Shifter bushings?

Started by markiii, January 29, 2004, 00:05

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

While replacing the bushings like that may make the shift seem more direct surely the lack of any sort of damping is going to transmit vibrations much more, with the possible deteriation of parts further up the chain falling apart sooner?

That's the only reason I could think would be a problem.

GSB

Quote from: "phil4"While replacing the bushings like that may make the shift seem more direct surely the lack of any sort of damping is going to transmit vibrations much more, with the possible deteriation of parts further up the chain falling apart sooner?

Agreed. Thats exact;y what'll happen.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

I had those in my Mk1 MR2 and loved them. Didn't really find any downsides...

And with 20 euros shipped to Europe, you can throw them away if you don't like them  s8) 8) s8)

So the same set should fit the Roadster as well, right?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

If you decide to order Mark, I'll go for some with you.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I've had them for about 10-15k miles, no problems so far.

markiii

did you see an improvement?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Just ordered a set.

GSB

Make sure those of you who fit these give your linkages a good going over to make sure everythings tight, and dont forget the loctite... Finding you have no gears late at night in a dark country lane is no laughing matter, as finding the uniqely shaped circlip that dropped off and you are now desperatley in need of in the dark isnt very easy...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"did you see an improvement?

A slight improvement, but had I changed them later I'm sure I would've seen a bigger difference.  For the low cost of them you can't go wrong.

Jap GT300

Just ordered a set to go with my 2zz setup.

Only £14.15 shipped from  w www.speed-source.net w  in the US.

Tem

Just installed those...had to guess which is which  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

The install instructions talk about a lower and upper bushing. But they are pretty much even. Also the upper is supposed to be horizontal and the lower vertical, but they are both horizontal.

The other is slightly bigger, but I can't measure them. We are talking about less than 0.05mm difference here  s:? :? s:?

Any ideas..?

Slacey

I kind of guessed too Tem (installed them three weeks ago), putting the one with the 'L' stamped on it on the cable furthest to the back left.
It works great (none of the binding that the instructions mention if you put them in the wrong way), and the feel is improved stacks IMO - I don't have any trouble shifting into first and second anymore either, which I used to with the rubber ones.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"I kind of guessed too Tem (installed them three weeks ago), putting the one with the 'L' stamped on it on the cable furthest to the back left.
It works great (none of the binding that the instructions mention if you put them in the wrong way), and the feel is improved stacks IMO - I don't have any trouble shifting into first and second anymore either, which I used to with the rubber ones.

Yeah, I put the L on the left one as well. Did you have a little slack in it..?

Everything seems ok, but I installed them before trying the shifter with stock stuff...and I haven't used the car since November, so I can't really compare  s:? :? s:?  It feels bloody stiff compared to my winter beater  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"Yeah, I put the L on the left one as well. Did you have a little slack in it..?
Can't say I really noticed.. I should have gone for a drive before, then fitted them for a direct comparison. Anyway, as I said it feels great to me.

Anonymous

Aren't these the same sort of thing you get with the B&M short shifter kit as shown the MR2-ROC guide?

m http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/ ... ifter2.php m

Anonymous

Quote from: "yorkie"Aren't these the same sort of thing you get with the B&M short shifter kit as shown the MR2-ROC guide?

m http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/ ... ifter2.php m

Those Kumosport bushings shown aren't supplied with the B&M Shifter... as the article says, they are an option to "remove some of the sloppiness".  And are a seperate product.

And I think that those Kumosport bushines fit under the shifter cage, and not around the gearbox as the ones being discussed here are.

markiii

kumosport bushings or teh ones that come with the B&M do indeed replace the rubber ones under teh shifter cage.

The ones discussed in this thread replace th rubber bushings at the gearbox end.

Anonymous

I sit half corrected  s:) :) s:)

Tags: