds both 1ZZ and 2ZZ have had the engine side flanges cut off and are ready to be re-welded.  For the moment I will be using a 1ZZ  gutted manifold with 2ZZ flange connected to main cat and TTE backbox.

1ZZ SMT loom is fitted to the engine but not plugged to the 2ZZ ECU.

Oil dipstick still needs to be re-bent and fitted.

And finally the clutch pedal, reservoir and hydraulic line need to be fitted.

I am going to be installing an aftermarket replacement or piggyback ECU, I have not yet purchased this but does anyone know if it is essential to have it installed before the car is driveable?

Thanks Adam

markiii

the car will drive fine with teh stock ecu as long as teh intake piping and throttle body connections are correct if IIRC.

not wishing to rain on teh parade but teh 2zz sits slightly differentyl to teh 1zz, it's might work, but theres no guarantee that the 1zz manifold with 2zz flange is going to mate up to teh stock cat pipe that easily.

Jap GT300

I have made an intake out of the original 2ZZ piping with the MAF at similar lengh from the throttle body as on the Celica it's only down fall is that it has a Blitz filter.  I will be changing this but it's the only I've got at home.

I worked out that the 2ZZ exhaust ports sit 3cm higher than the 1ZZ.  I believe there is enough clearance under the rear support to account for this.  In any event the 1ZZ manfold exit points downwards and the 2ZZ points backwards.  So there is room for error because of the CAT's flexi joint.

markiii

intake will work ok, your right about teh blitz though  :-) :-) :-)

gald to see you considered the exhaust, Personally I don't think teh flexi joint has sufficient movement to accomadate that bi a difference though. Still as long as youdon't need to drive it zan hour after your fitting it, theres time to resolve it  :-) :-) :-)

Jap GT300

Come to think of it I have 2 spare main cats so I could bodge something together there as well if needed.

GSB

Adam,

I had a look at my new manuals and found that the little device bolted to the cylinder head on the 1zz (the one that served no visible function) is in fact a noise filter (i.e. capacitor). Its lumped in with the igniton system wiring in the book so its probably to stop noise from the ignition coils. If the 2zz doesnt have one of these, then that wire can be relocated in the ecu plug in order to serve as the "lift" oil pressure switch connection.

Tags: